I host lots of my sites on my friends server, and I asked him once about what it would take to have the different domains on different IP addresses. Today he said.

"You spoke of wanting servers on different IP addresses once. Can you get others who would want that on board?"

So, would there be any interest in this? at the moment he hosts my domains as a favor and once in a while the Amazon Gift Certificate Fairy pays a call, but I think we're thinking of putting this on a professional basis.

I had in mind cross-linking of sites so that search engines would think they were not on the same host, but with just one host to deal with.

Feedback anyone?

I

Most resellers can assign you an IP per domain.

If you're talking about leasing out single dedicated servers, each with multiple IP addresses then yes, this is something I'd be interested in, depending on the cost....not exactly now but possibly in a few months time (depending on other things like features available and how fast my expansion plans go). Sounds a flaky answer I know but can't commit myself at this very moment.

Domino,

>Most resellers can assign you an IP per domain.

What I was wanting was several IPs that were sufficiently different that they can fool a search engine into thinking the sites were completely unrelated.

I think having the last set of numbers different isn't enough to do this. I mentioned it all to a friend who does some of my hosting and he's been thinking for a while. Today he tells me it can be done.

If this is something any host can do then we'll leave it, but if it isn't I'll tell him to go ahead.

Futuresky, as I understood very little of what you just said, I'll forward it to him.

This is a link to a discussion of the problem I had in mind:-
    http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum3/1326.htm?

I

[ 03-28-2002: Message edited by: Icicle ]

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread