ABW Ambassador
    If I want to create 10 sites (for example) all having different themes. Clothing and then posters and 8 other different types of products and services, or whatever.
    Would domain parking be applicable? Could you have the 10 different domains pointing to one account?
    I intend to have at least 10 different web sites. However, it would be nice to only have 1 hosting account. Would having 10 seperate hosting accounts, 1 for each domain, be a better option as far as search engines are concerned?
    I want to have a seperate domain for each of the datafeeds that are available from merchants (making them unique of course). This could result in several thousand pages per domain.
    Is it feasable to have them all in the same account? Or is it better and thus more productive to have them in seperate accounts? Would they all benefit from link popularity?

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

ABW Ambassador
    You can definitely have them all under one account. However, you aren't looking at domain parking--you're looking at addon domains. Ask your webhost if they support them.

Michael

You can also point a domain to a directory on a single hosting account, but you run the risk of Google linking the sites together. My advise is to have seperate accounts. You can buy hosting accounts very cheaply these days - if you want Google to index the sites, you're probably better off not taking a chance. There is also a lot to be said for putting sites on different servers, that way you can cross-link the sites without it triggering any alerts because they're all on the same IP address. Then there's also the advantage that if you have any downtime (even the best hosts go down occasionally), you will always have most of your sites available.

I personally use an affordable hosting reseller account (unlimited domains).

I "resell" to myself

But yes, buying seperate IPs is safer.

Simple:

Ask about TH Media's Plan 7. You can point unlimited amounts of domains on one hosting account and each domain is a subdir in your file structure. Very simple, affordable and THMedia rocks!

Akiva Bergstrom
    Affiliate Partner Manager
    <TABLE BORDER=0 cellspacing=2 width=500><TR><TD> <FONT SIZE=1>EssentialApparel.com
    CJ/6%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@essentialapparel.com
    Phone: 973.696.6200 ext 751
    > Join now! < </TD><TD><FONT SIZE=1>SportsFanfare.com
    CJ/10%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@sportsfanfare.com
    AIM: akivabergs
    > Join now! < </TD></TR></TABLE>

[This message was edited by TH Media on May 27, 2003 at 09:15 PM.]

I don't use TH Media's reseller account, but I do have a reseller account in the UK. Basically I can have as many domains as I like, which is pretty cool.

HOWEVER, it's worth hosting any sites that have a good amount of inbound links on a completely different host. Google tends not to pass PageRank effectively between sites in the same subnet (i.e. the same host).

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

>> Would domain parking be applicable?

Parked domains are not in use at all

>> Could you have the 10 different domains pointing to one account?

Yup. Valid technique if you have a single brand to concentrate on

>> Would having 10 seperate hosting accounts, 1 for each domain, be a better option as far as search engines are concerned?

Depends. If you are a blackhat then yes. Mix up your host locations and WHOIS data to avoid linkage. If not then it makes no difference, really

>> Is it feasable to have them all in the same account?

Yes. Bear in mind that in this scenario, if your host goes down, so do all of your sites. But managing 10 sites at 10 hosts is more complex. Are you more interested in convenience or resilience?

>> Would they all benefit from link popularity?

No. Link pop counts per URL (ie per page), so a link to one site will have no influence on any other site on the same box. Consider that in a typical shared hosting environment, a single server will typically have 1 or 2 IPs associated with it, and host somewhere between 200 and 2000 individual sites (possibly many 10s of thousands of domains if they are just parked. I've seen IPs with 60-odd thousand domains against them)

ABW Ambassador
    What do you mean by blackhat?

I know that having an important keyword in the URL is beneficial to search results. However, if you have 10 domains on one host, do the search engines still treat the URLs as different? Or because they are on the same host, does it nullify the benefit of having good keyword rich URLs?

Is having www.clothing.whatever.com still as good as www.clothing.com as far as search engines are concerned? and then www.posters.whatever.com and keep doing that for however many different sites I want.

Are subdomains the answer?

I want what is best for search results. I thought that having 10 different hosts would be better. However, if I could get away with having 10 subdomains instead, that would be cheaper

"Blackhat" is hacker terminology for someone who tries to break into systems for malicious purposes. It seems to have found another home in the affiliate world, where "blackhat" implies an affiliate who uses spammy tactics to rank their sites.

>> I know that having an important keyword in the URL is beneficial to search results.

Not as much as it used to be. If you are planning to keep the domain long term, you would be far better off with a good, short memorable, *brandable* domain name

>> However, if you have 10 domains on one host, do the search engines still treat the URLs as different?

Yes, but lets be clear on the difference between domains and sub-domains. Having domain.com, example.com and mysite.com on the same host will be fine (unless you trip a cross-linking filter), and even if one gets destroyed, if they are separated none of the others will suffer.

Having clothing.domain.com, posters.domain.com and widgets.domain.com on the same server is a bit trickier, as the sub-domains are actually all part of the same single domain, domain.com.

<sidenote> Inktomi seems to have a particular antipathy for sub-doamin sites. Unless you have quite a large amount of content per sub-domain (say min 10 pages) you will suffer. But then, hey, its Inktomi, so who cares? </sidenote>

>> I want what is best for search results.

Buy 10 separate domains (with keywords in if possible, but don't force it)

>> However, if I could get away with having 10 subdomains instead, that would be cheaper

Yup. It all depends what your target is really

ABW Ambassador
    I am not doing it to spam the search engines. I want to utilise the datafeeds that are available. I want a seperate domain for each of the companies who offer the datafeeds. I would design a template which would make the content unique. Each site would be competely different than any of the others.
    I have no desire to put up more than one site for each datafeed, that would be spamming.
    Due to the sheer number of pages generated by some of the datafeeds, it is just too much for my existing domain. I think that I could design the sites sufficiently well to make them pay for themselves and them some. So I am not too bothered if I have to pay for 10 or more seperate hosting packages. I am just looking for ideas on what is best.

OK, I understand your setup properly now, I was being a little dense earlier

>> I have no desire to put up more than one site for each datafeed, that would be spamming

Not necessarily. If you are only using part of the total information available from any given datafeed, and providing unique, targetted content to complement your feed data on each site, I see no reason why you shouldn't have multiple sites per data feed. This would give you the opportunity to try out different look and feels etc for different target markets as well

>> I am just looking for ideas on what is best.

My feeling is that you would be best served by acquiring multiple domains, and grouping your content logically. There may be some logical groupings where using subdomains would be useful.

The best reason for splitting up the domains, and using different hosts is to provide resilience. No matter how good an individual host is, web servers fail occasionally, and you would be well advised to have your sites distributed over multiple servers, and multiple hosts (sometimes and entire companies network goes down), so a single failure somewhere can't wipe you out completely.

Having multiple domains also allows you multiple chances to score with search engines

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Tall Troll

I have so many different ideas for new websites.
    By using 10 different web hosting companies, I can also determine which of those are the best, and which are crap. I have no idea which web hosts are the best, and I get conflicting opinions on all of them. Some say they are good, some say that they are terrible.
    I will always have my one main site, which will always be my main site, and that is the one I want the best host for. However, all the others will always be secondary, so therefore I don't need the best (and often expensive) host. There are hosts that offer a years hosting for less than $50 including domain name (once commission is taken into account)
    I am sure that some of these are crap. I will never know unless I try them though.

I'm paying about $700 for my reseller account, so the economics probably start to look favourable at over a dozen domains or so.

(A side note - I must get around to actually *reselling* some hosting some day!)

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

ABW Ambassador
    I know that Globat offer 1000MB of space for around $50 per year after commission. There are other hosting companies who offer less space who may be better. However, even if Globat are not as good as some of the other hosting companies, is it much to worry about?
    If all you want is space to put static pages generated from a datafeed, do you really need a super reliable host? If it goes down a few times, you will lose the visitors, but is that really much of a problem?
    My main site is always the only one that I will always be concerned with, and I need a reliable host. However, the other sites are pretty much build them and leave them type sites. I need cheap hosting with lots of space. The pages will be quite small, but there will be thousands of them.
    I never know which host to choose. This way I can choose 10 of them and test them all. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

[This message was edited by cjshoppingnetwork on May 22, 2003 at 03:03 PM.]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If all you want is space to put static pages generated from a datafeed, do you really need a super reliable host? If it goes down a few times, you will lose the visitors, but is that reallt much of a problem?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It depends. If Googlebot is *not* trying to view the site when it's down, then the problem is limited to what money you would have made if it had stayed up.

But if Googlebot IS trying to view the site and it's down, then it's a BIG problem...you'll lose your listings in the next index.

~Revenue is King

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, but Google states that they will try again if the site is down when they are trying to crawl. Depends on how many times they will try to crawl

I doubt there's much delay, although there is definitely some. I've read posts from people who were down for a couple of days and disappeared. Although a host would have to really suck if they stayed down that long!

I haven't had anything bad happen from being offline for a few hours or a day, but if you hit a really lousy host then I expect you'd be scr*wed. I've heard horror stories where the host is clueless that the server is down--and can't be contacted--for days...

I suppose there really isn't much danger of that happening, but the posts I read where people actually did disappear from the next index stood out because they showed that sheet does happen.

~Revenue is King

ABW Ambassador
    Is there such thing as 100% reliable? I know that a lot of places claim to have 99.99999 or whatever.
    Some people say bad things about 1 host, yet other people say that it is the best ever. It must depend on too many factors to really judge properly.
    I would like a host that is reliable, yet costs $50 a year. Possible?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Is there such thing as 100% reliable? I know that a lot of places claim to have 99.99999 or whatever.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think technically the answer would have to be NO. There's no way a host can prevent, for instance, a tornado or hurricane from blasting through and knocking off all their internet connections. I think a lot of them use "99.999" instead of "100%" just to acknowledge that occasionally even the best part may break, even the nicest states can get storms, etc. and to cover their wagon in case of these rare occurances.

Dunno about the $50/yr...sounds kind of cheap to me. I'd be wondering what corners were being cut in order to keep the host profitable! I am leery of companies that provide a vital service and don't seem to have a way to make a reasonable amount of money. Companies that fit that description (not just hosts) tend to either skimp on things, or die suddenly. It all depends on your tolerance for thoughts like "I wonder if they'll be there tomorrow" just as you're trying to fall asleep...

Personally I'd rather be safe than sorry so I tend to look for things that are a bit higher on the cost end. Higher cost does not always = reliability but I have found that Cheapness *does* usually end up leaving me with some kind of a problem. In other words, paying more isn't foolproof but it improves the odds. But weirdly enough (not just with hosts, but in general), in some things the *most* expensive option is just as junky as the cheapest so be careful! The best price point seems to be in the upper part of the middle--where it's not a huge-huge deal, but not a gouge either.

~Revenue is King

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread