OK, I'm fumin made right now so I thought I'd pass on some info about hosts. My current windows hosting company has been down a whopping 7 times this month for just over 20hrs total.

I've sent them ANOTHER e-mail and we'll see what comes of this. Of course there are now up-time guarantees so I'm guessing I'm SOL...

I'm not sure what others use but a couple months ago I subscribed to InterSeers free monitoring service and have gotten e-mails every time the site goes down. If I didn't have it I wouldn't have known how often they went down..

Makes me wonder how often they were down BEFORE I started monitoring..

I am not defending your host by any stretch, maybe they're really a crappy host... But keep in mind that internetseer pings your domain every 60 mins, so if your host was down for a re-boot that lasted 2 mins while internetseer visited, it would list your site as down for 1 hr (until it's next check).

Now I would be leery of any hosts without an uptime guarantee, we would not be trusted as hosts without one as most consumers have come to expect it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr. Fel:
    I am not defending your host by any stretch, maybe they're really a crappy host... But keep in mind that internetseer pings your domain every 60 mins, so if your host was down for a re-boot that lasted 2 mins while internetseer visited, it would list your site as down for 1 hr (until it's next check). I am not judging your hosting program either, when I first started,the experts at Linkshare recommended Yahoo, Tripod and angelfire, they were free, and you don't need html. free on yahoo, means templates that don't work, and the pther freebies put ads above, flashing so bright they would blind you.There are many low cost programs out there, It's hard enough to compete with your own merchants, but that's the way it is, and all those free get rich quick schemes,only reduced 50% to several hundred bucks,like SFI, My nickle is to you,
    JJ

Now I would be leery of any hosts without an uptime guarantee, we would not be trusted as hosts without one as most consumers have come to expect it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

for $2 per month you can keep your hosting company honest....

I use httpwhere.com to keep track of the up time of my hosting accounts...

this service allows you to set the frequency your website is pinged.

best $2 I've spent lately...

I found one hosting provider was unable to keep my website online... I had a 60% uptime.... this explained a drop in sales...

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Thanks for the tip M2C.. WELL worth the money if it lowers my blood pressure..

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread