ABW Ambassador
    I'm not saying this is 100% true but let me tell you what happened:

I checked on a domain name I wanted and it showed to be available. Two days later I went through the process of purchasing the domain and a separate hosting account where I'm at now.

All of a sudden, the domain name shows up taken, and also states it was reserved in 2001. Plus the new account was CREATED using the new domain name I wanted~!

Being the skeptic I usually am, I immediately jumped outta my chair yelling WTF~! and head out to address this with my host who now held my years' fees for the "potentially" swiped domain.

I still wonder IF there are spies in this domain name game that are so close [owners maybe] to be able to snatch a domain out from under anyone. :eek: I mean, this is possible.

I may have lost that inning of the game but I don't want to lose another so I not only want to purchase the domain immediately if it shows available, but I'd like to know if any of you know of a VERY reputable source for me to conduct my domain business?

I've had much success with deleteddomains.com for finding deleted domains and directNIC.com for registering domains (only $15.00).

Early bird gets the worm. I've lost a few good domain names because I did not get them as soon as saw them.

ABW Ambassador
    This happened to me a few weeks back at godaddy. Found a *really* good domain that was said to be available.
    Went through the registration/payment process without a problem.
    Next day an email come stating "duplicate entry" or something like that.

It appears that the domain database was unavailable to godaddy, so they just said the domain was available.

Anyway, they automatically refunded my money without me even having to ask for it.

As for the hosting fees you've payed out, explain the situation to the host & hope for a refund, or find another domain & keep the account.

ABW Ambassador
    Here's one possible solution but how can you really trust anyone? I'm goingto go with this until they prove otherwise.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> http://www.betterwhois.com

But there is a problem, the standard WHOIS domain search used on thousands of web sites is no longer accurate. Why? Because each domain registrar now keeps their own WHOIS database which doesn't include domains registered by competing registrars.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll have two windows open: one for BetterWhois and one where I'll be hosting/registering. As soon as I see the domain is not taken, I'll buy it and host it at the same time. There'll be no way anyone can capture the info faster than that unless the theif is the place where I'm checking, in this case, it might be BetterWhois IF the new name shows up snagged after I pay for registration/hosting.

But BetterWhois has been around quite a while, and I don't think I'll have any problems as long as I use a system like this that checks all domain databases.

[ 08-04-2002: Message edited by: Cyclone ]

[ 08-04-2002: Message edited by: Cyclone ]

Something similar happned to me at GoDaddy. I thought up a domain name for a friend as a joke and looked to see if it was available. It was. Now, no-one in their right mind would seriously want this domain.

Two days later I decided to buy it. And guess what.

I

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Two days later I decided to buy it. And guess what.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I mean. The name I chose was fairly unique too. PLUS, when I checked the documentation of the person who owns it, I think the date was early 2001~!

Even IF this person is not a theif, they are definitely sitting on a post waiting to stiff someone [me] because they have done nothing with it in almost 2 years~!

Can you tell me who owns it now? And I'll search and see who owns mine.

I

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread