Would there be much difference with the search engines in using a .org instead of a .com for a website URL?

ABW Ambassador
    Gordon,
    We host many .org sites, and they all seem to do quite well in SE's. Many actually do better than the .coms we host. It could/should be the way they do their sites, plus the free advertising they get outside of SE's. I don't see it harming you. Once client hosts a .org and a .com, and she commented to me how much more traffic the .org gets...she says she used the same methods on submissions, meta-tags, etc.

Thanks Tom you have solved my dilema [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Regarding the PM I sent you earlier, this page Cusimano Scripts shows all the scripts that David does and gives a little explanation as well. If you sign-up for the appropriate affilliate programs under him some of the scripts are cheaper.

ABW Ambassador
    Gordon,
    Thanks for the link...its one of those situations I remember hearing about it and seeing it, then when I wanted to look at it, couldn't remember the url...sheesh...We'll see. Like I said, the one site I'm trying to not spend too much time/money on. It is database driven and is already getting decent traffic. Webmistress suggested the amazon script for the book section I want to add to my resources. That one I'm considering [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

apparently(so iv'e heard) alot of search engines rank .org's with more relevance than .com's because .org's are primarly meant to be used for non-profit organisation's, But of course anyone can register .org's so they might have put alot less % relevance on how they are ranking .org's now..

Anyway i just launched a .org! Hopefully we will see how google inparticular ranks it when it gets crawled and indexed, It's going up against a fairly competitive field.

[img]tongue.gif[/img]

Don't overlook .info and .biz TLDs either, they're not as popular as .com but worth considering.

I read somewhere that the new outfit overseeing the .org domains may be insisting on proper nonprofit status for new domains in future.

ABW Ambassador
    Gordon,
    I forgot to add one thing. If you go with a .org, and it is a non-profit site, be sure to take advantage of the advertising out there. For example, radio station are required to keep a public file, and we are required by the FCC to give a certain amount of time to non-profit groups and the local community. A lot of this is the form of PSA's. You will hear them all the time on all radio stations. Sometimes they are in the form of a commercial (I'm sure you've heard the spots that end in something like 'brought to you by the Ad Council and this station'). Often times, they are in a live read by the jock. This is a great resource for sites that are non-profit. I don't know what your intentions are with the .org, so this info may not pertain to you.

One last thing, this is why if you ever turn on your local rock station (or any station) early on a Sunday morning, you will often hear a talk show instead of music...it's that stations way of keeping things on par to go into their public file.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread