What are the advantages of a dedicated IP rather than a shared IP?

Frank

"Just the facts, Ma'am"
    Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

ABW Ambassador
    Imagine you are sharing a webserver, and hence an i.p. address, with a spammer.

The spammer's targets may ban any email from that particular i.p. address - which includes you.

This happened to me - AOL banned a range of i.p. addresses belonging to my hosting provider, and about 30% of my mailing list subscribers are on AOL. I couldn't email a single person on AOL from that server for over a week.

Having a dedicated i.p. address stops this happening to you unless, of course, you are a spammer

Thanks microdot. A really good reason not to share.

Frank

"Just the facts, Ma'am"
    Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

Dedicated I.P. address allows your web page to be seen by a unique I.P. address and access your site directly without a DNS lookup.
    Advantages of a dedicated I.P. include reverse DNS lookup, well behaved error handling for web server errors, all your additional hosting accounts can be located under one I.P. A dedicated I.P. address is needed for anonymous FTP access.

How can you become a Super Affiliate?
    Answer: if you learn step by step from existing Super Affiliate.

ABW Ambassador
    A dedicated IP is also required for an SSL cert. There is one thing I would like to clarify to microdot. Most (if not all) mail will go out using the servers IP address, not necessarily the sites. So, regardless of your IP, you would still have a strong chance of getting banned if a spammer on your server.

Something else to consider about SPAM is if the provider does not do anything about SPAM, not only will that server get banned, but they start banning the Class C (meaning the ban the IP's surrounding that IP). That will continue to increase if the spam continues. It is very common for somebody to have a problem because of another hosting company in the same datacenter...not even related to you at all.

To be honest, there is no great benefit to a dedicated IP other then the anon FTP or an SSL cert. The exception to that is if you are a reseller, you would need them to set up your own nameservers.

On top of all that, ARIN is tightening down on the allocation of IP's. Hosts now have to prove usage to get them, and giving everyone their own IP doesn't constitute proper usage.

TH Media-Web Solutions For The Small Business
    Check Out The TH Media Affiliate Program

Dedicated IPs are scarce because there are only 4 billion or so in the IPv4 32-bit address space. It sounds like a lot, but because of the way they're handed out in chunks, the allocation can never be very efficient. Therefore they tend to be quite scarce when you consider that every computer and network component has to have an individual address. Look at it another way, you couldn't give every person on earth an IP address because there wouldn't be enough to go around.

This will be fixed eventually in IPv6 which has 128 bit address space, allowing a truly staggering number of nodes, but this is a major project which will probably take many, many years.

Look at it this way, IP addresses are like money. In theory there should be enough for everyone, but there ain't.

________
    All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread