[edited out (C) images, post if you need the list of merchants.]

[This message was edited by Haiko on September 22, 2003 at 12:32 PM.]

[Edited to remove ignorance and general stupidity]

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware!
    [What is Parasiteware? click here to learn more]

Since this is a new Parasite lets not yell at the merchants that are on this list, just alert them nicely.

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

Affiliate Manager
    Hotel Discounts was removed this morning- should be off their public list as well soon

Jessica Hutson
    Senior Manager of Affiliate Relations/Development
    Interactive Affiliate Network
    A parasite free contract since June 2001
    http://ian.com

Booted both of them this morning from both Essential Apparel and SportsFanfare... adios!

Akiva Bergstrom
    Affiliate Partner Manager
    EssentialApparel.com
    CJ/6%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@essentialapparel.com
    Phone: 973.696.6200 ext 751
    > Join now! <
    SportsFanfare.com
    CJ/10%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@sportsfanfare.com
    AIM: akivabergs
    > Join now! <

let's keep on ...

Haiko

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    How many more of the incent BHO buttholes will appear next week. Our trusted merchants appearing on that list of internet con-men -fronts for spammers, True confessions Mag. type advertisers and FREEBEE con games should demand the network inside promoters be put in a stockaid.

Come clean JC Whitney, Akiva, Eastwood and other ABW posting merchants ....how'd you get your brand, extra spiff and name on this BHO piece of trash. Tell the real story of how these BHO's operate to get you to sign off on their commission stealing game plan.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by Haiko:
    Since this is a new Parasite lets not yell at the merchants that are on this list..

The Psychics sites on the list should have known this would happen.

Wayne

Wayne,

or at least heard the

Haiko

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    quote:
    Since this is a new Parasite lets not yell at the merchants that are on this list,

True, but can I yell at the networks? But seriously, Mike has a point in that post of his. Looks at the merchant's on that list who have worked hard to keep a clean house. Heck, it was an AM who brought this to our attention. The Networks have separate TOS for affiliates with software applications as it is. Part of that agreement is supposed to be that the merchant's are notified (we've seen what that auto email looks like that CJ sends to merchants) and that they provide a version of the software to the Network for evaluation by the network compliance that it meets the COC. This software obviously doesn't meet the COC.

So my question is, how does an affiliate with software like this sneak past the networks? Linda indicated surprise on CJ's part and they were "investigating." What measures are in place by the Networks to make sure publishers are signing up under the correct TOS? Surely it can't just be on the honor system of the publisher.

I'm seriously curious as to what measures are in place to assure that affiliates who use software applications are making it known to the Networks. Or are they making it known and apps such as this one are "deemed" compliant? Or are the Networks just turning a blind eye as things ramp up for the holiday shopping season? Inquiring minds really would like to know.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

Hmm, I see I'm going to have to go graemlin hunting again. I'm getting outdone here.

I really love the fan.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

Mike I'd love to say how they did it but there are people who read this board who may use that info to get their BHO's past many other merchants. Sorry.

Akiva Bergstrom
    Affiliate Partner Manager
    EssentialApparel.com
    CJ/6%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@essentialapparel.com
    Phone: 973.696.6200 ext 751
    > Join now! <
    SportsFanfare.com
    CJ/10%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@sportsfanfare.com
    AIM: akivabergs
    > Join now! <

This is owned by Aspire Communication Services, LLC. who is also CyberBounty. For those that don't know, CyberBounty is like WebSponsors and OnResponse and have been around about the same amount of time. We have been affiliated with them for several years but haven't done much with them in the last couple of years because they just don't offer that much. As far as I know, they have always been on the up-and-up in the past.

I saw about a month ago that they had added PointsPassport and I joined up and downloaded it. At that time they only had the offers that they have in their network. There was nothing from outside networks like CJ, Linkshare, etc. I didn't mention it because it looked like it wasn't going the parasite route. Guess it was too new and not developed when I saw it.

Gotta go write a blasting email to CyberBounty cancelling my affiliation with them.

Mike,

How'd I get my brand up there? I'd approved them just a couple days ago. It would seem they got into a bunch of programs and pulled the above together right off the bat.

I'll have X number of new applications to review each morning. I review each site looking for a number of things given the time available. Am reluctant to go public with what specifically I look for as I don't want to tip off those who might try to fool us. It can happen such as in this case that what they're really doing is not discovered until after the fact. When discovered it is dealt with as was done here.

There are other cases such as another one I killed off yesterday that I discovered when reviewing... well here again I don't want to tip my hand. But it took a while for it to manifest what they were doing. Once spotted it was dealt with. Nothing to come clean about. I can sleep at night. Some are filtered out before we start. Some are only discovered later once they show themselves a bit more. Do I catch everyone at the start, no. Once discovered am I dealing with these folks, yes. Am I on the lookout? You betcha'.

Rick

quote:
    Originally posted by EcomCity.com:

Come clean JC Whitney, Akiva, Eastwood and other ABW posting merchants ....how'd you get your brand, extra spiff and name on this BHO piece of trash. Tell the real story of how these BHO's operate to get you to sign off on their commission stealing game plan.

Rick McGrath
    Partner Development
    JC Whitney & Co.
    affiliatehelp@JCWhitney.com
    800-863-4227 ext. 5681
    AIM: RickJCWhitney

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    This is a brand new CJ publisher and they did not identify themselves as having a download - that's how they sneaked in.

This is what CJ replied when I emailed them with a complaint about this publisher.

"I'll have someone test their program by way of the download and see if it is compliant or not. They are a very new publisher so we do need to check them closely anyway. They have properly identified themselves as incentive "yes" but the download could involve more than that."

I reported this to you guys 1st, then to CJ, then I canned them, then I discussed with other AMs in the AM forum. They just signed up a couple days ago and had only sent Irvs one click last month so no time to do any damage. Once again ABW team work caught a crook!

Linda Buquet :: Affiliate Management Consultant :: Catalyst eMarketing.com
    5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit ABW Forum
    EveryTicket Sports/Concert Tickets :: Irv's Luggage Warehouse :: Executive Essentials Office & Gifts:
    DentalPlans :: HealthPlans :: Avid Hosting :: IntelliContactPro :: zZounds Music :: Roadloans :: MORE!

ABW Ambassador
    LOL - Love the fan!

Haiko.... Fed up here with all the crap.

There is a ton to do and I'm sure you, Ms B and others have "heavy sholders" from the weight of it all.

I'd like to start contributing $100 a month to help the cause. I'm not sure if you're open to this concept or not but the clemson tigers have a program called iptay which stands for "I pay ten a year".

The people who "iptay" are awarded a simple sticker to advertise they contribute in the efforts to fund the university. I'm guessing you get very few donations but if it could be worked into a recuring payment that is authorized on a monthly basis perhaps you'd get more donations and a steady flow of cash to help fight the cause. This may just be "a bad idea" but at least I'm willing to help and trying to think of ways to better combat the scum with more support from general affiliates.

We'll gladly be an wpham LOL if you want to consider this. This is our livlihood and I sure want it protected.

I know what I'm offering isn't much but if the concept can be applied to your forum where many participate it could add up.

I can't imagine what our income opportunities would be without the support from the dedicated folks around here!

Thanks and let me know what you think.

===============================
    PeePee merchants with PooPoo policies allow our earnings to be flushed down the crapper.

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants directly support what many consider unfair trade practices and thievery!
    ===============================

There goes Charlie again shooting peanuts out of his @ss without even knowing what he is talking about! Being negative AGAIN and trying to alienate HONEST AMs who try to do the right thing! Your attitude makes me so mad sometimes!

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by CHARLIE EcomCity.com:

-------------------------------------------

None of us did anything to partner with this company!!!!!!! They signed up like any other publisher and grabbed every merchant they could find, just like many honest publishers do. The difference is instead of putting up normal affiliate links they made all these coupons to distrubute by unethical means.

NONE of us partnered with them on purpose or made any special deals. And the 2nd Patrice, I and others got the email and found out what they were doing, we reported it and canned them.

How dare you even accuse JC Whitney, Akiva, Eastwood and other ABW posting merchants of doing anything dishonest. You should know better than that! We are your biggest advocates in this BHO mess!

Let's focus our efforts on solving the problem, instead of turning on the people that are in a strong position to help fight the cause!

5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit ABW Forum
    EveryTicket Sports/Concert Tickets :: Irv's Luggage Warehouse :: Executive Essentials Office & Gifts:
    DentalPlans :: HealthPlans :: Avid Hosting :: IntelliContactPro :: zZounds Music :: Roadloans :: MORE!

I just contacted RoadLoans and DentalPlans and they both dropped this publisher too.

Linda and Rick,

Deep breath. I think you may have misinterpret what Mike (definitely not Charlie) wsa trying to say here in his classic Mike tongue in cheek way.

quote:
    Our trusted merchants appearing on that list.....should demand the network inside promoters be put in a stockaid.

Tell the real story of how these BHO's operate to get you to sign off on their commission stealing game plan.

I think Mike's anger rose when he scrolled that list just like mine, but not at the merchants but the Networks!

Mike post translation:

I see trusted merchants from ABW on this list for this BHO (can't take that out). When I see these types of merchants listed with these types I think that the merchants have a right to demand accountability from the networks as their (the merchants) brands, commissions, and names are being associated with these less than ethical companies. The networks are supposed to be the trusted 3rd party providing among other things a certain degree of quality in both merchants and affiliates and the watchdog for fraud on both ends. So how are these BHO's being able to sign up with merchant's who are publicly opposed to such applications?

~~~~End Mike Translation~~~~

You'll have to pardon me Mike if I've misinterpreted what you meant in anyway. The translations definitely lacks a certain amount of flair and colorfullness.

But this is an important question that needs to be answered. Many merchants auto approve. They have to due to time limitations. Many of the apps are hidden behind an actual sign up to the site. The Networks need to show they are doing due diligence to screen affiliates and that the affiliates are registering under the proper TOS. What about the dang CJ spider??? That son of a gun should catch this type of thing. Why not put it to some good use???

Poon,

That is a very generous offer. There is a donation thingie at the very bottom of the parasiteware.com site via PayPal. Haiko would never say, but I will. You could probably count on one hand the number of times that has been used. Haiko would pay any expenses out of his own pocket before he actively promoted that donation to the membership here. But it's there for anyone who is interested.

BTW Haiko, PayPal now offers a subscription/recurring fee option.

I am getting a bit worried about you today though Poon. Too many nice posts in one day. Don't forget you have to live up to your member title. (j/k)

Linda you sure misunderstood my plea to have honest AM's like you come forth and devulge any pitch you might have received from a recruiter for these BHO's. Jump starting a new BHO affiliate with 100's of merchants showing rewards, they can afford to give to their incented members, led me to conclude they negotiated side deals with the AM's approving them.

Ms.B understood my intentions to have the pro-affiliate AM's inform the others how these BHO's sneak into their programs or get mis-represented by network insiders as must have Super affiliates. I was hoping some force, that can clone BHO's with just a warm fuzzy URL and common incent spin, wasn't getting insider network appoval on 500 parasite supporting merchants at site launch.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Well I sure side with Poon -Haiko -Linda and other ABWers how have been fighting this battle to burn out the rats infesting the affiliate networks. They come in a variety of forms all driven by a common DNA thread. They consider normal domain bound affiliates as cannon fodder to be exploited to further their get rich quick schemes. The conieving affiliate Dupers seek out merchants who have AM's asleep at the wheel. Entry into the Ad whore marketplace is simple as no one checks ID's at the door.

I'm all for taking ABW to the next level as 200,000 educational posts reduces us to a force to be ignored by the power players sucking the bucks out of this industry. To put us in a position where we get respect and action on our demands, we have to put on our thinking caps.

The enemy is the ADVERTISING MINDSET that considers normal affiliates as cheap Ad space. We can't change the sleazy Ad industry ...only distance ourselves from it's stench and total disregard for ever having to justify their fees.

Lets find the vulnerable spots, like the BHO's did, in the networks where the lame Ad mindset affiliate managers and merchants lurk. What powers are at work to negate the hard work and unified voice of ABW members. Thinking cap on folks.....

Where are the networks most vulnerable for attack??

1.Responsibility for Recruiting active affiliates to justify merchant entry and ala-cart network fees.

Reason: 10,000 have come to ABW to mix in with successful affiliates often for nefarious reasons. Networks and merchants (AM's) come here to recruit fresh meat and active affiliates and push new programs.

Plan of attack: ABW is not paid to recruit for the networks collection of sleazy non-converting merchnats and DUPERS posing as merchants. The networks promise those new unproven merchants EyeBall generating recruits as part of the entry fee. It sure is easy for ABW to spot and rank the new merchant inductees and challenge the potential sleezebags from day one! The very posting of new network merchants here, with our own Non-Politically correct rating and discussion, will force the newbee AM's to divulge the merits and pitfalls of their programs.

Benefit: Forced education of the AM via the ABW site and alerting all members and lurkers we can spot a not-ready-for-primetime wank upon first evaluation. We ...not the networks ...check their ID at the door diluting this vital role of the network grand promise of cheap advertising. At least the ABWers won't fall for the obvious Duper and merchant con-men Traps and we all learn from the evaluation discussions. Basically we haze the new merchant inductees, protect our loyal pro-affiliate merchants, and put the networks on notice we want no more shanky merchants stinking up the commission pool.

Let's digest this and then add more network vulnerabilities, which can be exploited to upset their plans to replace 10 new merchants for everyone that bails out of their BHO trap.

We can put a real dent in the tricks for Clicks and sleezebag affiliates, BHO's, and network recruiting efforts forcing full disclosure of earning potentials into those new merchant profiles by refusing to be pawns for the Ad whores.

Mike & Charlie ...

Not to derail what Mike-n-Charlie posted, because that merits discussion, but I do want to clarify that as soon as I realized that PointsPassport was not on the up and up, I dropped them and posted about them in the private AM only forum.

Eastwood auto-approves. Their description did not mention anything about a downloadable application. There was no special deal, nor were we contacted in any way prior to yesterday regarding their services.

Thanks..

-patrice

patrice.colancecco.milligan
    affiliate.manager
    eastwoodcompany.com
    e: patrice@eastwoodco.com
    v: 610.323.2200x2206
    aim: patricemilligan
    ::visit.our.private.forum.at.abw::

quote:
    Originally posted by patrice - eastwoodcompany.com:
    Their description did not mention anything about a downloadable application. There was no special deal, nor were we contacted in any way prior to yesterday regarding their services.

For those affiliates that think us AM's don't care, you are mistaken. We were the one's that brought this guy out as soon as we found him.

Honestly, I find it hard to even blame CJ in this instance. This guy opened an account and put nothing in his description about the download component. On first look at the site, it looks like any of the other point/rev share sites that are out there. It was not until they e-mailed us about their program that we knew there was a downloadable component.

CJ has 1000+ merchants and 100,000+ affiliates. It's hard for CJ and the merchants to police everything and everybody.

As merchants, we try to auto-approve as many applications as possible to make it easy for affiliates to post our links. In order to keep out the few parasites (and there are only a few), should every merchant manually approve every application? As affiliates, you would be so annoyed at CJ and the merchants because you would never get anything done because you would always be waiting for approvals.

I'm not saying the parasites are not a problem, because they are. Some of us AM's have taken a stance and turn away the revenue from the parasites while our competitors are in bed with them. We are trying to do our part to fight this problem. As affiliates, you can do your part by focusing your efforts on the parasite free merchants to help us thrive.

I know this is a bit of a rant, but the whole parasite issue is very frustrating.

Scott Marino
    WebUndies.com

CJ ~ 12% commission / 60 day cookies / unlimited actions / parasite free

CJ and the other networks could frontpage post a notice telling ALL that "Any affiliate who uses a BHO must get their S/W application tested and approved before they can earn any commissions. Any affiliate or merchant performing drive-by or hidden BHO installations will be immediately banned from the network forfeiting all commissions."

See how simple it can be!

Mike & Charlie ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast