Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I checkhed out ebates.com to see how things work and how they rewrite the affiliate links to credit themselves.

As far as I understand, if the user downloads "Moe Money Maker", this piece of software is the one that rewrites affiliate links.

When user visits a merchant's sites, this software opens up a pop up "remind" them use ebates link to get back cash or discounts.

Is it how they work??? Or, do they overwrite the affiliate links, whether the user clicks on their link or not?

So, if this is how they work, there is not much we can do because the users agrees with it, selects it. It's very unethical, yes, but!!!

The important thing is for merchant to allow ebates to give cash back and/or discounts, different than other affiliates, thus creating an unfair competetion. Compensating best performing affiliates is another thing, letting this scumware to create a such offers is another.

Because, if user clicks on their, the only motivation is to get the offers that he/she couldn't find in the where they orginally clicked on the merchant's link.

That's not only unethical, but illegal also.

ABW Ambassador
    Go to your own affiliate site and click on some links. I think (reported in another thread) that you do not need to click on any eBates reminder. The link is automatically and very quickly redirected through their own affiliate link. This is not conscious thought on the part of the shopper, and even if a shopper could decide who to give the commission to, that is not a reason for claiming legality.

If you go to a car showroom and buy a car, but tell the salesman you want the commission to go to Save the Children instead of the salesman - would that be legal? Ethical? ALLOWED?

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

ABW Ambassador
    There is no need for the user to click on anything in order for the redirection to occur. It is an automatic redirection.

Even if you have a direct product link on your site, ebates TopMoxie will at this time redirect to the merchant homepage. If they hit the back button, it starts all over again.

Keep in mind, most merchant affiliate sections have a statement to the effect that "Anytime someone enters ***merchant name*** through a link on your site and makes a purchase during that visit, we will pay you a percentage of the final sale." This is false in the case that they are partnering with ebates.

They have several options. By default, it automatically redirects affiliate links. It's actually not technically an automatic redirect, but functionally it is. What actually happens is that once you get to the merchant site, a small popup appears in the bottom right-hand corner, then the main browser page goes through the Ebates affiliate link, then the popup disappears. For me, this all happens in about a second or two.

If you change the options, you can have it pop up a notice and only redirect if you tell it to.

There is also an option to completely disable it.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

I prefer the disable option! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Connie Berg
    www.flamingoworld.com

It not only redirects affiliate links.
    It tacks its' own affiliate id in if someone types the merchant's URL in directly or clicks on that merchant's OWN newsletter. In both of those instances, the store should NOT be paying eBates a commission -- but they are.

Additonally, this is not an opt-in. Once you download eBates (which makes it impossible to disable later on) it automatically redirects ALL links it's associated with within .5 seconds.
    You're technically given a "disable" feature if you right hand mouse-click, but it does not disable the re-direct links nor the Mo Money maker pop-up.

I'm currently producing a 1 min. digital video demonstration of all 3 cases:

* Where it overwrites links from people clicking thru my site

* Where you type in the .com by hand

* Where you click on a newsletter

If anyone would like a copy of this video emailed to them, please email me and I'll be happy to send you a copy. It will be available on Monday and being created for some merchants who've asked for it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

With my best,

Liz
    http://Styleforfree.com

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    How is everyone getting to the disable thing? I couldn't find Mo Money anywhere (except if I do a ctrl + alt + del) and end task. I don't see anything in my sys tray, start menu, program files, etc for the program. I did see a preference link when the "You are earning" thing pops up. But it didn't pop up consistently for me. And when it did, it was so fast most times, I didn't have time to get my mouse over to the link and click on it.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

Oh, it seems that the program is called JavaRun.exe Also I finally reinstalled ZoneAlarm today. I've been relying on the firewall through my router, but was seeing some strange things, so decided I wanted some added protection for anything that may be sending info out from my computer. Just now while I was on ABW, Zone Alarm popped up and JavaRun.exe was attempting to access the Internet. I denied it access. Don't know what it was trying to send out. Then I went to a merchant's site that is connected with Ebates, and the program kicked in without setting off Zone Alarm. Which I guess would be right since it's doing it's thing through the browser and the browser had access permissions. ???? Still wondering what it was trying to do though when I wasn't on a merchant's site that set of the firewall.

BLFH;

In order for me to attempt to disable, I do a right hand mouse click (anywhere in your browser, no matter what browser you're using),
    and select "Ebates".

There's a "disable Moe Money Maker" after the eBates window pops up. I have disabled it, but it still keeps popping up and over writing links [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

With my best,

Liz
    http://Styleforfree.com

Thanks Liz. That's a real *cough* standard way of accessing a program. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] When I clicked on Disable Mo Money Maker, the pop up window changed to "Can't Find Server" Error page. Also I wonder what the difference is between the choices of "Display the Mo Money Maker for all Merchants" (default) and "Display the Mo Money Maker for Ebate Merchants Only."

Hmm, clicked around some more, and I get the "can't find server" page anytime I try to change any of the settings.

ABW Ambassador
    Welcome to the eBates hotel. My name is Norman, I will be your host.

Protophoto - Short Stories

Liz,

How stupid these 500 merchants are that they let ANY kind of traffic to their site to be commissioned by eBates?

Most of them may know about this!

Anyway, this really sucks!

BeFree hosts their affiliate program!

CJ praises them as most succesful publisher!

And, we seems like just wathcing it!

ABW Ambassador
    Reminds me of a time I alerted a Merchant of an override of my code by ... I think it was Java*something... You remember Haiko ... I called you and we couldnt pin this Java thing down.

Guess we did ... By the way ... The Merchant I deal with ..dumped them.

Dave

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Hope Elizabeth brings along a room deodorizer when the aroma of eBates-Morpheus-Mrmerchant-Whenu and the parasite peanut gallery permiates the air. The "incents" need incense to appear in public.

To put the problem in prospective have the networks provide a PC with internet connection with all BHO parasite programs installed. Test the apps on all types of links and hijacking routines for the onlookers. Then do conventional un-install from windows. Test agian for the fact these boogers setup the hidden "paycheck" loads to not be uninstalled. Then run adaware and some other detect/remove programs for theftwarez/spywarez installs. This should be part of the adjenda as the rest is just spin tactics and smoke and mirror marketing ploys.

WebMaster Mike

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    - - - - - - - - -
    Hope Elizabeth brings along a room deodorizer when the aroma of eBates-Morpheus-Mrmerchant-Whenu and the parasite peanut gallery permiates the air. The "incents" need incense to appear in public.
    - - - - - - - - -

Mike, one of the things I like about you is your subtlety! ah,hahahahahahlololol.....

I Will FOCUS On My Goal

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Elbow..I'm a little bit like rolling Yogi Berra's gift of meaningless gab together with the AFLAC Duck. Constipation of thought and diarea of words.

WebMaster Mike

Beates Moe Money Maker is again automatically redirecting links as of this morning.

Do you have a recent download or old download? It was only supposed to be "fixed" for the new downloads. I've heard no timeframe to fixing all the downloads already on computers.

What the heck!

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

I have a new download. I downloaded the day after they announced that they updated. It worked fine but this morning I got the automatic redirect. Can someone else try it 2 make sure I'm not the only one.

New download is confirmed of doing blind redirects on Affiliate links.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli</font></p>

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Has someone else independantly confirmed this?

If so, networks, what are you going to do about it? Form a committee? Discuss? Give them another coupla weeks to conform again? As the day after thanksgiving is the biggest shopping day ever, what are you going to do?

I Will FOCUS On My Goal

I confirmed it using one of webmaster Mike's Links!

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Hmm, maybe ebates realized that more of their revenue was being generated from other affiliate links than that ridiculous % they've publically stated. Love to hear the excuse they'll have for this. Oops, we accidently started offerring the old download again by mistake. Yeah right. Which also brings up the fact of how their software immediately tries to connect to the Internet if when you boot up. So it should be no big deal to update the old versions out there either.

I suppose it's time to see just how firm LS is going to be about it's addendum. It will only make a difference if they enforce it. That makes me think of another question. I wonder if ebates ever actually signed the addendum?

eBates has NOT signed the addendum, even though, LS has been after them to do so for quite some time.

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast