ABW Ambassador
    I just got an urgent note from my host about a scam that's circulating:

======

Many domain-name registrants are receiving "Domain Dispute Notification" mailings from an entity identifying itself as "XChange Dispute Resolution."

The mailings FALSELY state
    that XChange is an "ICANN authorized arbitrator" (they are NOT) and that the registrant must mail in a "security deposit fee" to defend ownership of the domain name.

A scanned copy of the deceptive mailings is available at:
    http://www.icann.org/announcements/advisory-exh-08apr02 .htm

Registrants who receive the notice should contact an appropriate governmental law enforcement/consumer protection agency to report the incident. You should NOT send money as requested by this notice, as this is a complete scam.

=====

Me again. I hope this helps someone. Forewarned is forearmed.

Elisabeth Archambault

[ 04-10-2002: Message edited by: buckworks.com ]

I recently got this notice about a similar scam with domain renewal registrations;

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Dear NTT/VERIO Customer:

Customers recently notified NTT/VERIO that they have been receiving confusing postal mail solicitations, specifically related to domain registration renewals. Apparently, one or more of our competitors have been sending notices that look like a renewal forms and/or invoices from NTT/VERIO. While the packaging may not convey this message or state the company name, submission of these forms unintentionally transfers the customer's registrar from NTT/VERIO to another company and/or registrar.

NTT/VERIO's legal team is taking steps to try and stop these notices. Cease and desist letters have been delivered to the offending competitors and a complaint has been filed with the Federal Trade Commission. In the meantime, please do not to take any action with respect to solicitations that do not bear the NTT/VERIO name. If you have any questions about mail or email you receive, please call or email us at 1-800-339-4929 or dnrletter@verio-hosting.net.

Thank you for your continued support and patience.

NTT/VERIO
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

3. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread