Golden Retriever sounds like Moe Money Maker. IN my email box this morning.

Just in time for Holiday shopping, ShopAtHomeSelect.com is offering Double Cash Back Rebates on our top stores through our NEW Golden Retriever, Cash Back Reminder Software. It's free!

ShopAtHomeSelect members, like you, appreciate the convenience and ease of shopping online and getting up to 30% Cash Back. So, gear up for the holidays and shop 500+ stores like Dell, Barnes & Noble, Disney, Coldwater Creek, L.L. Bean, Avon, JCPenney and Walmart. Plus, shop today and enjoy double cash back from ShopAtHomeSelect!

Double Cash Back is only available through our NEW Golden Retriever, Cash Back Reminder Software. It's free and it takes less than a minute to update your computer.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Someone asked about this program awhile back. I tried to install it to test, but it never would install for me. I even emailed them about the problem, but never got a response. It would stall out halfway through the install.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

On behalf of ShopAtHomeSelect, we are committed to following industry guidelines and to keeping it fair in the affiliate world. The overall intent of the Golden Retriever program is to help our members earn their cash back incentives while shopping top merchants online. Our members have the option of downloading the program, and we also let them know how to uninstall if necessary. We developed this program after numerous members requested the service from us. Our intent was not to be unfair to other affiliates, and we have invested significant resources as a top priority to modify our program to ensure this fairness.

We are currently in the final stages of testing our software so that we do not automatically overwrite affiliate links. An updated version of Golden Retriever will be released within the next 2 weeks.

We appreciate the patience while we make the necessary changes. Please feel free to contact me with any questions regarding this area.

Dena Ocampo
    Dena@ShopAtHome.com
    (816) 550-2044

www.ShopAtHome.com
    www.ShopAtHomeSelect.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Well Dena what prompted you to evaluate and decide on a BHO spyware/adware package that didn't have a damn thing to do with the ShopatHome.com offerings. You purposely sought to enrich your company by capturing and monitizing your users with theftware. If the merchant's products taking up shelf space at ShopatHome's web site aren't selling then you obviously feel you have nothing of value to provide your own site's referred shoppers and seek to cherry pick other merchants bargains.

No need to cover up your ethics with some spin about a new release of the spyware/theftware package called Golden Retrever ..you bought from a underground warez source. Your example as a network merchant who has gone to the "darkside" will just fuel other copycat merchants, who use every diversion tactic in the book, to try and enrich themselves on the work of others. You have no feeling for your rebate "incent" users if you purposely place malware on their systems.

Develop a one button complete un-install and you'll go further than the rest of the BHO parasites. Who gives you the right to advertise on my site without my permission and some remuneration? I own that IP, just like WalMart owns their parking lot and building, and pilfering others shelf space by "getting away with it" til caught is no excuse. You send a real message to the ABW group by your lame cover-ups.

WebMaster Mike

I spent some time reviewing the Golden Retriever product and found some very disturbing things...

They have essentially replaced user's winsock which can conflict your network settings to a point where your system is permanently hosed. This type of development (and subsequent deployment) is extremely dangerous as it pertains to the stability of your PC. It's one step beyond proxy serving (also stupid and potentially damaging).

Once installed, they can monitor all the networking traffic regardless of the source. Nasty stuff.

The funniest thing of all is I quickly determined why the product isn't working... a typo in their code. Let's hope they never find it ;-)

ABW Ambassador
    Mr. Pinehurst...

At one time in my life, I worked as an iron-worker for the summer so I would have money to continue my Masters degree work.

I helped build the bank in Pikeville, KY. I have never found a place, or a people, quite like it again in my many years since.

Obstinatedon

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

Mahatma Gandhi

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Don do you have any official comment from Linkshare on the fact this merchant used an affiliate ID# swapping program and installed Malware/spyware/parasiteware on the referred shoppers systems. Until they got caught by someone here at ABW, was LS going to keep quiet on this one hoping we wouldn't findout about some others using this viscious package? You can bet IBM ran these guys through the testing ringer for BHO crapwarez. I have a feeling TigerDirect would want off their list if Andy knew about this!!!

Just the computer merchants supporting this parasitic BHO plug-in for "incent" traffic..
    00inkjets.com 18.00%
    123Inkjets 10.00%
    ABC inkjets.com 10.00%
    TechnoScout 10.00%
    Lizell Office Furniture 9.00%
    McAfee.com 7.00%
    shopathometv.com 7.00%
    Cyberguys 6.00%
    PublishersPipeline.com 6.00%
    Batteries.com 5.00%
    FranklinCovey.com 5.00%
    Handspring 5.00%
    Shop.Microsoft.com 4.00%
    Cobra Electronics 3.00%
    Office Depot 3.00%
    TTA Direct 3.00%
    Buy.com 2.00%
    Computers4SURE.com 2.00%
    Dell Home Systems 2.00%
    Dell Software & Peripherals 2.00%
    Home Shopping Network 2.00%
    Iomega Corporation 2.00%
    J&R Computer Music World 2.00%
    MicroWarehouse 2.00%
    Office Max 2.00%
    RadioShack.com 2.00%
    Spiegel 2.00%
    Staples 2.00%
    Techdepot.com 2.00%
    Tigerdirect.com 2.00%
    Viking Office Products 2.00%
    Walmart.com 2.00%
    Circuit City 1.00%
    Gateway 1.00%
    PC Mall 1.00%
    RitzCamera.com 1.00%
    2 For 1 Inkjet $3.00

WebMaster Mike

[This message was edited by EcomCity.com on November 18, 2002 at 01:03 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    Hello Mike....

Let's start with your opening comment:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Don do you have any official comment from Linkshare...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even while working at LinkShare, I never worked in a capacity whereby my comments would be "official" as it pertains to LinkShare policy.

Now, on the other hand, if this piece of technology did indeed overwrite affiliate code in the HTML whereby they received credit as opposed to the affiliate who should have been compensated, my comment; albeit unofficial in any sense of the word, would be to call it outright thievery - period.

As to your comment concerning LinkShare's culpability in this mess, I do not believe under any circumstance that LS had any knowledge of the act.

Obstinatedon

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

Mahatma Gandhi

I find it ironic that McAfee is on several of these lists.

ABW Ambassador
    Mike
    Have you made Andy from TD aware of this?
    Cazzie

This application is a perfect example of programming gone wrong yet people continue to ignore it. I find it scary when an adware/spyware application cannot be uninstalled cleanly or when it gets into OS level configurations that can risk the stability of my PC.

These are the people of greatest risk to affiliate marketing...

Neil,

Since you seen to have knowledge regarding software/programming, etc from your posts maybe you could shed some light on something for me. I found components associated with the ebates download for eTraffic. I could find nothing on ebates or Top Moxie's site regarding eTraffic. Doing a Google search on it, it looks like it's some type of company who does tracking of users surfing habits? Have you ever looked closely at the ebates program or know anything about eTraffic. When I look at my ebates dump file I see that eTraffic is continously trying to access the internet. Well ebates does too. Now this can't have anything to do in either case with the ebates serving up their rebates since I've denied access through my firewall, yet ebates redirects and with their affiliate links and all pop ups are served saying I'm earning my rewards.

It would appear to be some type of monitoring spyware program that is not being disclosed. But I'm no programmer and would like an opinion from someone who is more knowledgable in the area.

I have an older version of the Ebates software as well and I did see some references to etraffic. And when I went to the Web site etraffic.com it resolves to topmoxie.com. So therefore I would conclude that they are one and the same.

In terms of the Ebates application and what it is doing, I have a packet sniffer which suggests it is retrieving some data from Ebates.com. I can only assume that is how they keep the content fresh in their application. But it is curious that it continues to work even when I too prevent that packet from being retrieved. Do you know any former Ebates merchants who no longer participate and may be included in your system (in other words, because the updates are not happening, is the content stale?).

I don't see any packets going out from the application... and in reviewing the topmoxie site it appears that's not the basis of their design anyway.

I'll keep fiddling about...

I don't have ebates turned on right now, so I'll have to check that next time I reboot. Since the pref option that should allow me to activate and deactivate the software doesn't seem to work for me. I don't know frequently their merchant list has been changing in the past.

But there does seem to be a couple of id # numbers that are attached to the ebates URL it is trying to connect to.

Mr. Pinehurst,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>This application is a perfect example of programming gone wrong yet people continue to ignore it. I find it scary when an adware/spyware application cannot be uninstalled cleanly or when it gets into OS level configurations that can risk the stability of my PC.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree 100%!

Irresponsible programmers like these have no place in an controlled environment (affiliate marketing) I'd rather have an eBates install that tries to F my winsock than some russian crap, I hate calling international [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

But seriously, eBates is scum and TopMoxie is the Doctor who made the Frankenstein! They have to make money but Why program a pilfering program? They [TopMoxie] can create anything but they select to side with the darkside ... why is that? I wonder what it would cost for TopMoxie to come to the clean side of programing (to disable eBates etc) ... we have the $$$ I think we should talk!

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread