I am currently using Server4You for my Dedicated server. I am looking for a more reliable service.

I have been checking out Managed Dedicated Server Solutions and found rackspace.com. A Managed Dedicated Server is not near as cheap as the Self Managed Server i have now.

Has anyone here used or currently use rackspace?
    OR
    Does anyone have suggestions for reliable, service oriented Managed Dedicated Hosts i should checkout.
    dave

I have a vps account with servint.com they are not huge but their support has been very good. Not sure if they have dedicated accounts.....

check this forum out. There is good information there....

Forum Link

Dave,

ABestweb is hosted at rackspace, infact ... I have 4 dedicated boxes there and will never support/use anyone else - they are that darn good!!!!

[edited to add]

I saw forMYOG's link and www.webhostingtalk.com (another great resource) wanted to add that they are also hosted at rackspace.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    Dave,

Haiko is right that webhostingtalk.com is a good resource (I always use them). Forget about them being hosted at Rackspace though. Rackspace owns them. Go to WHT and you'll find info on virutally every host there, both the good and the bad.

Don't know what your budget or bandwidth needs are. I have a server at The Planet and they are very good. You get 2GB of bandwidth there. They also have a sister company (forget the name at the moment) where you can get the same quality of service but at a lower price.

Have recently heard good things about Rackspace altho don't use them as they had some negatives at the time I was looking. Believe it had to do with ancillary charges at the time.

There are a lot of good hosting companies out there mixed in with the not so good. First thing you'll have to decide on is the quality of bandwidth transmission that you want. A low price is usually indicative that a poor low-priced carrier is being utilized, but there are some hosts that use good carriers for their traffic and poorer carriers as back-up to keep their costs down.

Bob

servint has VPS and dedicated servers... there support has been good... by email on on the phone... I've only been there a short time... but i have push there guys to the limit a couple of times.. already... they stayed with me while we worked through the problem...

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

bob95603
    i use 50,000 MB (50 GB) of bandwidth per month now so the bandwidth needs to be substantial and reliable. I hope to double my business in 2005.

Reliability, Hardware Replacement and daily back-ups are the most important. This is why I'm looking for a new host.

The downtime I've had this past year for hardware and network problems would pay for a year of hosting at rackspace. So price is not as important as i thought it was.

Haiko
    that is interesting and useful. I have noticed rackspace has some big name companies using them. On the outside they are impressive

Question: i have noticed some problems in the past with ABW being slow, was that just a forum software problem and not the network or server?

how long have you been with them?

forMYOG
    looks like a good resource I'm checking it out now.

my2cents
    I'll check out servint... thanks
    dave

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Has anyone here used or currently use rackspace?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use them. I've been with them for a couple of years now. Great service and reliability.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The downtime I've had this past year for hardware and network problems would pay for a year of hosting at rackspace. So price is not as important as i thought it was. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought there had to be a catch with Server4you...their prices sound too cheap to be true!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bob95603:
    They also have a sister company (forget the name at the moment) where you can get the same quality of service but at a lower price.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    http://www.servermatrix.com

Occassionally theplanet/sm post specials on WHT.

Tuan

[tried to quote, computer locked up and needed to restart so the full quote showed and then I answered in the TD thread - as that issue was pressing at this time (see - http://abw.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=tp...9&m=6451008801 ]
    Continued Success,

Haiko

i thought something was missing
    dave

Dave,

Please see the edited message and following message to answer your posts.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

ServerMatrix and ThePlanet specials can be a pain to find at WHT. You need to do a search on "yourhost" at WHT to find them.
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

ABW Ambassador
    Kapsat,

Screwed up. The 2GB should have been 2000GB.

With 50,000GB of bandwidth I wouldn't bother talking to Rackspace. Talk to Tranact Global (http://www.tranxactglobal.com). They're owned by the same company that owns Rackspace (EV1) and use the same carriers as far as I know. You'll probably be able to cut a better deal with them for the same service. They're out of Atlanta. They also sit on the backbone.

My question to you is: at 50,000GB/month, why are you self managing your servers rather than having someone else do it who has a 24/7 operation?

Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bob95603:
    Kapsat,

Screwed up. The 2GB should have been 2000GB.

With 50,000GB of bandwidth I wouldn't bother talking to Rackspace. Talk to Tranact Global (http://www.tranxactglobal.com). They're owned by the same company that owns Rackspace (EV1) and use the same carriers as far as I know. You'll probably be able to cut a better deal with them for the same service. They're out of Atlanta. They also sit on the backbone.

My question to you is: at 50,000GB/month, why are you self managing your servers rather than having someone else do it who has a 24/7 operation?

Bob <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

(it's 50GB which is = to 50,000MB)
    When i first started using a Dedicated Server my traffic was not even close to that. This is why the reliability is so important and why i'm looking at a Managed Server now.

Also i like to learn everything about what i'm doing. Managing my own server has been a good learning experiance.

I thought it was RackShack.net and EV1Servers that were the same not RackSpace.com??
    dave

ABW Ambassador
    Dave,

You're correct. Evidently too much wine while typing last night.

Bob

Dave,

You're correct. Evidently too much wine while typing last night.

Bob <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man...WHT has alot of info...it's givin me alot of ammo.

joe,
    servint is getting alot of good reveiws so they are in the running. i assume you were talking about servint.net?
    dave

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread