We have two sites at these hosting companies http://www.your-site.com and http://www.one2host.com.

Both low price but not reliable.

I haven't been able to send email from the your-site account for over a month now. I contact support almost daily and they refuse to respond.

I couldn't receive mail for over 3 weeks without notice and can finally do that, but sending out contacts still doesn't work so i have to use a personal email for that.

As of yet, still not response from them about helping me.

One2host is a pain as well. They are finally up and have worked for about a week now, but they completely took my site down for a week without saying anything because they had to do it to put up their new programs and looks. I repeat... no notice of this.

Along with the site, the emails were down as we and the emails stayed down for another week.

Alos, i should have front page extensions installed so i can post my forms with one2host, well it isn't and they don't know why it won't work. Shouldn't they know why?

So i can't use my extensions at all and I had to pre-pay for a year with this hosting company for their cruddy services.

I only keep the your-site even though I still can't send mail because they have a newsletter program so i don't have to keep them in my personal email which is good in case i get one of those viruses that sends to my members of my list.

Just thought you might like to know about these if you decided to use them. Take caution.

ABW Ambassador
    amberjose,
    First, Welcome to ABW. Secondly, sorry to hear about your hosting troubles. If there is something I can do to help you out with your situation, just let me know.
    I don't know much about either host, but I know we have gotten several clients that have moved to us from your-site. If you are interested in another hosting solution, I'm sure we would have something in your budget. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

BTW, All ABW members get a 50% discount off of our hosting prices. You can take a look at: http://abw.thmedia.net
    Let me know if you have any questions.

I use these hosts:
    THMedia - good, reliable host, deals for ABW members
    iPowerweb - cheap but you get what you pay for, can't recommend them - downtime and poor support.
    HostRocket - problems with initial setup, tech help not very helpful, but no problems since then, lots of cheap bandwith. Wouldn't recommend them because of the tech support...
    Apollo Hosting - good host, never had a problem with them, but not cheap.
    i1internet - used this host for years and they are excellent and very cheap but they only host small sites, limit is 5gig a month and it's very expensive if you go over.
    Hostpod - reliable host, also caters for the *cough* adult market

ABW Ambassador
    Chinaski,
    Great info. Please note the price vs quality. It more or less backs up my earlier statements about what some hosts will do. Some hosts are a few dollars more, but it makes a world of difference in quality, uptime, support, etc. I'm often asked (or told)'Host XYZ can give me 500 megs of space for $3.95)'. I explain it to them..but if they are persistant, I can tell them to go try the other host out for a few months, if they have problems, they can come to us. Surprisingly enough, many of them do. I hate sending customers away, but if they want to pay that price, they will pay for it in other ways.

I used a host before that I paid $25 a month too that went out of business. They also caused me more trouble than these do, if you can imagine that.

We are just now starting to make money on our sites which is why we had to go to the lowest price hosting programs. We don't have cash backup and pre-paying for a year can cost so much for us, yet monthly we would be just fine.

We are looking into all of those listed here. Thank you so much for your referal information. We still can't use our email with your-site.com and the front pages won't work on our other site either.

Your-site.com was wonderful up until about two months ago. From what we understand, the owner had passed away which we are sorry to hear. They have hired a new crew, but for some reason, that crew has decided not to return our emails and fix our troubles.

Thanks again.

ABW Ambassador
    It's a bit of minefield, hosting, isn't it ? I've been through maybe 15 in the last couple of years and have about three that I am happy with. All I ask for is 100% uptime, ridiculously fast download times, huge amounts of bandwidth at less than the price of a stamp. Not much to ask, is it ?

ABW Ambassador
    When I first started online, my first host was terrible. It was Icom.com and they were bugged with consistent downtime (often 72 hours at a time). They were very cheap (about $9.00/month I think). I do not know what they are like now though.

Hosts I use at the moment and are very satisfied with (neither are what I would place into the cheap bracket). I decided that the additional cost for improved service & uptime was well worth it:
    Suberb.net
    Interland

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>All I ask for is 100% uptime, ridiculously fast download times, huge amounts of bandwidth at less than the price of a stamp. Not much to ask, is it ?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    You forgot 24 hour telephone support and $500 worth of free software...

Pete,
    I hear a lot of good things about interland. It was very smart to move from that old host...sometimes downtime does happen, but 72 hours is unreal...also frequent downtime, even if short in duration, is pretty bad too.

I've been with 5dollarhosting.com for a couple of years and have never had a problem. I have several sites there and also several sites as a reseller.

I used to be with a couple of big name sites, but they kept raising their prices every year. $5 hosting keeps adding services, but they are still just $5 a month.

I even have a couple of sites hosted at DirectNIC.com for just $15.00 a year. One of those sites made $1000 last year. I think it was a good investment.

I highly recommend them both.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You forgot 24 hour telephone support and $500 worth of free software...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Silly me, you're right; but I would expect $500 of free software plus full e-commerce facilities and a merchant gateway, of course. And not forgetting free installation and troubleshooting for all my CGI scripts....

Seriously though, this is a serious problem with the web hosting sector. People expect too much for too little and the proliferation of know-nothing resellers who oversell bandwidth and charge below what any serious host could afford to just makes it worse.

My own favoured host - for US specific clients - I think are too cheap, but they are top priced compared with some of the $1 for a year's hosting with unlimited bandwidth stuff you can find.

I'm loathe to recommend the guys I use because they are excellent in all departments (support, uptime, the whole bit) and I'm sure that if they get too big, this will all suffer. But if you typed www.infodoma.com into your address bar, you may just find them [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    You are right on the money....There is a saying I've seen around (I'd love to use it as a sig):

Newbie + Dedicated Server = Webhost

For the record, I use pair Networks, have used them for years, and you could not make me switch away from them! They are just amazing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>For the record, I use pair Networks, have used them for years, and you could not make me switch away from them! They are just amazing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't access that site, is that the right URL?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chinaski:

I can't access that site, is that the right URL?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it is, pair.com, I have just double-checked it and got in instantly.

OK, got in now.. thanks

You're welcome. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread