Hi, I'm new here and am just starting the affiliate game. For starters, I'm building about ten content sites, each one tailored for a specific merchant or product. As I'm registering these domains, I happened to come across a very good domain name with the word "atkins" in it and one with "south beach". Is this a TOTAL no-no? Even if it were something generic like "atkins-stuff.com"? That isn't it, btw.

Would it only be trademark infringement if I used the words "atkins diet" together? For instance, the "Zone Diet" I couldn't do but could I do "zone-information" or something?

Anyway, I'm just wondering what the rule is for this. I looked in Google and saw several sites that use "south beach" in the domain name.

I've been learning a lot from these message boards in my 2 days of lurking. Hope to keep learning more. In my first day yesterday I made a whopping $1.50.

The first bit of good advice I will give you is NEVER mention on any message board exactly what you plan to do, if it is legal you can bet your bottom dollar someone will pinch the idea while you are waiting for an answer. Unless you are more intelligent than I gave you credit for and it is a false name, if so please accept my apologies.

If I were you I would ask the merchants themselves, some will let you do it and some will do anything in their power to prevent you from using their name. Dilution of trademark or something like that.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Hi - thanks for your response. That was definitely NOT the name I planned to register, although I just checked and atkins-stuff is indeed available. I won't be registering that one, though, so don't care if anybody sees it. Rest assured I would NEVER post a domain name I was contemplating on a message board like this if I hadn't yet registered it. That would indeed be stupid!! I guess it probably isn't a good idea, either way. I'm better off going for heavily-typed in generic diet terms. The one I saw was just making me salivate, though!

ABW Ambassador
    Well if you had southbeachsomethingorother.com promoting South Beach Pizza Parlor or South Beach Hair Salon then the South Beach Diet folks could have nothing to say about it.

If you use a name to promote the same type of product or service as a well-known entity, then you may have problems.

ABW Ambassador
    I wouldn't risk it, they could legally get that domain if they wanted too. When i was still a rookie i lost a domain due to this. Imagine Coke have cocacola.com registered and not coca-cola.com. It varies between TM holders. Instead of atkins-stuff.com get diet-stuff.com and use Atkins in the meta tags. You shouldn't have a problem doing that and if there was ever a problem it's much easier losing/changing meta tags and pages, then losing a domain.

Thanks everyone. I'd be too chicken to do it, so I'll just stick with generic domains. I'm finding all kinds of great keyword domains with 1-3 dashes in them.

Here's another question for you all: say a popular keyword was "red widgets." Would "best-red-widgets.com" register well in the SEs even though nobody typically types "best"? Would have the keyword in the domain be enough to give it a boost?

I have another question. Is it worth it to buy a keyword domain that has only 500 hits per day in Wordtracker or do you folks only stick to keywords in the 1000s of searches?

this all depends. there more searches a term gets, the more competitive it will be. my advice would be to compare how competitive the keyword phrase is and compare it to how many times it is searched for. find less competitive keyword that has a decent number of searches.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread