one of my domains will be expired soon, so i'm renewing and transfering that domain to a new registrar. everytime i check the transfer status, it always on "processing" status, and its been like that for 6 days. how long does the domain transfer actually take ? i've gotten an email from the gaining and losing registars and have approved 'em.

what worries me the most is the domain is still in transferring status ON the day it expires. if that happens, what should i do ? or what should i do now to prevent that from happening ?

The average DNS / NS updates take an average of 24 - 72 hours. If it's at 6 days I'd contact the registering administrator for an update to what the problem is. You have a confirmation receipt which ensures that you won't lose the domain name anyway. Good luck.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com

Here is how domain transfer are supposed to work:

You request a transfer at the new registrar.

The new registrar may require a confirmation from the admin contact email address before sending the request to the registry.

The request is sent to the registry which informs your current registrar of the transfer.

If your current registrar is happy that the request has come from the owner of the domain (usually by sending a verification email to the admin contact) they can approve the transfer at any time. They can also reject the transfer if they want to.

The current registrar has 5 days from the time the transfer made it to the registry to approve or disapprove it otherwise it goes through automatically.

However: Here is a problem: some registrars play with the process, especially if a domain is about to expire, they accidentally reject requests and by the time the request is resent the domain has expired.

An expired domain cannot be transferred, you either have to let it be deleted (taking 75+ days and risking someone else grabbing the domain) or renew the name with the current registrar!

So here is my recommendation:

1) If today is expiration day, phone the registrar you are transferring to and get them to look in the registry and see what is happening, phone the current registrar and hear their side of the story, they may push through the transfer today if you call.

2) If the domain has expired you will have to renew it with the current registrar, once it is renewed you can transfer to another registrar if you want.

3) If the domain expired a few days ago make sure you renew it within 45 days of expiration otherwise it goes into "redemption grace period" where it will cost you a lot more to undelete the domain.

#1 rule of changing registrars: Always start the transfer 30+ days before expiration.

Mark Mitford
    RevShares.com
    Solutions for Affiliate Program Managers

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark Mitford - RevShares.com:
    Here is how domain transfer are supposed to work:

You request a transfer at the new registrar.

The new registrar may require a confirmation from the admin contact email address before sending the request to the registry.

The request is sent to the registry which informs your current registrar of the transfer.

If your current registrar is happy that the request has come from the owner of the domain (usually by sending a verification email to the admin contact) they can approve the transfer at any time. They can also reject the transfer if they want to.

The current registrar has 5 days from the time the transfer made it to the registry to approve or disapprove it otherwise it goes through automatically.

However: Here is a problem: some registrars play with the process, especially if a domain is about to expire, they accidentally reject requests and by the time the request is resent the domain has expired.

An expired domain cannot be transferred, you either have to let it be deleted (taking 75+ days and risking someone else grabbing the domain) or renew the name with the current registrar!

So here is my recommendation:

1) If today is expiration day, phone the registrar you are transferring to and get them to look in the registry and see what is happening, phone the current registrar and hear their side of the story, they may push through the transfer today if you call.

2) If the domain has expired you will have to renew it with the current registrar, once it is renewed you can transfer to another registrar if you want.

3) If the domain expired a few days ago make sure you renew it within 45 days of expiration otherwise it goes into "redemption grace period" where it will cost you a lot more to undelete the domain.

#1 rule of changing registrars: Always start the transfer 30+ days before expiration.

Mark Mitford
    RevShares.com
    Solutions for Affiliate Program Managers
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Couldn't say it better. I transferd a domian from Register.com to another register and it took 6 hours pretty quick. If you are transfering inside the register it is quick as possible. IE. opensrs

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread