Say you registered the name www.buy-coke-pepsi-sprite-here.com (or something similar)

Would that be a trademark violation? Bad form?

I'm thinking not, because you are not claiming to be the company on the URL, just to sell its products. But I'm not sure.

Would a DN like that be a good idea?

ABW Ambassador
    Taken from http://www2.coca-cola.com/termsofuse.html<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> 2. Ownership of Content
    The Site and all of its contents including, but not limited to, all text and images ("Content") are owned and copyrighted by The Coca-Cola Company or others with all rights reserved unless otherwise noted. Any Content that is a trademark, logo, or service mark is also a registered and unregistered trademark of The Coca-Cola Company or others. Your use of any Content, except as provided in these Terms of Use, without the written permission of the Content owner is strictly prohibited. You are also advised that The Coca-Cola Company will aggressively enforce its intellectual property rights to the fullest extent of the law, including the seeking of criminal prosecution.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I think your best bet would be to contact the webmaster at the above site and get him to point you in the right direction as to who you need to discuss this with.

Who knows? Maybe they will be very happy with a chance at a free plug.

In this situation my advice would be to check with the copyright owners 1st before proceeding.

Rgds, DPG

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Depends on a lot of factors.

It's bizarre really, Coke and Pepsi have no problems having their coolers sitting side-by side in a corner store, selling their products. But put their names in the same domain name (even if the website is owned by the same corner store and selling the same product) and they get their nickers bunched.

Basically, the IP lawyers have managed (on behalf of their customers) to over-extend TM rights in the doman name arena, thanks to some palm-greasing of the appropriate people.

Hopefully one day it will all get corrected, and that really facist ACPA law will be put where it belongs - in the trash bin.

ABW Ambassador
    100% you will get a C&D. If it is valid or not is another question but coke sued a site that was nothing but a fan site for Coke memorabilia.

They sent us a C&D for running ads that they paid to run on our network.

They are sue crazy.

Chet

Not sure I understand C&D in this context?

Cease and desist, probably.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Yep--Cease and Desist.

Chet--Good grief...

-Early in life, I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose honest arrogance and have seen no occasion to change. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

Has anyone seen "Dr Strangelove"?
    Peter Sellers has to make a phone call to save the world from nuclear holocaust. He goes to shoot a coke machine to get a coin for the phone, and a GI stops him.
    After Sellers convinces him that the fate of the world hangs on this phone call, the GI says:
    "OK - but you'll have to answer to the Coca-Cola Corporation of the United States of America afterwards...."

The answer is no, at least not according to ICANN rules. The reason is that you got two competing trademark names in the domain name, coke/sprite and pepsi. Some ICANN courts has issued verdicts rejecting claims based on this (on the other hand, the "ICANN court" is a joke and you never know how they might judge a case).

However, if you live in the US you might be subject to ACPA, which may or may not warrant a c&d

-- Less is more --

Thank you all for your replies

Oh, it was just an idea I had. Looks like not a good idea, though.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread