I've been trying since the first of July to contact the host/registar for my site games-spot.com to renew the domain before it expired on july 19th. I have numerous suport tickets STILL open on their support, and have sent many many emails (nice until yesterday) I tried to transfer the domain but cannot because it is locked?? Now my site is gone completely and they still have not contacted me.

Anyone have an idea how to get my site back? I do not recommend this hosting company btw

ABW Ambassador
    They don't handle disputes but you can file a complain through ICANN. They monitor complaints but won't mediate them. They do send a copy so the registrar knows their behavior is a matter of public record.

http://reports.internic.net/cgi/regi...lem-report.cgi

Wayne

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I usually hate calling places, but sometimes it's necessary. Emails/support tickets are good for a lot, but when things get really backwards, it's usually time for the phone. And this definitely sounds like a qualifying pick-up-the-phone emergency!

If it's Enom (that's what's showing as the host in the whois), their number is 425-274-4500.

I had a registrar (Names4Ever) delay, and delay, and delay renewing my domain once. The live chat only got me smart*ss pure BS--very rude, and emails were answered with BS boilerplate. In short, they claimed they had renewed it and that the (multiple) whois sites were wrong!! Never mind that their own interface said it was NOT renewed, and had gone into registrar-lock!

Finally I called up their parent, APlus. The registration was renewed and visible in whois.sc within about an hour.

Of course, I yanked the dom away from them as soon as I could (see below) after *that* happened!

~~~~~~~~~~~

Another bad you should be aware of, is that domains can't usually be transferred right after renewal. So once you get them to aim it at the right place again, you'll be stuck with them until that no-transfer period is up. After that, yank it far, far away, of course!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Thanks guys, a suport person just emailed me asking the domain name, even though it is already stated in the email. Hopefully I will not have to call, cause I hate calling places too.

Guess I've learned my cheap hosting lesson

http and a telephoto
    The other lesson here is to manage your domain names yourself, through enom or whoever and *Not* register it through a web host.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I would not be suprised if you were not alowed to renew the domain because of anti cyber squatting laws, being that you are so close to gamespot.com. I just know that a registrar can be told not to let a name continue... I would think they should still respond to any tickts you have with them tho.

Good Luck!

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Try https://www.enom.com/help/sendpassword.asp

If it'll give you a password, you can log directly into eNom, put some money in your a/c and pay. The name will be live again within 24 hours.

This is a problem with an eNom reseller, not the registrar itself, so ICANN is hardly likely to get involved.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    The other option might be to create a new account directly with enom, fund it via paypal to the amount you need to renew, then attempt to transfer the name into that account. As it's not a cross-registrar transfer, it might work even though the name is "locked".

I would contact enom directly.... if you cant get the problem resolved ask to speak to a supervisor...

I have most of my domains with emon, their support dept is one of the best... they will point you in the right direction...

Just remember domains can not be transfered for 60 days after they are registered... this includes renewals... this policy is set by ICANN to help prevent fraud...

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Are you sure about the 60 days? I think it's not that much.

I set up a new account with enom and got the domain pushed to the new account and had to pay an extra 20 bucks because the domain had expired. But the problem was with the hosting company/reseller. Now my site is still not online, and I'm ready to pull my hair out....and no response from their support.

woohoo, all fixed! Someone have a beer for me!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Cool!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I hear horror stories like this all the time especially when registars refuse or ignore unlock requests when domain owners attempt domain transfers.
    You're lucky the fee was only $20.00 - new customer of mine ended up paying $100.00 to reclaim their domain - I think their webhost/registar ignored all renewal requests to make mucho cash on the redemption. Afterward they had to threaten legal action to get the domain unlocked so they could transfer it.

But than I am sooooo cynical

Glad it all worked out for you.
    CharPaula
    Staying focused on the bottomline

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread