Just came in my email

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Please be aware that Verisign, Inc. (formerly Network Solutions) is sending via the US Mail, what we believe to be deceptive and predatory domain expiration notices.

The purpose behind these notices is to get the unsuspecting customer to transfer to and renew their domain name(s) with Verisign Inc. at significantly higher prices.

The domain expiration notices are designed so that it is not obvious that the notices are from Verisign, Inc. as opposed to Go Daddy Software. To see a copy of one of these deceptive expiration notices, please go to the following URL: http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/privat...isplay=letter.

Those customers who fall prey to the Verisign, Inc. scheme will have their domain name(s) renewed at a price more than 3 times higher than would be the case if they renewed with Go Daddy Software.

For a .com, .net or .org domain name renewal, the victimized customer would pay $29.00 to Verisign, Inc. instead of the $8.95 charged by Go Daddy Software.

Those customers who fall prey to this scheme, will not receive any better service or value. They will however be tricked out of $20.05 per domain name.

Renewal notices from Go Daddy Software are sent via email, and always mention the Go Daddy name. You can be sure that any communications you receive concerning your domain name that do not explicitly and obviously display the Go Daddy name are not from Go Daddy Software.

If you believe, as we do, that this practice of Verisign Inc. is misleading, predatory and improper, we invite you to make your feelings known by writing to ICANN (who is the governing body for all Registrar's and Registries) and to Verisign Registry. Email links for both are provided below.

Sincerely,

Bob Parsons, President
    Go Daddy Software, Inc.

ICANN Registrar Complaint Form (hosted at InterNIC) http://www.internic.net/cgi/registra...lem-report.cgi

VeriSign Registry Customer Service
    info@verisign-grs.com
    Phone: 703-948-3200

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ABW Ambassador
    Talk about sleazy! That has got to be a new low. The letter Verisign is sending out is going to trick a lot of people. That is really awful. They must be hurting for business pretty badly to do something as underhanded as that.

Kip

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    A very deceitful more, and typical of Verisign, who needs a high share price more than it values business ethics.

They're looking pretty bad for future revenue, what with the total number of CNO domains dropping dramatically (and set to fall further).

A sad, desperate attempt to steal business back from other Registrars who gave people good service and value for money.

Opensrs also sent out a warning to their RDP's about Verinasty's latest ploy.

And will ICANN do anything about it? Not bloody likely - too busy feathering their nest.

Verisign is not the only company that does this. I've gotten them for my domains from other places too. I can't recall off the top of my head who as I've always just tossed the notices out in the garbage but will update here when I get the next one. I have a couple domains coming up for renewal soon so I'm sure I will get some more.

ABW Ambassador
    I got one in the mail today as well. Yeah right, I would really want to switch to the most expensive game on the net. Just to get something done w/ a domain there is like getting babysheaven.com reactivated at CJ. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Mike

I just remember buying my first domain and those S.O.B's had monopoly on the market. It costed me 250 dollars on one domain name for a two year registration. :eek:

I got the same email from GoDaddy.

All I can say is You Go Daddy!

BulkRegister.com is also warning folks about this. A warning posted in the account section:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Date: 2002-03-22 17:23:03
    Subject: RENEWAL NOTICE ALERT!
    Body:
    BEWARE! It has recently come to our attention that customers
    have been receiving some potentially misleading renewal notices
    for their domain names. These recent notices from Verisign
    are sent via the U.S. Mail and are confusing and deceptive to
    the unsuspecting domain holder. The unaware customer might
    easily authorize the transfer and subsequently pay
    a higher renewal cost for their domains.

As a BulkRegister customer, we recommend that you carefully
    review all such mailings as well as notifying your customers.
    Please note that BulkRegister renewal notices are sent only
    via email and that domain renewals are processed by you directly
    through your BulkRegister account.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can assist you with
    any additional information. Thank you again for choosing
    BulkRegister. We appreciate your business.

Sincerely,

Your BulkRegister Team
    Support@bulkregister.com www.bulkregister.com

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brian

Well it's good to know that these companies are taking efforts to make us aware of this. I will never even consider using another verisign service.

I got one in the mail yesterday and I knew something was up because they wanted 30 bucks for the registration. Funny I remember paying 14.95.

The real problem is when mid size companies that recieve the letter think it is a bill and pay it before the proper person finds out what happened.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread