Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    What's with Ski and Snowboard House ?? Asking url address and then they publish it on their emails ?

BTW, the publisher website they put in their email was nothing but an SEO spammer. BIG TIME.

============================

The Ski and Snowboard House is happy to have acquired so many affiliates, and we would like to thank you all again for joining our program. We are enjoying our relationship with all of you thus far, and great earnings are expected for all of us in the next year. Ski and Snowboard House has only one thing to ask from you:

Publishers expecting to earn these great commissions we offer must provide us with an URL on their site where our link is located. We are able to physically see where orders within our site come from, and are also able to verify publishers when their URL's match up with our orders. Since the inception of our program we've had one publisher, [name deleted] of www.[url deleted].com, e-mail us with info regarding our link. Thank you [deleted], you have been cleared to receive commissions.

It is just good business sense to verify where your money is going, and not just give it away blindly. We appreciate your responses in advance.

Regards,

AJ Smith
    Ski and Snowboard House

===============================

according to that, only one publisher is going to be paid.

_____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

ABW Ambassador
    Only one publisher verified their url? Does that mean they aren't going to pay the others?

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    Contact them via email. They are a good shop with a new Marketing person. Share your concerns with them. I'd hate to see folks reading this thread getting turned off. I've been promoting a few of their stores for years (indie) and they (Summit Sports) have always been very upfront and good with responding to concerns.

I tried to contact this merchant via JC mail and realized they did not have one. So, I contacted CJ AAQ and was told that merchants have the ability to shut off CJ mail.

Well, this is one company I don't have a desire to use on my sites. Too many requirements and too many hurdles to try to contact them.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

I used my CJ mail interface to send them an email and received a response the same day. I did not know they were joining CJ and had not met the new guy til that first email. Had a few emails since too. I think this is a case of a CJ newbie that has to learn the ropes.

Learning the ropes is one thing. Being an idiot is another. Where do they come up with these brainless wonders?

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

ABW Ambassador
    Some Affiliate Managers seem to be against the affiliate sales, specially when they grow too much, and commissions paid looks like a big spending cost to the company.

If you sell more "something" than the store itself, then you cannot be good, because the company would have done that if that was good.

It is impossible that an affiliate can sell better than the store itself with legal marketing, so if you have much success you are obvoiusly doing someting obscure that must be corrected and controlled.

Fer

Ski and Snowboard House appreciates all publisher responses regarding this matter. We must make it clear that we really only need the domain you've posted our links on so we can track our sales accuratly, and to assure our advertising expenses fall within a set budget. It's good business practice to track expenses, right? Furthermore, your URL's will not be shared nor your privacy violated. We respect any publisher who understands this matter and complies with good business practices. The internet is a wild beast, and though some companies like CJ think they can tame it, the fact remains that everyone here is trying to turn a profit. Verifying our links with publishers is a great way to make sure we know who we share that profit with. Any publisher who has a sale transaction with us already will be cleared as soon as we get the URL of our link. REMEMBER: This is one time only. We appreciate your understanding in this matter and respect your privacy. The URL will be used only for marketing research and expense records. Again, we appreciate all understanding regarding this, and want to thank all of the publishers willing to help us help them.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    and to assure our advertising expenses fall within a set budget.

Um... this is pay per sale right? I mean, how can you have a set amount of money when you're meant to pay for all the sales affiliates bring? Sorry, but it sounds like you're looking for a way to cheat affiliates out of valid sales to me.

I never got my T-Shirt

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Seems like this merchant, who has a fine site for all ski and snowboard enthusiasts, wants commissionable affiliates to ADD-VALUE by domain showcases highlighting some hot buys. Must be some affiliates who do not have any value-add domain displays and pre-sell text just jump to SEO/SEM to re-direct & cookie set traffic. Brand names carried by this guy are keyword rich for SEO spammers.

I see the merchant has google listings and even Adwords and Overture bids so he doesn't suffer from not being in the forefront of SE activity. Maybe he's just weeding out the pure play SEO gamers and focusing on value-add affiliates for this niche' Brick-n-mortar retailer. He sure can learn what works for other CJ AM's here as to increasing conversion ratios with creatives and landing pages.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

We are new to the lingo.
    What is a value-add affiliate?
    What is a parasite?
    A SEO Spammer?

Please expalin:
    "Must be some affiliates who do not have any value-add domain displays and pre-sell text just jump to SEO/SEM to re-direct & cookie set traffic."

We are very new to affiliate marketing and need to learn a few things, we certainly don't want to cheat anyone out of commission, we just want to do good business. Thank you EcomCity for taking a look at us.

ABW Ambassador
    I shouldn't even waste my time responding here but can't resist. The request for a single url a single time or the expectation that every affiliate will turn in a url for evey page they are promoted on (it sure sounds like thats what they want to me) is beyond lunacy.

If I apply and you accept my site that should be enough for you to pay your affiliates. Accepting them then later requesting specific urls for payment won't tame a beast or get you to know your partners any better. It will however get alot of people avoiding marketing you. If you want to limit your marketing expenses to ensure they fall within a set budget.... just keep talking and following this path - it will work.

** Have you asked for change? **

Hello SummitSportsInc and welcome to ABW

I think your introductory posting on these boards sounds like it was written by a team of lawyers. It was a bit formal. You could have started by saying "Hello".

You also could give a name and contact email - it would sure be nice to know you are a human and not a form letter.

First you say...

quote:
    Furthermore, your URL's will not be shared nor your privacy violated.

Then...

quote:
    Since the inception of our program we've had one publisher, [name deleted] of www.[url deleted].com, e-mail us with info regarding our link.

Wasn't this guys privacy violated? Or was it deleted at the time of the initial mail being sent.

I suggest you hang around here a while and learn from the masters, in the meantime I think I'll give you a pass.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The key SummitSports is your site is ready for 3rd party referral sales when it generates 1 sale per every 100 visitors. Being your a niche' merchant (only snow sport related items) it should be no problem to keep this type of conversion ratio from any traffic to your site.

The value-added role of the affiliate sales force is too pre-sell and motivate their sites' visitors to become buyers at your site with creative pre-sell spin and hot seller products. The CJ affiliate traffic should convert better then plain old SE traffic if you focus their visitors on higher converting product pages and specials. Don't waste affiliate traffic as a eyeball hit meter traffic generator. Ski & Snowboard shops make their money on peripheral/accessory sales.

PS: make you boot sizing chart make sense for the layman.... I wear a 9/1/2 wide shoe...no way can I tell what boot size to buy from your chart unless I visit a ski shop and try some on. Make it simple for eliminating returns and unhappy campers seeking to hit the slopes the day after their Ski rig arrives.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

HappyPoon,
    Is this really too much to ask? We will give you 7% of every sale you get for us as long as we know that it can be tracked. We are actually giving away more than half of our profit to our publishers. This is fine with us, as long as we can track our expenses. It's not too much work to email a URL is it? We do all of the work after the customer clicks through the affiliate's link. From customer service to shipping the product. All we ask is that we are able to track the sale. If every publisher listed the sites they post links on within their profile this really wouldn't be that big of a deal, but some publishers list themselves as www.google.com. This is not funny to us. We believe that good business is built along a very trackable paper trail. We have a ton of sales through publishers already, and any publisher joining our program will be happy with their earnings. I can assure everyone that we are a company built on integrity, and that all publishers that verify our links with them will be paid. If anyone can't understand this, then they simply don't understand good business practice.

Wow, for once I actually think Ecom has said something I agree with

Playing Devils advocate here:

Here we have a merchant admitting they are new to this game.

"We want this, we want that." I'm gonna chime in and say I'm staying away. You fail to realize you have some influence on this board (whether you realize it or not). Others read this and right away form an opinion. Might be nice to ask the merchant some questions first, maybe a PM or something, to see why they have done things they way they have so far. I'm sure we all have spoke with an AM and after a conversation we figure out they had no clue and when enlightened things change.

Maybe they did have a lawyer, who is also likely clueless about aff. marketing write them something up. Can you blame them in our "lets sue evryone society." We were all "newbies" at one time. Lets stop this "holier than thou" attitude, please

Hi, SummitSports...

I PM'd you. I'd love to talk with you about your program. You may do better to manually approve affiliates and simply choose not to approve affiliates with google.com as their domain name. It may be easier for you to achieve your goals, and less headache for the affiliates.

There may be alternative ways to get the information you're looking for. Since you're new to the CJ system, perhaps we can show you where some of that information can be obtained without having to ask affiliates for it.

Good luck!

-patrice

patrice.colancecco.milligan
    affiliate.manager | eastwoodcompany.com
    e: patrice@eastwoodco.com | v: 610.323.2200x2206 | aim: patricemilligan
    ::visit.our.private.forum.at.abw::

"...but some publishers list themselves as www.google.com. "

This is an affiliate that you DO NOT approve from the beginning, and I think a bad example to show ABW members.

Publishing Affiliate URL's is not cool at all, anywhere.

Asking for specific URL's is not done by 99% of merchants. Asking for a main website URL is perfectly reasonable though.

Telling your affiliates, that you have to keep expenses in line, is not cool either as you have seen. It says, "My management doesn't care what sales are generated, they have decided on a fixed expense for sales commissions - if it is exceeded, I get in trouble."

Just a case of look before you leap. Please look and think first.

Fred

You might just be a Redneck if - Birds are attracted to your beard...

Hi and welcome. I don't know how many of us invited you here, but I was one of them.
    Because you at least took the time to show up here I won't drop you like a hot potato.

Here is something that brings you close to the line.
    quote:
    Any publisher who has a sale transaction with us already will be cleared as soon as we get the URL of our link

So any affiliate who has in good faith generated sales and who does not agree with this (absolutely brutal) policy of reporting every single link's URL will now not receive payment? From the sound of that, you are holding their commissions hostage because you didn't do the job of an Affiliate Manager properly.
    Secondly, if link URLs are such a big problem for your company, why are you auto approving affiliates?
    Why don't you manually approve affiliates AFTER checking/verifying their sites?
    quote:
    The request for a single url a single time or the expectation that every affiliate will turn in a url for evey page they are promoted on (it sure sounds like thats what they want to me) is beyond lunacy.

What Poon said is right. I have tens of thousands of pages, and even if I agreed with this policy, I can't imagine how fun it would be filling your mailbox with hundreds of emails for each single link. Then there are those with real numbers of pages, in the millions plus.
    I suggest you take a deep breath, crack your knuckles, grab a tea or coffee, and start reading.
    You have a HUGE opportunity here to learn and make a TOP NOTCH program as opposed to tripping over your own feet out of the starting gate.

Education is Key
    Parasiteware.com

Game on!!!! - The DawgFather

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    but some publishers list themselves as www.google.com.

I don't think it was meant as a joke - that generally means they are paying to advertise you through google and that's where the sales are coming from. Hear that, they are SPENDING MONEY to advertise YOUR MERCHANDISE.

While I don't do it myself, it's how some people send affiliates sales to merchants.

I never got my T-Shirt

SummitSports:

Take Patrice up on her offer. She'll help get you on the right track.

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money!
    [What is Parasiteware? click here to learn more]

quote:
    Is this really too much to ask?

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: When I make a link I may put it on twenty or 30 different domains. Some affiliates own hundreds of domains. Do you expect us to stop and tell you every time we put your product on a new site? Nonsense. What if we had to do the same for each and every merchant we have? You do know we buy new domains all the time, right? Do you expect us to stop and advise every merchant every time we buy a new domain? And, you want to know the exact page as well? So every time we change a site we are to tell you that, too? Silly me. I just won't bother with a merchant who needs all that attention.

BTW people put up your links in good faith. PAY UP!!
    Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

Not in defense or offense, but I'd like to point out that in the Y Store system every order includes the referring URL (not always accurate) and you can take the XID of the order and look it up in CJ and vice versa. The Order ID in CJ is YOURSTORENAME-XID. Additionally CJ provides Referring URL info in the website profile. If you want more detailed tracking, you can easily get a Javascript written that will write a cookie etc.

Akiva Bergstrom
    Affiliate Partner Manager

EssentialApparel.com
    CJ/7.5% to 8.5%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@essentialapparel.com
    Phone: 973.696.6200 ext 751
    > Join now! <
    SportsFanfare.com
    CJ/10%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@sportsfanfare.com
    AIM: akivabergs
    > Join now! <
    FunToCollect.com
    CJ/11%/120 days
    Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: affiliates@funtocollect.com
    > Join now! <

Summit Sports,

I second the suggestion to take Patrice up on her offer. She knows her stuff.

Also, take heed of the suggestions here to read past posts and see how other Affilite Managers work with us. You'll learn a lot about what works and what does not. Your current approach will not work and will have quiet the opposite affect than you had hoped for your your affiliate program.

I'm not sure what information or training the folks at CJ give mechants (or if merchants read it), but they should have a section on How to Win Friends and Influence Affiliates. We've seen it all too often when a good program comes along and loses steam right from the start.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast