Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    they are supposed to be top rated and I see Haiko is displaying their banner to. Haiko - any experience with them?? Anyone else??

I moved one of my domains to them a couple of weeks ago. So far so good. I like to be able to personally recommend the companies I promote, so I have domains hosted at 5 different places. Or was it six?

ABW Ambassador
    thanks missdonna for the review. have you been with any others for awhile that you would recommend??

I can't really recommend any I've been with for long - It seems they start out young and enthusiastic, and they are wonderful to work with. Then before long they start getting busy and they can't be bothered with my insignificant problems. I have 3 on my recommended list right now, that I have been working with for only a short time, and they all seem to be OK. Your-site.com offers 50MB storage, 6GIG monthly traffic, $18 total for 3 months and $60 total for 1 year. I've been with them for a short time, but I don't have any complaints.

Hi,

I've got no experience with IPowerweb, but I suggest you to look here:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com

Maybe you can there find some info about them

I've only heard good things about them.

I've got one site hosted with iPowerweb, I had some problems with the initial FTP and the help wasn't as good as the other hosts I use, all working fine now though. I felt like I was getting standard replies to my tech problems rather than a fix.
    I'm happier with i1internet hosting, the only problem there is they only have 1 plan with a 5gig monthly transfer limit. If you can live with the bandwidth limits, i1 is very good and the tech support are helpful.

[ 03-13-2002: Message edited by: potato ]

I also use iPowerweb and have the same problem. Do you use SSI on your pages with them? Could you answer a couple of questions if you do?

SSanf, nope.. I'm a basic-kit coder, no fancy stuff

Thanks, anyhow.

ABW Ambassador
    Your Site seems pretty good too - thanks missdonna.

SSanf - I'm going to be adding some SSI to the site I moved to iPowerweb as soon as I get the time. I haven't tried yet, so I don't know what problems I'll encounter. Maybe I can help you with your questions.

Thanks!

Jada..

Don't you think it's time you got a dedicated server? You'd save a bundle..

Regards,
    TK

TK
    When is it worth getting a dedicated server? I mean, what level of traffic do you need to hit to make it worthwhile. I've only used shared hosting so far and don't know if or when I should think about moving up.

potato..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>When is it worth getting a dedicated server? I mean, what level of traffic do you need to hit to make it worthwhile. I've only used shared hosting so far and don't know if or when I should think about moving up. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The decision to get my first dedicated server was an economic one.. Because of the requirements of my non-affiliate sites, it was costing me a fortune for shared hosting. I also found it restrictive as every time I wanted something done, I'd have to wait 24 hours or more and then they'd charge me for it as well..

Now I have a number of servers and I'd never go back to shared hosting.. They are a lot easier to run than you'd imagine, and if you have a lot of sites it works out a lot cheaper. The best part though is the speed.. You can put any domain/site you own online within a few minutes, add any features you want such as different stat programs, databases, sub-domains, etc, all on the fly.. I also save a packet just because of the number of sites I have..

If you're spending to much on shared hosting, then they are well worth it..

Regards,
    TK

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSanf:
    I also use iPowerweb and have the same problem. Do you use SSI on your pages with them? Could you answer a couple of questions if you do?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, I have my SSI working on the site, no problem. What were your questions?

Thanks, I understand that I have to make an html page with the information I want to insert into the other pages. What folder do I ftp this new page to? They have something called "Public HTML". Does it go there? If not, where?

Also, once I have that page ftp'd to the right folder, what do I write into the other pages to insert it?

If I want it to be the last thing in the page, for instance, do I just insert this tag on the page in the location I want to have the content like I would an image?

If I wanted to put it into a table, instead, would I create the table and put the tag inside the table cell?

[ 03-16-2002: Message edited by: SSanf ]

First thing, your page, the one you show the public, has to be .shtml, not .html - or it won't work.

Here's what I put in my .shtml page - you can change it to match yours:

< !--#include virtual="/includes/include1.txt" -->

where /includes/ is the folder I put in my public_html folder, and include1.txt is the text file that has the bit of text I want included in the .shtml page. It has to be saved as .txt though, not .html You can name your folder and your files anything you want.

I have a whole bunch of .txt files in that folder, so I can put one type of thing on one part of a page, and another somewhere else.

You put your include code on your page where you want the new stuff to appear. In a table, or wherever.

If this doesn't help, let me know and I'll try again.

Oh Kay!! That helps.

All the pages that I want to use includes have to be .shtml

That helps. I have to create a folder to put it into in the public_html folder! And, save the included stuff as .txt... Cool! If I want links, images, etc., do I use html codes in the .txt file?

This is something I have really been trying to get a handle on. Thanks!

That's right. Whatever you would have put in your html (shtml) page, as much code of any kind as you want to use.

The thing I'm including on the one I just did is a table with 3 images, each a link to a sponsor. And it all works.

[ 03-16-2002: Message edited by: missdonna ]

Frickin fantastic!

I really need this if I am ever going to move Spot's Graphics Archive to another server. Front Page makes you put each graphic on the server twice! Takes too darned much disk space.

I probably SHOULD redo "My Witch Shop" as well since I haven't even posted it to the web yet

Probably won't. But I might try it on My Pagan and Wiccan Jewelry Store since it needs a complete re-hab.

If I wanted to include a page from My Witch Shop in Pagan and Wiccan Jewelry Store, could I do that some way even though they are on different domains?

With a regular Server Side Include, it has to come from the same domain. I understand there is a way to include things from other domains, (probably several ways) but it's beyond my level of expertise. Maybe someone else will be able to help you with it.

You have been a tremendous help! Worst case scenerio would be to copy a few pages. Though, I would like of course, to be able to update parts of both sites concurently.

Thank you to the others who offered help, too.

I tried to e-mail back yesterday but for some reason the e-mail didn't work. I was going to try again today.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSanf:
    I tried to e-mail back yesterday but for some reason the e-mail didn't work. I was going to try again today.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm. Maybe I don't understand how this board's email settings work. but my email address isn't at all hard to find.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast