Hi all, I am about to change my 3 websites hosts, the current host has become VERY unreliable, and i need change. Will google hate me for this? I have a pr of 5 on one site. and have just got my other 2 sites listed in the SE's, will my PR vanish? if so , how long does it take to rebuild that PR.

any tips and insight would be greatly appreciated.

From my experience, but could be a coincidence anyhow:

I moved one site over a year ago and my referrals from Google disappeared almost completely.

Three other sites, which I moved within the last 3 months haven't had a problem... yet.
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

no, I moved 6 weeks ago to a dedicated solution... I now have more pages in google then I have ever had...

I would get the new hosting account setup and active and load my sites just as they are currently then I would change the DNS info

the transition will be seamless with no down time...

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

thx yall, im going to wait for more posts, it seems like a 50/50 tie as to whether its good or bad..

and joe.. if you dont mind me asking, can you pm me some of your hosting recommendations, my current host has awsome prices in regards to a virtual dedicated plan (Excellant benefits and features too) but they have been down more times than i can stand (especially with me tryong my hand in adwords again, clicks to a "Page not found" page still cost me)

thx for the insight you two.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I would get the new hosting account setup and active and load my sites just as they are currently then I would change the DNS info

the transition will be seamless with no down time...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Moving hosts is done 1000's of times a day. As long as you follow the advice above you will be fine. So...

1. Keep your sites with your existind host.
    2. Upload copies to your new hosts.
    3. Test to make sure they are working OK
    4. Point the DNS to your new host.
    5. Check to make sure the DNS has propergated to your new host server.
    6. Wait a little longer just to make sure.
    7. Tell you unreliable host to get st***ed

Hope that helps

R

I moved my domains recently from a host who was up 100% but slooow to a host that is fast but has been down 3 times THIS WEEK!!!With no response to emails.

But when they were up the transition was seamles.My pr transfered etc... Just do as Richard C. suggested.

I'm off to find another host...uggg
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

As others have said: Copy the site to your new host and change your DNS. It will be seamless. People who have old DNS information will hit your old host. People who have new DNS information will hit your new host.

It typically takes a day or two for DNS information to make it throughout the Internet. Google used to take 30-60 days, but not any more.

Once your traffic has totally disappeared on your old host (or has dropped down enough that you don't care), you can drop the old host.

It shouldn't make any difference to Google, as long as your new IP wasn't associated with a major SE spammer.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    You should have no problems moving.

I moved some sites in December and there were no problems. No one noticed, not even google.

Hi MichaelColey , is there any white page I can look at to see what hosts have been suspected/penelized for se spamming??

I dont wanna move into a worst situation.

I have been wondering about a white list myself. Seems like it would be a goldmine. Something possible but not very probable.

Yep ... it's all depend on the web host you used. If you get a spamming host, then your pr will definitely suffer.

I'm lucky to get the good ones - transferred my pr with no problem.

But my advice is you should not let your site without a host for more than 1 month, since you'll lost the pr. (You may be able to get it back but sometime you won't)

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread