ABW Ambassador
    If I set up several folders under one main site for other domains (new sites), and use the "frames" domain forwarding hosting option on my Plesk control panel, instead of individual hosting set-ups for each site, will any or all of those sites be penalized by the search engines ?

I really don't know what I'm doing here, but I want to "use up" a bunch of domain names with a few mini" sites before they expire, and I wind up doing nothing with them but wasting my money [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I hope I'm making sense . Using the "frame" forwarding for the domains, the visitors only see the domain name I want them to see in their browser, instead of the "main" , junk freebie site URL that all the "folders and other domains" are under .

I just don't know if this set-up will hurt or help as far as the search engines go , or if it makes any difference at all.

Any advice would be great !

Lisa

[ 02-28-2002: Message edited by: Lisa ]

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks, that's all I needed to know !

Lisa

ABW Ambassador
    Come on, please someone ...Say something here . I feel like I'm getting the cold shoulder treatment .

Lisa

ABW Ambassador
    Sorry, Lisa, I don't understand what you're proposing clearly enough to say anything intelligent. All I know is that frames have a bad reputation for making it hard to get ranked in the search engines. That's not the same as a penalty, though. One thing you might want to watch is whether the frames would make you end up with the effect of a merchant site trying to set a cookie that looks like it's coming from a "third party". Webmistress mentioned that as a concern the other day - in reference to Ask Jeeves, I think. There might be some tracking concerns there.

I don't think that qualifies as two cents worth, but there it is anyhow, to warm up your shoulder just a bit!

Elisabeth Archambault

ABW Ambassador
    Lisa,
    I know exactly what you are saying. I just haven't been able to determine an answer yet. I get mixed answers..some say it doesn't matter...other say it does. I have recently set up several domains like this (including the infamous songwriter4u.net site). I've submitted them...now I'm waiting to see what happens...

Tom Pyles

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Elisabeth for trying !

The sites would not be using frames, it is just the way that the domains would be hosted and redirected to different folders within another site. You are a doll for being the first to answer my plea for help [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Tom, I'm glad you understand what I'm talking about and why I'm a bit worried . The part that bothers me , is the folders (new sites/domains), would be accessible under the main sites domain by typing in the full URL folder/html/img file extensions .

What I was thinking, is that SE's might index these under the main domain and not the individual domains , which is no good, but not the end of the world, as long as they are indexed, that's okay.

But, by doing it this way, and since the main site is all ready indexed in several engines, I may not even have to submit them ,they may get indexed easier as "updates" and new content on the main site , as it is harder and harder now to get into Inktomi, Google, etc. it may be a good thing .

What to do, what to do ?

Lisa

ABW Ambassador
    Lisa,
    I think you are correct....as an example (again), the site songwriter4u.com doesn't really show in any search engines. When searching for that womans name, I always get her geocities url. It could be the way she is submitting (if she even is submitting), or the way the crawlers are picking up.

ABW Ambassador
    Tom, I think there may be another problem with this type of set-up.

When I ran a check at Netmechanic, I get the response that there is a Netscape browser incompatibility for all Netscape browsers, and IE 3 with the domain "frameset" redirect, but the same page shows ZERO browser incompatibilities when the main domain/folder/file extension is used .

If Netmechanic picked up the original domain, when I didn't even enter it, I'm sure the SE's will too, and the new domains may not even get indexed in some engines because of this "frameset incompatibility" it shows.

I see it also serves to slow down page load time by about 2 seconds, and more on slower internet connections .

I don't think I will host the domains this way, looks like it might just be "asking for trouble"

Lisa

ABW Ambassador
    You are probably right (BTW, sorry I missed the question early on..didn't see my name in the subject). I think you are correct on this. I made some submissions, and I am really not seeing anything come up on sites that are hosted like this. If you are going to use if for something simple (like our songwriter4u page) it would suffice. For a full website, shopping, etc that you want spidered...should stick with a 'true' website. I am working on a few things to offer ABW members a discount on hosting, especially multiple accounts. Keep an eye on the boards for more info in the next week or so, or you can PM me if you want more info.

Tom Pyles

ABW Ambassador
    2 things:

1. you are using frames. The "framing" feature of your DNS really is just putting a zero size frame at the top and the bottom frame is your site. Search engines will only pay attention to the top/first frame.

2. Some search engines will bounce your listings for having duplicate sites under different domain names. Google and AV both will bounce you for this if informed.

it's far better to simple setup separate sites for each domain and each have, more or less, unique content.

Depending on how many you have and how much money you are making, it might be worth it.

We can help with the hosting if you are so inclined.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread