I am having a terrible problem with my web host. I cannot enter my own FTP address, and I cannot pull up my control panel to access the site. I have tried on 10 different occassions to contact them (e-mailing the webmaster, e-mail support ticket, and online chat). They keep telling me that they can access it fine from their end. So, I recently picked up iPowerweb hosting- my problem is this....they have my domain locked, and iPowerweb cannot transfer the domain until it is unlocked. My current host will not allow me access to my control areas, because they say there is nothing wrong with it. I can't upload my site, administer my e-mail, or anything. I contacted their registrar...and they told me that the domain was now unlocked- but when my new host tries to initiate the transfer, it still registers as locked. I tried to file a complaint with the BBB, but this outfit is in British Columbia(which I didn't know until now), so I couldn't find a form for International companies. Does anyone know of any action I can take, or any legal recourse that I have to get them to turn loose of my domain? I just tried again, through their online chat, to get them to unlock it to allow the transfer....but now they are ignoring the chat, because you have to enter your name each time before you are connected. This is starting to make me mad!!!!!

Carpe Noctem (Seize the Night)

Not trying to be mean at all though it may sound that way.

Either you don't have a clue what you are doing or they are lying. If they are lying I think you could contact nearly any attorney and have it fixed up real soon. On the other hand I don't know if you know what you are doing and since you mentioned they handled the registration I have to think you must not know. If you did you would have done that yourself and could move your domain to any server at any time.

It's also possible that they are viewing your domain from within their own network and that it's not available in other areas. If you think this could be the problem have them login to AOL and see if it's viewable.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    i can probably help, but I need to know the domain name. Without that, not much can be done.

Be aware that it takes up to 24 hours for a domain unlocking to make it into the Registry SRS and/or WHOIS database that the new registrar sometimes tests to see if a domain is locked or not.

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

All you should have to do is change your DNS servers with the registrar. You point them to your new host's DNS, and the rest should work itself out.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Canada has the Better Business Bureau too. If the problem is honestly on their end, report them to the Canadian BBB

A woman is like a tea bag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water

This is a really good example why you should always handle the registration of domains yourself.

Never let a third part register a domain name for you. Not your web hosting company, not a web designer. That's the only way you can have total control over your domain.

When you're ready to move, it's a simple change to your DNS servers and a day or two later, it'd done.

Who did you register the domain with. Do you have the account/username and password?

Opposite the Slough of Despond
    SJohnson, that echo's Moo's Golden Rule of domains: always keep the domain name and hosting apart. If you do that, you can walk away from a host at any time and there's nothing they can do.

All your commission are belong to us.
    Check out the latest Homeland Security press releases.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread