ABW Ambassador
    Spamming via emails, or mail fraud and Violating the Terms of Use Policy - WTF!!!! Anyone on here that knows me knows that I DON'T EVEN USE EMAIL CAMPAIGNS - I can't even build a freakin mailing list for crying out loud!!!! I think they were mad because my site was down all weekend and I emailed them like 3-4 times about it because they never responded in the time frame that they said. By the 4th email I was pretty demanding and questioned their customer service - but I never swore, honest I didn't. ;0 Prior to them telling me my account was terminated for this one particular url - I noticed early that morning that their actual site was down for about 1/2 hour and so were ALL my other sites including the one I had problems with this weekend. So I thought Okay, there fixing the problem. Now it's funny that their site was down - thus indicating they were probably fixing their server. Yet once their site was back up I get this email several hours later talking about my account was terminated becasue of Violation of Use Policy. No mention of their server being down. Umm, NO - my account was terminated because I got on your freakin nerves and you didn't like how I came at you. I DON'T EVEN DO EMAIL CAMPAIGNS. Yet none of my other accounts were terminated with them. Oh, I'm so mad at them. Hey there are plenty other host in the sea.

ABW Ambassador
    Jada...that is interesting...I'm curious about who your host is...if you don't want to publish it, you can PM it to me...

Tom Pyles

Just because you don't use mailing lists on your host doesn't mean other people don't use your host to do their mailing lists. This is something that you should take seriously and investigate. Someone could easily have been using something like Formmail on your server to send out emails and you don't even know it. I would discuss this with them in a concerning tone to find out exactly what happened. Sounds like your already in a bad relationship with them so that might not be that easy.

Where did you get you host from anyway, some CJ link?

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Hey, hey, I found my host by cj.com! Not that I would have limited myself to them, but I figured heck I may as well take a look there first. Then I spent a month looking at them, and reading reviews and feeling stressed out about the decision.

I tried the same thing again recently to spread my hosting out, but I'm spoiled now and don't have any patience with lousy service.

ABW Ambassador
    Webmistress,
    A new customer recently came to me about a similar incident..that is why I was curious about who hosts your site...Does it Start with a 'J' by any chance...

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >Someone could easily have been using
    >something like Formmail on your server
    >to send out emails and you don't even
    >know it.

Exactly. I hav removed formmail.pl from ALL my servers, even though I wasn't using it anymore.

The risks are too great. If it's in your cgi-bin directory, REMOVE IT.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Anyone on here that knows me<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

well.. let's see... we dont know your web site 'cause you don't provide us with the url. We don't know your real name... I respect the person(s) I meet via this board, but we don't really know each other personally. I aint trying to be hard headed with you Jada, but it's the truth - we don't know you, or each other on a personal level. O.K., for the sake of argument, I don't know anyone on a personal level on this board. I know the nick names on this board, and the people behind them seem to be good people, including you [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[ 03-05-2002: Message edited by: Big Chuck ]

Jada,

I think Jason at FreebiesForever had that same problem on 3/1/02. He said his site was falsely removed for "spam abuse".

This definitely sounds to me like something worth investigating.

-Joey

ABW Ambassador
    Guys - I don't know nothing about formmail.pl or whatever you call it nor did it exist in my ftp account. I don't even know how to do a spam mail if I wanted to.

My site is now hosted with another host that actually has a phone number this time. That host only provided email support and when I questioned them nicely about what happened I am still WAITING for a reply. Forget them!!!

Tom,
    I don't hide the fact that all my sites are hosted at FutureQuest. I love them to bits (or is that bytes?).
    At the end of December I wanted to start playing with MySQL, and didn't want to install it on my (at that time) machine. AT FQ you must have a gold account to get databases. So I cruised my links again.
    I had a disasterous experience with StinkHost, which ended within about two weeks. Everything was horrid. I think too much is being done there by automatic scripts. So the automatic script tagged my account 24 hours after it was automatically set up and cut my access. "High risk" was the reason given since I was logged on via an overseas ISP and my cc addy is in the US. That got cleared, and I could access everything, started setting up and then couldn't run my Cusimano Allposters.pl script due to limits in the memory allowed. When I asked what was going on they told me to try a particular shell command.... which was disallowed when I tried it. They changed the settings and said to try it again. But in the mean time my automatic payment for the first of January bounced due to the address problem again, and they sent an automatic note about paying the bounced payment fee.

I told them to close the account. I opened another one at FQ.

And I never did get my commission on the first payment made in December to StinkHost(not that it would have added up to anything serious, but it is one of those "oh, gee, what happened to the data between batch updates?").

I have a question for those of you who know the other side of hosting. My FTP access at FutureQuest is lightning fast and now with ADSL on an XP machine it never freezes my FTP client up. Nowhere else seems as fast. I have some folks at FreeHostingWeb.com, and I have some space on a server of a friend of my business partner, and even now it's a slow process. I don't know how to explain to my business partner's friend what the difference could be. Any ideas?

Sorry if that's off topic and I should start another thread. Jada, many hosts have Formmail pre-installed in the cgi-bin of the accounts that are setup. Too bad they don't pre-install a valid referrer script as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>AT FQ you must have a gold account to get databases. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is so funny! My cheapest package offers two Mysql databases. After all, MySql is free.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    "Does it Start with a 'J' by any chance...~Tom"

I could THROTTLE "J" and Names4Ever, too!!!

Seems the DNS change they did went through okay at every registrar I used except that one! And when I try to change it at Names4Ever it WON'T CHANGE, Rargh, argh (()**&^*&()!!!!

I've already hollered at Names in an email hopefully they'll get it right now!

Massive frustration!

Maybe I won't be too quick to move that ANGELFIRE site to paid hosting, after all--it IS up!

J's been okay until now but currently I am about ready to spit nails!

[ 03-07-2002: Message edited by: Leader ]

Correction: my commission from my disaster with StinkHost did show up. Those batched transactions are fun to catch in the stats.

@Domino, well now I have a new machine and will probably install my own modules for learning. In all honesty, I know I pay more for certain services at FQ, but as I said, I get the best service I've found yet. Hosting is one of the things I don't feel is worth cutting corners on.

ABW Ambassador
    Leader,
    Yes...been hearing a lot about it...should be taken care of soon (from what I hear), but those I know that are hosted with them are having a similar problem...I tried calling for a friend and for the first time I'm getting a busy signal...not even getting into their phone system...just steady busy signal...

Argh! I can imagine that their phone lines are overloaded!!

Most of the sites are resolving okay, thankfully. It's just the one that I registered at Names4Ever that's problematic. They haven't picked up the change in the nameservers.

"Taken care of soon"...yeah, right AFTER the Googlebot goes by everything will be fine! (I saw that thread where GB's been spotted...)

I would have ripped the registration away from Names4Ever long ago but BulkRegister said they could only take transfers from NetSol...

Update: Just checked at Names4Ever...they FINALLY have the new IPs for the nameservers. So this TORTURE should be ending once that propagates...

[ 03-07-2002: Message edited by: Leader ]

ABW Ambassador
    Leader...not sure about that..there have been some problems with sites hosted by 'J' not coming up at all...it's not the domain names, but the servers...I actually got through this time....sat waiting for customer service for 10 minutes, then received a recording to leave my name and number...sheesh....

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Just because you don't use mailing lists on your host doesn't mean other people don't use your host to do their mailing lists. This is something that you should take seriously and investigate. Someone could easily have been using something like Formmail on your server to send out emails and you don't even know it. I would discuss this with them in a concerning tone to find out exactly what happened. Sounds like your already in a bad relationship with them so that might not be that easy.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could you elaborate a bit on how we would know if someone was doing this? thx

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >Guys - I don't know nothing about
    >formmail.pl or whatever you call it

Probably the easiest way to ascertain if formmail.pl is on your server would be to attempt to access it:
    http://www.example.com/cgi-bin/formmail.pl

Put your own domain name in the appropriate place.

If it's there, get it removed.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Could you elaborate a bit on how we would know if someone was doing this? thx<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Check your log file for accesses to that file.

Right now I'm dealing with a Korean company that is simply putting an email address with one of my domain names in their reply-to field. Which really bites, because there isn't much you can do to stop them.

How did I find out they were doing this? I think I'm on every spam list that exists -- I got a piece of their spam to one of my other email addresses.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by webmistress:
    I had a disasterous experience with StinkHost, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I too had a terrible experience with stinkhost. my storage stats with them were moving up (and went through the package limit) even though i haven't ftp'd anything.

since i'll be paying for the nonexistent extra storage, i immediately brought this to their attention ... but i was threatened instead with a huge hourly customer support rate.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Hawk,

Here's a thought: Try cleaning out your old log files. Sometimes they can grow to monstrous proportions, unseen in the background. I'm wondering if that might be where the extra space usage is coming from. It's worth a look, at least.

Elisabeth Archambault

Tom, All my sites are operational again now except one. Hopefully the last one will be running before I go to bed this morning!

Update: It's UP!!! Yes, whew!

They seem to have restored it from a backup. The front page isn't showing my latest updates. From the looks of it, the backup was made just before they announced the "upgrade".

Now to fight with the infernal new interface to reupload the changes... I'll wait a few hours to make sure everything's really set and then it's back to rumblin'!

But right now I'm just glad to see my sites all up!

[ 03-08-2002: Message edited by: Leader ]

ABW Ambassador
    There are two ways you can get an accusation of spamming.

One was mentioned: having an old copy of formmail.pl or cgi on your server. Matt's old script was found to have a bug that allows the relaying of spam. If you update to 1.9, the problem goes away. To show you how big of a problem this is, our servers get hit with 50-100 requests per day from people looking for old copies of the script so they can then send spam thru it.

The other way of getting the spam accuation is via spamcop. Spamcop allows anyone to report spam. The problem is, it can accuse anyone who's url is in the spam of being the spammer. IF you ever get a report from spamcop, don't ignore it. Goto the link provided and answer their allegation. Otherwise you'll be labeled a spammer.

Just thought you should know. :-)

[ 03-08-2002: Message edited by: nighthawk ]

ABW Ambassador
    Leader...yup they are back up...a couple of sites I know of there are experiencing problems...with the execution of scripts. I was told that all of that would work after the move...they don't...and you are correct..looks like they restored from 304 days ago....

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread