I just discovered Reseller Hosting while
    browsing this forum and it looks like a
    great option for hosting multiple sites.

I am considering http://www.fastwayhost.com
    and would appreciate any feedback from
    current users.

Also are there any other pitfalls involved in
    this type of account?

Should each site have it's own dedicated ip address?

Thanks

I haven't heard anything about fastwayhost. But I do got a couple of pointers about reseller hosting:

First, there are two types of reseller accounts:
    1. You pay a fixed amount for X webspace and X bandwidth. You are allowed to create multiple domains (user accounts) on your reseller account.
    2. You pay a fixed amount for X webspace and X bandwidth, AND for each domain (user account) you create you must a) choose a predefined hosting package for that account, and b) you pay half the price of that hosting package (that is half of what the webhosting company would charge a standard customer for that package). Example: Say you pay $40 for the reseller account, and the webhost is selling mini accounts for $6 monthly, then you pay $40 + (number of accounts x $3) per month.

Most resellers do not provide information about whether they use method 1 or method 2. hostingmatters.com for instance uses method 2, but I had to email sales to get that info.

Second, you wont get a dedicated IP for each account you create. Most resellers provide you with 2 IPs, - one IP for each of your own two name servers. You may purchase additional IPs ($2-$10 per IP per month), and usually you also have to have a good reason, something which has nothing to do with the web hosting companies, but with some global rules due to the limited amount of IP addresses available.

As far as Google is concerned, you should put your important sites on separate IP C-classes before you link from your important sites to your mini sites. So you should place your important sites on stand alone accounts with different web hosts, and your mini sites on the reseller account.

Yes, reseller accounts is an excellent option for hosting multiple domains. But remember, find a good one, no, find a great reseller. Many reseller account servers are cheap computers cramped with clients. Hosting all your domains on such a server may give you an unpleasant surprise one day. TH Media here at ABW is offering reseller accounts for $75 a month, a bit high IMO, but you do get quality and support. Another reseller hosting provider you cannot go wrong with is httpme.com.

-- Less is more --

[This message was edited by Cellophane on December 25, 2002 at 07:05 AM.]

you can research these companies and more at browsehosts.com, find out what is the best hosting deal.

http://www.browsehosts.com/affiliate.html
    http://www.surfexplode.com

Cellophane,
    Great post and great info. I just wanted to clarify a few things. The Bulk packages you refer to with TH Media are more of a bulk program vs a reseller program. In working with members of ABW, we found that many webmasters here have dozens of sites that may consist of a few pages. Some even have domains that number in the hundreds. Our bulk packages were created for that reason, and not as a reseller program.

As for the TH Media reseller program, they are seperate packages that are sold. You can resell a package at a disounted price. Our program is growing and we will be adding even more discounts depending on the number of packages that are sold. The reason we don't mention the reseller program a lot is there is still some ways to go in its implementation. For instance, we will offer unbranded support sites for our resellers that are accessed via an IP address. This same information will also be available for download so the webmaster can put that info on their own website. Manuals and resources is a lot of information to put together and that is what we are doing now.

I hope this clarifies a few things.

Michele,
    thanks for pointing that out [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

-- Less is more --

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Top notch hosting ... olm.net

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

I personally love tilted.com they are an awesome company and the best response time.

John Solamito
    Affiliate Program Manager
    www.datecam.com
    www.datedollars.com - Affiliate program for Datecam
    johns@datecam.com
    C 206-920-5646

I am interested in these "bulk programs" that TH Media & httpme.com offer. But I have a couple of questions that I would like before I talk to the vendors:

Are there risks to your search engine placement by hosting your sites on these bulk packages? If so why? Would paying the additional cost for dedicated IP's help?

Will the domain that you add to the site be seen at site2.com or site2.yourdomain.com?

Will you have separate logs for each domain?

Thanks

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread