i would like to hear from any business people about their opinion of the value or lack thereof of a first-class internet address, domain name, in the overall ecommerce scheme of initiating and growing a commercial website. for example, would you rather have an excellent domain and a mediocre concept/site or visa versa? what, if anything, have you found to be the importance of a url that's short, relevant, and mnemonic? any thoughts? thanks, i'll take my answers off the air.

Depends whether you want to go for branding the name - when short and easy to say is best, or for keyworded domains.

Keyworded domains are what I use and my site is unusual for its complete lack of any traditional branding. It is recognizeable - you'd know it again if you went there before, but minimal and anonymous.

You might like to get both kinds of domain and point both names at your one site.

Whichever strategy you go for its largely a matter of personal style.

As for 'growing a commercial site' I'd suggest starting off with a good color scheme and layout then do just that, one page at a time.

>would you rather have an excellent domain and a mediocre concept/site or visa versa?

Thing is, ideas on excellence tend to evolve, and its easier to upgrade a site - so I'd say the domain is more important in the first instance.

I

3. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread