Hello, all! I've been lurking way too long and learning a lot from y'all.

Here's my question: I've had an offer (from a complete stranger by e-mail!) to buy a domain name that I own. Just the name - I never got around to doing anything with it- procrastinator that I am. :rolleyes: It's registered at RegisterFly. Should I ask for a cashier's check or money order? (PayPal makes me nervous.) And then how do I go about switching the name over to him once I've received payment? How are these things usually done? Any advice would be much appreciated.

I'm trying not to get TOO excited until it actually goes through. My husband rolls his eyes and smirks every time he sees me "playing on the computer" and says he would eat his hat (if he had one) if this actually happens.

--Melissa

Hello, The best thing to do is use escrow.com to handle the transaction.

We just purchased a domain from someone and the transaction went smooth and we both felt "safe" using the escrow service to handle the transfer.

Hi Melissa,

I've used Paypal on many of my domain sales and haven't had any problem at all with them. If the sale is over $750 then escrow.com would be a good idea and make the buyer pay the escrow fees if they want to use escrow. Cashiers check/money order is great and even a check but tell them you have to wait for the check to clear before you can transfer the name to them. Give the buyer the different options to choose from.

I found the transfer process at RegisterFly.com and it looks simple
    --------------------------------------
    "If I register a domain name at registerfly.com and later sell that domain name, what happens? What’s the process to transfer ownership and is there a charge for this service?
    If you are to sell a domain name the entire process to transfer ownership is very simple and free. There are two ways that you can move a domain name between accounts.

You can either create a new account for the person that you sold the domain name to and then log into that account and click on “combine your accounts”, under the tab "manage domains", to move a domain name INTO this account. All you have to do is enter in the account username and password for the account that the domain names are now in. The username and password is not saved in this account in any way. Now you can select what domain names to move into this account. Once the domain name/s are in this account you can either change the whois information yourself (see “whois updates” ) or have your client change this information their self. By doing that this person is now the owner of this domain name.

If you don’t create a registerfly.com account for your client or they already have one (they do need an account) you can open a support ticket and let us know which domain name to move into another account. You will need to tell us the account name and or owners name. The new owner MUST have an account for us to do this for you. There isn’t a fee for this service, ever!

If your client doesn’t want a registerfly.com account but does want a domain name that is already in a registerfly.com account the process to transfer a domain name becomes more difficult and the company that you’re transferring the domain name to will charge you/the buyer a fee. We never charge for anyone to leave registerfly.com but another registrar will charge you money to transfer the domain name from us to them and this process can be complicated and difficult (due to the other registrar's involvement). We strongly recommend that you have the buyer stay with registerfly.com as they can get the name very fast and this will insure that you don't lose a sale."
    -----------------------------------

Good Luck!

Larry Wentz
    www.AffiliateNetwork.org

[ 06-18-2002: Message edited by: wentzco ]

Hmm... double post

[ 06-18-2002: Message edited by: wentzco ]

I've used AfterNIC.com's escrow service before, but it sure takes a while to get paid sometimes. But, they have always paid me. Problem is that the buyer has to inform the escrow company that they received the domain. It once took me a month to get the buyer to confirm they received it. That's scarey.

Thank you all so much for some very helpful advice! I had never heard of Escrow.com - that'll come in handy for eBay stuff as well!

Larry, thanks for digging up that RegisterFly info; I must've been looking in the wrong place. :rolleyes: Anyway, I know what to do now and am very appreciative.

-Melissa

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    ummmm.....you wouldn't want to share the name you are thinking of selling, wouldja? Maybe someone around here would be interested in bidding on it....

Wow.. escrow.com is certain cheaper than a private transaction with GreatDomains.com.

They've got a sort of affilate program too but I'm not sure how that works.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If the sale is over $750 then escrow.com would be a good idea <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Larry why do you advice so ?
    I've used the service above that price & it worked well.
    But was just wondering why the figure '750' ; ) ???

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread