Lately, when we do a search for available domains, say at godaddy or networksolutions, it gives us a list of the name with the various extentions (.com, .net, etc.) but says, "Some of the addresses below may not be selectable for purchase." If they aren't purchasable, why are they coming up? How do you know if they are available or not? It used to be that it would say, yes, the name is available or no, it's not. What am I missing?

Hershey,

The sites are available at that very moment if you go directly to an authorized site such as NeworkSolutions and you receive the message "congratulations, the domain name XXXXXXX.com is available. However, if you go to a site like nameboy.com, the data base is usually twelve to 48 hours old.

ABW Ambassador
    more than likely, that msg is in regards to .tv names. .tv has reserved a lot of common words and phrases to be sold by them only. .tv, will show it as "available"... but maybe not, because it's not at their normal price.

If you see that, just goto register.tv and you'll see their price for the domain if it's on their "reserved" list.

Also a domain could be marked as "available" but may have been registered very recently at another Registrar, since the updates take a while as Seaslug says.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >Lately, when we do a search for available domains, say at godaddy or networksolutions

Please don't tell me you "trust" Verisign enough to register domains through their screwed-up registrar?

No, I never register through Verio. I have used them to check availability because at one time they seemed to be more current. Now I just stick with godaddy.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread