ABW Ambassador
    Makes a lot of sense doesn't it?

Does this annoy you? It annoys me.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

--
    ...only in the affiliates interest...
    The Newer Nicer Joseph [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Yeah, it is annoying to get rejected for affiliate links but see ten sites worse than yours in the same category. It all seems a bit random -- that's what you get with a force of volunteer editors, not all of whom necessarily have the purest of intentions (present DMOZ editors excluded, of course [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]).

Has DMOZ taken an even harder-line stance against affiliate sites? The guidelines allow(ed) them if there is content other than the affiliate links. What was the rule? Picture the site without any affiliate links and if there's a useful site there with unique content, you're good.

--
    Scott Jangro
    sjangro@befree.com

No, DMOZ has pretty much laid down the gauntlet.

If any of the content (such as a review of a product, even if written objectively or negatively) anywhere on the site links to an affiliate store, it pretty much disqualifies the whole site.
    A site that is 98% content and has a standard banner would probably be OK, but any mixture of content and links to revenue generating sites will get it canned.
    That's not what they officially say, but if you read through the posts, that is effectively what they enforce.

L4

E-mail the editor for the category listing eBates, and bring it to their attention that it's an affiliate site, and a somewhat questionable one at that.

Chances are, unless the editor is totally unresponsive, they'll drop eBates from the index.

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

ABW Ambassador
    Scott, Look4,

What Look4 has stated has been my experience as well. This is not ALL editors, nor ALL categories, mind you. Its very inconsistent and random as was stated, but, there are some editors that seem to want to rid the web of affiliate URL's period. And, once a site is "red flagged" .. fuggedabout it.. even if it is added back by a peon editor, a higher up (meta is it?) can notice it easily and decide to can it again.

I'm just confused as to how ebates can be listed in any case as they really do not offer any content.

--

You all should read this post on webmasterworld, this slackjaw editor states:
    I can tell a mile away if the page is put up to make money or because it was a labor of love. So if your primary concern is to make money, it’ll show on the page. I reject such sites.

That is the kind of thinking going on, everyone should design websites for fun and pay for it out of their own pocket. Elitest losers.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    But, my Hobby is making money. That's my labor of love! Sheeesh!

I Will FOCUS On My Goal

I recently had a couple content sites get listed in DMOZ. They each have a few affiliate links "woven" in to some of their pages. So I think if you supply tons of really good, helpful content to the user the DMOZ editors will overlook a few affiliate links.

Now the big question is -- how will these sites convert? I'll let you know...

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    3)I can tell a mile away if the page is put up to make money or because it was a labor of love. So if your primary concern is to make money, it’ll show on the page. I reject such sites.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Give me a frinkin break, they list every merchant in the universe in a second. Can you imagine how merchants would respond if they couldn't get listed because their primary concern is to make money. Yet affiliates could get listed who promote their sites.

The double standards and outright unfair bais against affiliates by dmoz needs to be legally challenged. This is rediculus!

ABW Ambassador
    qball,

Heh. read that earlier.. skimmed, actually.. Seems there is some debate as to whether he is really an editor or just someone blowing smoke.

Though, sometimes it does seem like that is their policy! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

--

I don't understand this at all. My site started out as a content site and was listed in dmoz early (about two years ago). It was only after people started writing to me asking where they could buy stuff and I discovered affiliate marketing that it became a shopping portal as well. It's now a lot more shopping than content.

My site is still listed there. I don't think once you're listed they bother to go back and review you. So, if you're wanting to be listed in dmoz, wouldn't the smart thing to do be to start with a content site, get listed, and then turn it into an affiliate site?

---
    Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

Tracy,

That's exactly how I started as well. A content site that got so many inquiries, I decided to sell a few things.

I don't think most editors at DMOZ have the time to go back and review sites already listed, unless they have to divide their category.

I believe all of the SEs are looking for more relevant results, and sites designed strictly for sales will have a more difficult time in the future getting listed.

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread