View Poll Results: Optimal .net name vs. less than optimal .com?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • optimal .net

3 42.86%
  • less than optimal .com

4 57.14%
    As is the case with so many domains these days, the .com of the name I'm going for is taken (though there is no site there). The .net is available, however. There is a reasonable variant of my desired name that's available as a .com, but it sort of relies on a joke that everyone may not be privy to, which might take its toll on potential branding. Still, having a .net can affect branding since many people, if they're not just following a link, may type in .com or tell people .com if they recommend the site to someone, etc. I've made attempts to contact the owner of the .com about selling it, and so far I'm not getting a response.

I'm trying to imagine how people would get to my site, and I think most people would get there the first time by following a link, but if they type in the domain on subsequent visits, there's a possibility they'd get either the name (for the .com choice) or the extension (for the .net) wrong. Obviously I'd like to avoid that. I could do the hyphenated .com, but I'd really prefer not to. So I guess I'm wondering what the "least bad" option is.

Comments and suggestions are very much appreciated!

Hi Dolemite,

My vote is for neither and have a look for a .biz or .us domain. To be brutally honest, if you're not an ISP or hosting company, then using a .net just tells the world that you couldn't get the .com you wanted.

________
    All your commission are belong to us.

I'll have to disagree with Dynamoo on this one. I don't think people think less of a business if they are using a .net or .org. . People are no longer that ignorant realizing that .net and .org are legit extentions. In fact, I believe .org actually brings a level of trust with people. I do very well with .org sites. The .net is also a great extension IMO and I have numerous .net names as well.

Larry Wentz
    www.AffiliateNetwork.org
    www.MultipleDomainHosting.net

I tend to agree that .net is perfectly legit and becoming more common. I would certainly opt for it over a .biz or .us since I just don't think the non-domain-buying public is terribly familiar with them.

Just an update to my situation, I have finally heard from the owner of the domain and he's willing to sell for a "reasonable" price. Now if his idea of reasonable is within reason of mine, we may be able to meet somewhere in the middle. He registered it about 11 months ago (I could have possibly waited for it to expire, I know) and stopped hosting it at some point so I think his ambition for the site may have faded. Hopefully that will bring down his expectations on what he'd get for the name, as well.

Does $100-200 sound reasonable for a 2-word .com?

Yes, that sounds a reasonable price, especially if it's undeveloped.

The thing about .net and .org is that they are not actually intended for commercial sites. .org is being reorganised so new registrations will be nonprofits only. .net is intended for use in Internet infrastructure.

To be honest, outside the US, the national domain names (e.g. .co.uk, .de, .fr) are very prestigious, and really it's only because .us is a new suffix in its current form that people are unfamiliar with it.

My gut feeling is that the preferred order of TLDs is:
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>.com
    <LI>Country TLDs, .us, .co.uk, .de, .fr, .co.jp, com.au, .ca etc
    <LI>The "new" general TLDs, .biz (for commerce), .info (for content). Also .org (for nonprofit making bodies only, else it's lame)
    <LI>.net, .tv (unless you're actually Internet infrastructure or a TV-related outfit.)
    <LI>.ws, .cc, .tk, .bz and all the other cheap names.[/list]

But any way you look at it, .com is always on top. So if it's a good name and less than $200 then go for it. Frankly I'd start at $100.

________

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>My vote is for neither and have a look for a .biz or .us domain. To be brutally honest, if you're not an ISP or hosting company, then using a .net just tells the world that you couldn't get the .com you wanted.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    And a .us or .biz tells the world you could not only get the .com, but you couldn't get the .net either.... Especially .biz which reaks of spamminess...

.net is perfectly legitimate in fact there is even some backlash against .com (dotcom)... of course I'd always pick the .com since most users are ignorant. If you got with the .net, go the extra mile to brand the site as "whatever DOT NET"

I think $100-200 is more than reasonable if you really want the name. (and he is willing to let it go at that price)

----
    -J
    Merchants: Do you realize that some of your affiliates are being paid commission on sales which you have paid for via PPC, offline advertising, and your targeted mailings?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dynamoo:

The thing about .net and .org is that they are not actually intended for commercial sites. .org is being reorganised so new registrations will be nonprofits only. .net is intended for use in Internet infrastructure.

_<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The .org registration will continue to be an open and unrestricted domain and requiring registrants to be nonprofits only will "not" be done. ( http://www.pir.org/faqs.html )

Larry Wentz
    www.AffiliateNetwork.org
    www.MultipleDomainHosting.net

I offered the guy $100...we'll see what happens from there.

Does anyone know how to go about transferring ownership of a domain? Is it as simple as updating the WHOIS info with the registrar, changing passwords, etc.?

There should be a function in your registrar's Control Panel to initiate a transfer. Who do you use for your domain names?

________

I've used registerfly.com in the past...it looks like this guy uses godaddy.

So I should transfer the domain to a different registrar, and then the current owner will approve that somehow from his end?

OK, I finally heard from this guy again, and it sounds like he either wants a lot of money for the name or wants to go into a "partnership" with me. I think he is actually interested in a fair and even partnership as far as work on the site and proceeds from it, but I'm still not too keen on the idea.

At this point, I'd say I have a few options:

A. Register the .net and just go for it. IMO, at that point it would be a mistake for him to then develop a site at the .com. I could potentially even trademark the name if I thought it was worthwhile. I hate to be forceful like that, but if necessary...

B. Offer him more money for the .com.

C. Figure out a different domain altogether.

In any case I'm going to hear the guy out on the partnership thing, but at first glance I just don't especially like the idea. I'm a little frustrated by the whole situation since he seemed so willing to sell at first, I went ahead and came up with a logo and part of a site design. Of course I can reuse most of that nomatter what I do.

Can anyone who collects stats for their site tell me what percentage of unique visitors are being referred from somewhere else vs. how many are typing the URL/using a bookmark? I realize the bookmark folks don't need to worry about the .com/.net thing but I believe that's the only way to group those stats.

Weeeelll... it depends really what you're going to do with the site.

If it's a simple cut-and-paste affiliate site where you're looking for good SE results then go for a keyword optimised domain name. If you're looking for brandability and a site you're going to develop and be building on in the future, you'll want a snappy .com

I hate to repeat old arguments, but I'd seriously look at .us instead of .net if you can. I think .us is likely to continue to develop into a premium TLD.

In any case, I'd make it clear to the domain owner that you're looking at an outright purchase for a reasonable cost and that if he's unable to offer that then you'll go somewhere else.

________

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dynamoo:

If it's a simple cut-and-paste affiliate site where you're looking for good SE results then go for a keyword optimised domain name. If you're looking for brandability and a site you're going to develop and be building on in the future, you'll want a snappy .com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was planning for this to be a site of the latter type. The whole situation is just a little dumb...the guy could walk away with $100 from a site that'll never make him $1.

So it goes.

Note to self: do not become attached to domains you do not already own.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread