Say if you want to take advantage of another registrar's cheaper renewal fee, you do a reigstrar transfer, right?

I recently registered my domain with namecheap.com. It is a reseller and uses enom.com as its registrar.

Namecheap charges $8.88 but enom.com has prices at $5.95 ... but if I want to switch from namecheap to enom.com, how do I do it? I can't possibly do a registrar transfer..

You can transfer to enom's $5.95 pricing but that is an option where you can't use or transfer the domain unless you pay a further $3.99 "activation" fee.

If you are happy with namecheap's control panel then I suggest you stick with them.

Here is some info from enom's help system:

What is a name only account?

eNom, an ICANN accredited registrar, announces an exciting new account called 'Name Only'. A Name Only account is different than your current eNom account. In Name Only you register a domain name and park it with eNom (on our DNS only), that's all the services you'll be able to get to. A Name Only account is perfect for purchasing defensive domain name registrations or registering your new ideas at a very low cost. All the other services eNom has to offer including domain name management, DNS, URL redirection, email forwarding, a free 10 page web site, Name-Your-Phone, and Name-Your-Computer, are not available in a Name Only account, until you activate the Domain name(s) for a $3.99 fee.

Can I have email forwarding or change my DNS host settings in a 'Name Only' account?

No. You first have to activate the name and pay the $3.99 fee associated with the activation.

Can I 'Transfer' a name into my Name only account?

Yes. It works the same as your other eNom accounts.

Can I transfer or push a Name Only domain name away from my account?

Yes. After you 'Activate' the Domain Name and pay the $3.99 activation fee (per remaining year).

What if I sell a name that is in my Name Only account?

You must activate the domain name and pay the $3.99 activation fee (per remaining year) before it can change ownership. You can activate and push the name directly to the new owner's eNom account LOGIN if you like.

Mark Mitford
    Sales Director
    Dotster, Inc
    http://www.dotster.com/
    15% Commission - 90 day cookie - 0% reversals

3. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread