ABW Ambassador
    I am ready to take my affiliate business to the next level. I have outgrown ipowerweb with their 400MB of space. I have been looking into dedicated servers for $129 per month, with 80GB of space.

What do people think of dedicated servers? Is it the logical way forward for an affiliate business?

I know what I want to do with sites and pages, I just do not have any space left.

Is going from a web host that costs $35 a year (after commission) to a dedicated server that costs over $1,500 a year too big a step?

I have made over $5,000 this month. I want to do a lot more with my affiliate business.

Has anyone done something similar? What kind of results did you have?

Any help would be appreciated

If it's what you need to do then you have to do it. That's it really. I wouldn't settle for anything less myself.

ABW Ambassador
    Do you know anything about racjshack? I know that TH Media use them, but are they the best?

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

I don't use them but I know of about a dozen members here using them. Heard nothing but good. There is a learning curve though to running your own server. If you are familiar with ssh already you'll do just fine.

ABW Ambassador
    It all comes down to whether your sales/commission level can sustain a $1500/year webhosting fee. If it can, then fantastic. Mine can't. I'm using less than 400 MB right now, but I'm getting close. As I add sites to my account, I only ask one question--will I make more (from this site) each month than it costs to host this site? If the answer is yes, I have no problem paying more for hosting.

There are a lot of options between $35/year and $1500/year. Myself, I pay around $350/year for hosting. It works for me. A lot of people at TH Media pay $900/year for hosting. And that's great for them. You just have to go with what feels good to you.

Michael

Retired Member
    The hosting fees are deductible so the actual cost will be less.

Retired Member

ABW Ambassador
    You can probably get a good server on a fairly good network for less than $100/month. First thing you should be looking at rather than disk space is your transfer usage. That's going to be the primary factor in a dedicated server. Next thing you should be evaluating is the network the server is located on. The best server in the world located on a bad network will kill your sales.

Do a lot of reading and studying before you make the move. A good place to start to determine what you really need is Web Host Talk Forum.

Then determine whether you have the smarts to run the server yourself. If the answer is no, you're going to need a managed server with someone who is reputable.

Also at Web Host Talk, you'll see companies offering special deals on servers everyday which could save you some big bucks.

ABW Ambassador
    I am also looking at options to move my domains. 2 months ago I moved to CyberWorld Inc (now known as e-insites). I have seen more downtime and slowness in these 2 months than last year with my old hosting company. Looking at the sale chart, I can tell when the server was unavailable. Still I am paying more here. One of the reasons, I moved just because I was running out of space in SQL server and it was costly to add extra spaces with the old host.

I am looking at ServerMatrix and RackShack. The issue with RackShack is that they offer totally unmanaged server whereas ServerMatrix offer some server management with the same price. Both are equally good. My problem is I need SQL server with the dedicated server. This means I have to buy the license. Added cost is over 3K. I am still doing my math.

ABW Ambassador
    cjshoppingnetwork & KCEdit -

If you want more insight into going dedicated or upgrading to another managed host, send me a PM.

Went thru what you guys are going thru for about a year before I found what I needed.

If you have experience with managing a server, it's safe to go with Rackshack. But if you don't have experience, I would go with a (semi-)managed solution , like VenturesOnline, ServInt, FastServers , RackSpace or ServerMatrix.

KCEdit: companies like ThePlanet (ServerMatrix) also offer servers with SQL server installed. You may want to ask them for a price quote. Or go with FastServers.net , they provide SQL server for an additional $108/month see here

ABW Ambassador
    Have you considered HTTPme? Great service and ultra fast support.

http://httpme.com/plan_page.htm

Damn, that sounds like an ad

-------------
    build, build, build, build...

I rented my first rackshack.net server two years ago. I'm now on my third dedicated with them, so I think they're great. The prices are rock bottom. It is completely unmanaged, but they have a great forum and 24/7 support.

I had no idea how to manage a webserver, but the interface that comes with it makes it fairly easy to create new sites and manage daily stuff on the server.

I've done a couple of blunders trying to install this and that, so now adays, I just pay someone to do it instead.

What I do when I rent a new dedicated, is to get someone (found someone at the rackshack forum) to tune it up, install mailscanner to remove virii and spam, install all the modules I need and all the latest stable patches for the server software. This costs around $150 as a one-time fee and it IS worth it for someone not interested in spending time learning Linux.

So these days my servers are running smoooothly, because of expert help and the fact that it is so cheap that I can just rent a new server instead of overloading the server I already have.

One disadvantage of RackShack is that it's impossible to get a really customized solution. I for instance needed a privatenet so that bandwith between my servers is not costing me money. Solutions like that are impossible with RackShack (as far as I know). But you can't go wrong for RackShack's prices. (I myself am using Netwave.com)

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks guys/gals. I posting this while watching my sites getting "timeout expired" error from SQL server.

Did not find a SQL server plan at ServerMatrix. Sent an email. Fastsevers.net dedicated plans seem to be 3 times to comparable plans at RS or SM.

It's not fair to compare FastServers.net with Rackshack. Rackshack is completely unmanaged, Fastservers is semi-managed. ServerMatrix is part of ThePlanet, but ServerMatrix serves the normal clients, while ThePlanet serves the clients who want more customized solutions.

Anyway: ServerMatrix, FastServers and Rackshack are all good (if I have to believe the stories on WHT)

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It's not fair to compare FastServers.net with Rackshack. Rackshack is completely unmanaged, Fastservers is semi-managed. ServerMatrix is part of ThePlanet, but ServerMatrix serves the normal clients, while ThePlanet serves the clients who want more customized solutions.

Anyway: ServerMatrix, FastServers and Rackshack are all good (if I have to believe the stories on WHT)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I couldn't agree more. As pointed out, a lot of the pricing you will find will vary, and support varies just as much. If you've never run a server before, and are not familiar with it, it is best to stick with somebody that can manage it for you. These companies will cost more, but will be worth it to you.

If you are familar with running the server, or if you find someone to assist you (there are plenty of techs for hire around...you just need to find the right one for your), then the lower priced options with a reputable company is a great option.

PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT AND HELP GORDON GET HIS NEW SHIRT...(He Needs....He Wants it....Grrrrrr)

TH Media-Web Solutions For The Small Business
    Check Out The TH Media Affiliate Program

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cjshoppingnetwork:
    I am ready to take my affiliate business to the next level. I have outgrown ipowerweb with their 400MB of space. I have been looking into dedicated servers for $129 per month, with 80GB of space.

What do people think of dedicated servers? Is it the logical way forward for an affiliate business?

I know what I want to do with sites and pages, I just do not have any space left.

Is going from a web host that costs $35 a year (after commission) to a dedicated server that costs over $1,500 a year too big a step?

I have made over $5,000 this month. I want to do a lot more with my affiliate business.

Has anyone done something similar? What kind of results did you have?

Any help would be appreciated<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

im looking into this:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumd...p?s=&forumid=4

most of these companies offer several gigs of space and bandwidth for well under 30 bucks a month. includes everything your host does now and probably more (not sure where you are hosting). they manage the servers for you. its a win/win situation!

the best part is that you can add on unlimited domains and sites for FREE as long as you are within your bandwidth limits.

i was pretty astounded when i saw all this.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>the best part is that you can add on unlimited domains and sites for FREE as long as you are within your bandwidth limits.

i was pretty astounded when i saw all this. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I looked at several of the posts there, and didn't see *one* that stated unlimited domains. Subdomains yes, but not domains.

Curious why you wouldn't be getting hosting off your on site though BigTop.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

ABW Ambassador
    A couple of things you want to be careful about. First, since you'll be having someone else manage the server for you (that person probably is renting the server through Rackshack or the likes) search the WHT forums for that person's id to get an idea of his/her reliability in the past. Second, make sure you have enough bandwidth with whatever plan you're going to use. 5 GB's may sound like a lot, but that's only 150KB/day. Dependant upon what you have on your site and the number of visitors, that may get eaten up very quickly and one of two things may happen: you'll be cut off for the rest of the month or you may get a fairly large bill for the bandwidth overage. Also check out who the provider is using for moving the traffic. A lot of them will go with a company such as Cogent which has a bad reputation for uptime because the rates they receive from them are cheap. Also make sure you find out which carrier backup network they're using when the first one goes down. Keep looking around and searching WHT. I guarantee you'll find a better deal at a lower price.

Last and not least, stay away from anything that says unlimited bandwidth usage!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BLFH (Ms. B):

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>the best part is that you can add on unlimited domains and sites for FREE as long as you are within your bandwidth limits.

i was pretty astounded when i saw all this. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I looked at several of the posts there, and didn't see *one* that stated _unlimited domains._ Subdomains yes, but not domains.

Curious why you wouldn't be getting hosting off your on site though BigTop.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

all of them are unlimited domains

i havent seen one that isnt.

and why would you be curious about my hosting? we arent friends and you arent a client and i dont recall we have ever done business. why the curiousity? perhaps you should be concerned with your pals hosting business?? looks like he needs your concern a lot more than i do

for ms b
    from the link i gave above...

1 post-
    BlueWho.com Plan 1
    1,000 MB of Space – 15,000 MB of Transfer – UNLIMITED domains - $20/Month

post 2-
    Unlimited MySQL Databases
    -Unlimited Sub Domains
    -Unlimited Parked Domains
    -Unlimited Add-on Domains

post 3-
    Startup Plan

3 GB webspace
    60 GB data transfer (normally 30 gb)
    UNLIMITED Hosted Domains
    UNLIMITED User Accounts (Mail/FTP accounts)
    UNLIMITED MySQL Databases
    UNLIMITED Subdomains

post 4-
    BUDGET PRICES - Multiple Domain website hosting!
    Host unlimited domains and websites on our new unlimited packages:

*yawns* yes theres more, but im tired.

ABW Ambassador
    15GB of transfer/month. I'd be wary of offers like that. Looks like they may be using Cogent or similar carriers.

Think you also owe Ms. B an apology for your F'd up and terse reply to her email.

ABW Ambassador
    BW prices have dropped, 15GB for $20 is no longer unreasonable.

Chet

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread