ABW Ambassador
    What should I do?

When I started on this quest last year, this merchant wasn't listed at any of the scumware sites as "partners". I decided it was safe to proceed and reap the rewards. I noticed a couple weeks ago that they're listed at Ebates.

This merchant is the only vendor with these products (and an affiliate program), I have poured at least a hundred hours into promoting them and don't want to throw it away.

Should I tell them that I won't build new pages for them until they drop ebates?

-OR-

Should I promote the living crap out of their exclusive line of products? They have a line of products that nobody else sells and are tops in the SERPs for it. I know I can top them in the serps.

When they come crying that I outrank them and I'm "stealing" commissions from their free SE listings, should I point out that Ebates has been doing the same thing all along, but also with PPC listings, free SERPS, e-mail clicks, and even my affiliate commissions?

-OR-

Should I find a distributor for these products and become a merchant? The thought has crossed my mind, though I would need warehouse space.

Please give me your thoughts.

Consistency is the key to a winning season.

Tell them. Hopefully they'll listen.

I would've never known about eBates, or scumware in general if I hadn't wandered into this place. But now I'm proud to say we have a parasite free program.

I'm sure I'm not the only clueless merchant...

Bryan Simonson
    bryan@smoothcorp.com
    SmoothCorp Affiliates
    iFLOOR.com/3%/sale/avg.sale=$800
    RugArea.com/12-14%/avg.sale=$400
    CornerHardware.com/6%/avg.sale=$80

ABW Ambassador
    Bryan, CornerHardware is listed among the merchants at Schoolpop which is parasitic.

ABW Ambassador
    My .02, don't issue ultimatiums. Present facts in a business manor. If it is in your best interest to remove them, do it.

IamJaloppy

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Last year I spoke with over 200 merchants. Many, many of them had no clue what I was talking about. Several took the time to acquaint themselves with the issues, and cleared their programs up. I'd talk to them, point them to a few threads, especially if their name is mentioned somewhere in the context of working with parasites, that usually gets a reaction.

- - - - - - - - -
    A page a day keeps the creditor away!

No one here has the right or should want to advise you to do anything that will take the food off your table.

If you make money with them as things are, do not change. All I personally want is that you not add any merchants that are parasite affiliated. If merchants can't get new affiliates to join their cootie ridden programs, the message will be heard.

And, given that you have so many good, parasite free, merchants to choose from when building new sites and pages, this should not be any great burden to you.

I would encourage you, however, to let the merchant know that their parasite free status was a large factor in deciding to use them in the first place and that you feel betrayed by the change. I would also, encourage you to tell them why you feel that is an important determinant in choosing a program. Tell them that you will be hence forth closely monitoring the profitability of their program to determine if changes need to occur. Do not make any threats you do not want to carry out. It only makes you foolish.

When and if you find a suitable replacement or when they are no longer lucrative is soon enough to yank their links.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

LISTEN! CJ don't give no whistles no more! I can hear the music of another piper!

ABW Ambassador
    Is there a current list of Ebates merchants? This could be a feature glued to the top of this forum. I'm interested in which of my merchants to drop and am hoping NOT to find my best performing merchant on the list.

Wayne

Read and weep!
    http://www.ebates.com/all_stores.go

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

LISTEN! CJ don't give no whistles no more! I can hear the music of another piper!

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSanf:
    If you make money with them as things are, do not change. All I personally want is that you not add any merchants that are parasite affiliated. If merchants can't get new affiliates to join their cootie ridden programs, the message will be heard.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Alrighty, I won't change. I won't promote them any more than I already am. (No new pages, but I won't tell them that.)
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSanf:
    I would encourage you, however, to let the merchant know that their parasite free status was a large factor in deciding to use them in the first place and that you feel betrayed by the change. I would also, encourage you to tell them why you feel that is an important determinant in choosing a program. Tell them that you will be hence forth closely monitoring the profitability of their program to determine if changes need to occur. Do not make any threats you do not want to carry out. It only makes you foolish.

When and if you find a suitable replacement or when they are no longer lucrative is soon enough to yank their links.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Alrighty, time to draft that e-mail.

Consistency is the key to a winning season.

ABW Ambassador
    Read and weep!
    http://www.ebates.com/all_stores.go<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Thanks! The good news is that my best performing merchant isn't on the list. (Won't mention their name in case the scumware-lord reads this.)

The bad news is that there is a whole lot of other losers are on the list that are moving to the bottom of the pages or out completely. Let's see..

I'm happy to be developing new pages for the merchants I've met here, especially parasite-free ones with datafeeds! These I'll work hard to promote.
    Wayne

Best of luck with all your endevors.

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

I think it's important to let merchants know why you aren't going to promote them, why you're dropping them, or why you won't add any new pages for them.

The point must somehow get across to them:

IT'S US OR THE PARASITES! YOU CAN'T HAVE BOTH!

We're the ones putting thousands of pages on the Internet featuring the merchant's products.

We're the ones doing the pre-sell for them, literally handing them a customer with credit card at the ready!

We're the ones who will make their affiliate program grow in a cost-effective and cost-efficient manner.

So, merchants, who's it going to be? The bloodsucking parasites or an active sales force with almost endless ways of promoting your products?

Andy

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread