I'm buying some domains this week but let's say I don't exactly belive the numbers owners gave me for monthly traffic they get ...

Is there a way (service) I can check traffic for domains? An approximation would do ... I did hear for alexa - how accurate are they? Any other service?

YOURsoft - worlds 1st dealware scripts!
    NEW - Join YOURsoft "affiliate program for affiliate software"!

There isn't really a good way to check.

If the current owner gave you copies of web server logs you could check (but they can be forged).

Alexa gives you some idea of popularity but Alexa bases their rankings on visits from people who have the Alexa toolbar installed so results are skewed towards tech-related and geek-interest sites, and because of the relatively small they can be spoofed if you have a group of friends with the toolbar regularly visiting your site.

Other way to get an idea of whether the domain gets traffic is to look for # of inbound links (, and if a generic term check to see how many searches that term gets (Overture term suggestion tool).

Note also that if the domain has recently featured in an ebay auction or in a spam email it will show a lot more visits in server logs and Alexa ranking than its "real" traffic.

Mark Mitford
    Sales Director
    Dotster, Inc
    15% Commission - 90 day cookie - 0% reversals

3. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread