I have a little question. I'm about to start on another site and I was wondering how a .com and a .org differ from each other in terms of ranking on search engines and for a sales site. I'm wondering this because I can register a domain with the exact keyphrase of the niche I will be selling with a .org. Does having the exact keyphrase in a domain name help a lot with SERPS? And would a .org be the better way to go in this situation than a .com which wouldn't have the exact competitive keyphrase? Thanks.

Hi Adam, I really don't think it matters so much on the domain name extension but more on the content of your site, WOOOOOO the engines with a hot site and watch the spiders crawl on in.

I have 2 popular wireless companies, 1 being a .COM and the other a .NET and they seem to veer well with indexing.

We also own our own ISP company, also being a .NET and that does very well also.

To your success!
    Kevin - GO WIRELESS!

Ok thank you Kevin. I might go with the .org extension then. Anyone else have any other thoughts on this? Thanks.

Hi Adam,

Good Deal! I think you will do just fine with the .ORG extension just focus on the content of the website like you done on Ram-deals. I have Ram-Deals on my advertising network and I'm very picky who I allow on our network as I turn down alot of requests daily, LOL

Best of luck in your ventures,

Kevin- GO WIRELESS

adam, If you wanna go with .org go for it. I have a org site and I'm doing great with it...

Alright thanks guys. So would having the exact competitive keyphrase for my domain name help with some ranking in the SE's? Seems when you type a searchterm into google the first site is "searchterm.com" or is usually at least on the first page of results. Thanks again.

I'm being told now by few other people that having a .org extension site that will be selling stuff is not such a good idea. They say you usually can get away with it until you start ranking better than your competitors .com websites and they may report your site for having products on a .org extension. But I heard that google will approve adsense for .org sites. So the site would be making profit in some way. So maybe affiliate links they wouldn't care so much about, but rather if you were an actual business selling products on the site and shipping out and everything. I just don't want to make the mistake in buying a .org domain and then a few months down the road get in some kind of trouble.

Hi Adam, In response to your question regarding the .ORG extension... I believe and correct me if I'm wrong that search engines will rank your site based on this particular order:

1)Quality of content
    2)Link Popularity
    3)Name Last

Remember that.ORG is a big thing as this points toward an Organization and there is nothing wrong with that.

Furthermore, I imagine these same people that have come back to you with a negative response will argue that websites with hyphenated names aren't high earners, well I just indexed a new company I bought in New Jersey and it seems to be doing very well already and it has a hypenated domain name. I think what it breaks down to when it's all said and done, people can give a rats patoot on a name so to speak, it's your company and what you represent, the guarantee you will offer them, this is what they come to you for. As far as the engines, once you list your website a few times, you will be golden no matter what extension you have, they want content, they don't care about name extensions.

Thanks and best of luck Adam,
    Kevin -GO WIRELESS
    http://www.xtreme-speed.net

Isn't .com supposed to indicate the site is commercial? And isn't .org supposed to indicate the site is an organization?

Andy

Andy, yeah thats what I heard to. .com being Commercial and .org being "Non-Profit" Organization. But I heard that Google allows adsense on .org websites, so I think having a .org website should be alright for an affiliate website.

"Isn't .com supposed to indicate the site is commercial? And isn't .org supposed to indicate the site is an organization?"

Yep, but in fact there are no enforceable rules that require either.

Your competitors can carp and moan all they want about you using a .org extension, but it makes no difference and certainly not to the search engines.

The one thing that WILL make a difference, is if you actually try to appear to be running a charity organisation when you are not - but that's a matter for fair trading organisations and such to tackle.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread