There has been discussion on webhostingtalk about www.serverpronto.com which have dedicated servers for $29.05. If that was the end of story I wouldn't even think of touching it. However, they are owned by infolink.com which seem to be legit. Anyone care to offer opinions?

My opinion is I wouldn't expect anything when taking such a server. Rackshack (biggest host in cheap dedicated servers) has low margins with their servers starting at $90 . I guess it's extremely difficult to make money with $30 servers . My choice would be to get a virtual hosting package or spend more on a server with ThePlanet.com , Rackshack.net or FastServers.net, as they have a good reputation.

ABW Ambassador
    Even if those are virtual servers (thats my guess), seems a bit cheap.....

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    A quick glance shows that they may intend to recoup the extra costs for things like support.

You get 2 tickets/mo--each one after that costs $15. Right away, they have an incentive to NOT solve things without adding red tape!

It's $10 for each additional IP.

There's a reboot fee! And it's weird. Under 5 minutes...$29. Under 30 mins, FREE. I guess they mean, if it takes them more than a half-hour to get around to bothering with it, then it's free?

$69 for a system restore.

$15/GB for backup space.

It DOESN'T seem to say certain other important facts: What kind of connection do they have (a 56k modem)? How about backup connectivity? What happens if a storm hits (power backup)?

More disturbing, I can't seem to be able to get at their TOS and AUP without going through the order process. It could be plain old bad site design...but a lot of times, when those things are hidden it's because they SUCK somehow!

To advance the form, it requires the person's billing info--so unless I find a link somewhere else, just what's hiding in the Terms will remain a mystery.

~Revenue is King

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AlwaysLearning:
    There has been discussion on webhostingtalk about http://www.serverpronto.com which have dedicated servers for $29.05. If that was the end of story I wouldn't even think of touching it. However, they are owned by infolink.com which seem to be legit. Anyone care to offer opinions?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Infolink legit on what? Spam, that is about all that they are legit for. That is why all the servers are so cheap. They are on cheap bandwidth cause no one will host their boxes. They were kicked off some Major Carriers, ie. Cognet and Yipes just to name two lower end providers. This post might be a little late but that is my 2cents

Thanks,
    Frank

For one the stats on the $29.95 server are pretty low. AMD 2000+, 256MB of Ram, 40GB hard drive, and then look at only 200GB of traffic before they start charging you more. (+ $0.89 GB /mo.)

256MB of ram is pathetic even for a linux server. Not to mention the better control panels, cPanel and Plesk are nearly double what other dedicated companies charge you. (cPanel is usually about $20, this company charges $40).

I suspect that things would start adding up very quickly with even a half-way successful site.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread