Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Quick question. Does anyone know if this is still true? Running hosting servers from home. If not then where is server co-located? Don't need address just, California, New York.

I have nothing about running any business from home, specially hosting service. I think it might be the future since T1 prices are so inexpensive and for mini-sites there's no problem.

I do appreciate the honesty from Floyd on this previous post.

http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...1299#225601299

ABW Ambassador
    I had looked at running a server from home and there are definitely pluses and minuses regarding cost. The cost is strictly based upon where you live and the availability of a T1 line. Out here in Calif where I live, I could get a T1 line but had to pay to have the line run about 20 miles which is BS because the phone company already has a lot of T1's in this area. Cost just for installing the line would be about $25K.

The best thing to do (and what I did) is to find a good hosting company and get a dedicated server. You can find good inexpensive ones if you look. It also eliminates the hassle of getting up in the middle of the night when the server goes down.

I think the T1 thing and your friendly local Regional Bell Operating company (LEC) is the key). Where I am, I can get a T1 installed for free, and pay $650./month.

Do I have one? No.

I looked at a business plan to start serving stuff up from my house (where I work), but to make it cost effective, I would have had to sell hosting. Then it got ugly, because I then needed all sorts of back-ups, and redundancy that folks demand. Then there's selling it. "Oh, where are your servers located?" "In my living room."

Just didn't work.

I found a great host www.kualo.com, who offers reseller packages. I can put as many site up as I want, resell if I like, have shell access, and get good service. I was with THMedia, but there were problems with the reseller accounts. Now I get the same excellent service as I had with THMedia.

Okay, sorry for the sales pitch - I'm done.

If you like adventure - then host at your own place.

Fred

Are you sure the nurses know you're using the computer?

Affiliate Manager
    I know of a guy in Cali who is running a server out of his closet and is profiting $1000-3000 a day. He used to have a big server at an expensive host but downsized his whole business and increased his profits and just started hosting his sites out of his house.

If you are just looking for a simple how-to manual you can check out http://www.diywebhosting.com . Pretty simple program that guides you step by step as to how to host a site from a home computer. If you are looking to set up a whole server farm that is a different story though.

For the same money that you spend on a T1 (about $500/month), you could lease up to five dedicated servers.

Using dedicated servers at a reliable major hosting company provides many advantages: Higher burst bandwidth (10 or 100 mbps vs. 1.5 mbps), redundant connections, backup power, and some degree of management.

I agree that there is a bunch of money to be made in web hosting (500 sites at $10 per month is $5K per month), but whether it's hosted at your house or at a major hosting company doesn't affect the cost much.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I found a great host www.kualo.com, who offers reseller packages. I can put as many site up as I want, resell if I like, have shell access, and get good service. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Buy online - I just checked them out. They look good, decent price too. Thanks for recommending them. I've been hunting around for a second reseller account to host my sites. I just sent them a couple of pre-sales questions and got a response in about 5 minutes.

Thanks tmd5!

I think you'll find they have both US and UK support too.

Fred

Are you sure the nurses know you're using the computer?

I started hosting out of my house in December and so far so good. I have 5 dedicated ip's and a road runner business class connection giving me 3mb's upload.

I wouldn't recommend this for everyone depending on where you live. In my area the cable internet is not maxed out. I probably account for most of the bandwidth in my whole town.

As far as running the server itself I like having it here where I can make quick changes, fix problems with the least amount of downtime and I don't have to pay some pimple popping tech guy from Cali to get up on a sunday morning to fix my server.

Of course this all means you need to know what you are doing.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Descisions....Descisions......

Somebody just recommended me to http://www.pair.com they seem pretty good and good prices etc. Any body heard of them?

buy_online, thanks for info on kualo.com they do look good.

&gt; "Oh, where are your servers located?" "In my living room."

Exactly I don't want to be asked that. I might tend to be too honest when somebody says "What's your uptime? Oh, about 80% LOL,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I probably account for most of the bandwidth in my whole town.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

M.McNabb,

Thats great, congrats, I wish I could do that here but bellsouth in Florida has no competition and when they are down they are down.

Also the opposite here, bellsouth has too much bandwidth being used by everyone else.

If you depend on your websites for a living, I would not host them at home. Datacenters have the luxury or backup power, multiple Internet connections, SLAs, hardware guarantees, etc that you can't replicate at home.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread