ABW Ambassador
    I am thinking of getting a dedicated server. I would like to ask if anyone could explain what I *need* to get and why?

Tons (or gigaflops) of RAM? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
    Fast CPU?

I am not going to host a lot of domains or data, but I do want to have control of the enviroment.

Also, should I be looking for automatic software updates i.e. firewalls anmd operating system, or is this my responsibility?

You might send a PM to THmedia, one of our ABW members. I bet he can answer all your questions.

Ron
    7 Days A Week Marketing

"Keep your hands out of my cookie jar!"

To my experience, you have full control of your dedicated server. The specs should depend on what you want to do with the server. If you will only be running apache, and not hosting many sites, processor and RAM is really not that important unless your planning on alot of server side processing

When I was shopping for dedicated servers, what I learned is that what really matters is what you want. You may end up paying a wazoo for a luxurious server that you wouldn't be using to its capacity anytime within the next two decades.

But you will have a lot of flexibility and freedom with a dedicated server on hand. PM me if you need a referral and I can get a free month..:D

Good luck.

- BluesX

---------------
    Affiliate Marketing is built upon honesty. Tracking is not affected.

ABW Ambassador
    7Days

Did that [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I also want to check from the consumer side.

Bluesx

Thanks, good info. *Full* control is what I want. I am always trying to do "stuff" that my host takes an age, or does not want to do it.

It is not an immediate issue for me. I can spend a little time to ask questions and search out what I need. It will probably be better if I take the server in Feb or March. This will take me through the high season and give me time to sort myself out and ensure that I have a regular income to pay for it.

I can get a server 1Ghz, 128MB RAM 20GB HDD. I think the processor is OK and I will never fill the HDD, but I am concerned about the memory. How much memory is enough?
    I also find the price jump for another 128MB memory is [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

My second and main concern, is the operating system and the firewall or other protection method and virus protection. I am not really clued up in this area, so I don’t what kind of level I should be looking at, or how it is used and I don’t want to be left with a vulnerable system and no one to support me, y’know the stuff “well it’s a dedicated server sir”.

The third issue is bandwidth. What can I realistically expect to get with the server and what would be the next steps?

My data is not critical and I don’t have a lot, neither do I have huge quantities of visitors and I don’t hold any personal information but it will be a real pain if someone redirects my fragile and delicate readers to some h-a-t-e or p-o-r-n site (without a referral fee) or change my homepage to "cracked by wiz waz and wizbank kids groupiepoos" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    What kind of prices are people paying for dedicated servers? I'm shy of the "reboot or reload" places like rackshack, serverbeach, etc, but their prices are very cheap. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] (I confess to having some boxes there....)

But I'd like to get another one at a "decent" place...

Whomever I asked to pointed me to this one place where they said I'd get the most bang for my buck. This was a rare instance that I took advice from others that really worked! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

My last advice for anyone who is looking for a dedicated server is first to assess the needs and then make a custom deal with the vendor via bargaining. What you really need determines what price you should pay. The price range is vast.

- BluesX

---------------

BluesX,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> But you will have a lot of flexibility and freedom with a dedicated server on hand. PM me if you need a referral and I can get a free month..:D <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can you quote the verbiage of the AUP? Do they have a AUP?

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Haiko,

I do have a copy of AUP, but it is too long to quote here in its entirity. If you meant that it is likely to NOT having a lot of freedom, I think it is still a lot of freedom as compared to virtual hosting. I can quote specific parts or e-mail you the url copy if this is what you wanted to know.

- BluesX

---------------

BluesX,

can you PM or email it? I've been looking at them for a while ... many good reviews, just never saw the AUP plainly displayed.

</font></p>

Blues,

TY!

</font></p>

Well, I'd recommend something in between 256-1024 RAM, Processor &gt; 1Gz, HDD &gt; 20 Gb, but it really all depends on your hosting needs. If you are not going to maintain another Yahoo! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] and use it for your sites, then pick something in the middle. You can always control when you run out of resources and add extra RAM. Make sure you get a machine that allows easy upgrades.

[This message was edited by ShwingHost.com on October 07, 2002 at 03:37 PM.]

Well BluesX pretty much covered the bases for you and he is right on the money with his information. You can do research now but the prices are likely to change between now and Feb. (We purchase RAM weekly and it is like buying any other commodity, ujp and down in its pricing, dependant upon demand). When you are finally ready to make a decision please let me know the system specifications that you decide on, as I would like the opportunity to throw my hat in the ring for your business.

Oh, by the ways BluesX care to comment on exactly whou your host is as you give a nice review of them with out naming them.

Good luck with your search.

MMemmer@NeuTelligent.com
    ICQ# 40467849

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread