Hi all!

I have a (probably very basic) question about redirecting a domain. I have never had business with domains yet, so try please explain me this like you would to a 5 years old child ... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Here's the story:
    - I register a domain
    - How do I setup the domain so, that when you type it in the browser it takes you to a web server (for the sake of easier explanation let's say www.geocities.com/username/)? I heard something about host name and IP numbers, but got very confused.

How do I find the right IP address and host name for my username, or is it the same for all sites on geocities?

Thanks in advance!

If you want to redirect the name to another site, you need an outfit like mydomain.com who will forward the URL to an address you specify.

Alternatively, your registrar may be able to do it for you, depending on who you registered with. One of my registrars (namescout.com) does this, the other (totalregistrations.com) doesn't yet.

However, the optimum way of doing this is to pay a company to host your site. You then point your domain to use the host's nameservers and you're in business.

e.g., I register bagofcack.com and want to make it a web site, so I contact my hosting company (who happen to be uksolutions.co.uk) by phone (they're a small outfit) and tell them what I want to do, that I have *already* registered the name and that I will point it to their nameservers myself (**). They supply you with details of where to upload to, and hey presto, in a couple of days when the DNS change has gone round the world your website will be online!

(** Never transfer control of your domain to your hosting company, always keep it at your registrar. That way if you fall out with your hosting company you can just point the nameservers elsewhere.)

Shop around for a host though, they can be expensive and/or unreliable if you get the wrong one.

Uh... not to sound dumb but I don't get it.

"You then point your domain to use the host's nameservers" Wnat does this mean and how do you do it? :confused:

Mostly the registrar give you the option of changing the DNS (Domain Name Server).
    Depending on the Registrar, it can be as easy as click this and fill in that....or you have to download a text form and send it out (after filling out the DNS).

Your web hosting should have a DNS (e.q. a.server1.com or a.server2.com, etc....) server.

Most of the time, you should provide 2 DNS (primary or secondary). You can add a second one if your web host has it.....

It's normally just something you change in the domain settings screen at the registrar's site - the software the registrars give you varies a lot.

NSI (good old network solutions) interface sucks in my opinion, but Namescout's and Totalregistrations is pretty good.

All the nameservers do is translate the www.whatever.com name to an IP address. You need to change the domain settings to point to the nameservers that handle the request.

Umm it's something you only need to do when changing hosting companies - it's easy!

First you need to find out if your registration service provider offers some sort of redirection service.. If they don't,
    then you need to transfer your domain to a company that offers domain forwarding services.
    I have a geocities site, and I used domaindirect.com for their forwarding services (I just found them very easy to use - and if you are anything like me [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] their support team was able to walk me through the redirection services.
    Just a thought!

Hi Vasso [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Actually, after mentioning Namescout, I checked their prices. Man they are *expensive* - I just use them as a Snapnames registrar.

BUT if you're serious about your site you need to get it hosted properly under it's own domain name.

ABW Ambassador
    to c4
    I'm guessing that what you want to do is get your own domain name but use a free host.
    Most free hosts are going to assign a cheesy domain name (your example is perfect) but not an ip address. Never mind the IP address issue. Just be sure to use a name registrar that offers name forwarding service.
    I recommend domainsnext.com. They offer the forwarding service you need, and their price is OK $11.95/yr. You will also have complete control over nameserver info etc. if you do wind up needing that after all. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] null

Hi,

I already got my domain working on http://www.mydomain.com

Thanks anyway!

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread