Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    I am not going to post the URL or publisher name. Don't want to hang someone without enough evidence. I want to know if any other merchants got this email from a CJ publisher. It came to my direct email - not through CJ.

------------------------------

"Hi,

We need your assistance. Help us pull end users from your competitors to you!

As you know we are currently running your campaign on our web site http://www.?????.com

You may also be aware of our 'Travel Pack', a free download that we give to all of our end users which follows our subscribers whilst they surf the net displaying your campaign whenever a user visits one of your competitors web sites.

Of course you know your competitors better than we do! Therefore if you could please supply us with a list of the domains of your competitors we can add this into our system immediately."

-------------------------

This is a NEW CJ publisher with no earnings rating yet. They have only sent one click and NO sales to Irvs, so I am not too worried yet. The site is one of those earn points by surfing sites.

I was rushed at the time so did not speak my mind but this is the email I sent them in reply.

"I don't think download applications like this are kosher with the CJ Terms of service. I am not interested in "stealing" traffic from competitors. Do you overwrite other affiliate links with this Application? Sounds parasitic very much like Gator. Please correct me if I'm wrong."

I'm ready to can him, just based on what he sent me but just curious if anyone has any other feedback on this one???

Linda Buquet :: Affiliate Management Consultant :: Catalyst eMarketing.com
    5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit ABW Forum
    EveryTicket Sports/Concert Tickets :: Irv's Luggage Warehouse :: Executive Essentials Office & Gifts:
    DentalPlans :: HealthPlans :: Avid Hosting :: IntelliContactPro :: zZounds Music :: Roadloans :: MORE!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Linda thanks for the tipoff.

"The site is one of those earn points by surfing sites." ....."You may also be aware of our 'Travel Pack', a free download that we give to all of our end users which follows our subscribers whilst they surf the net displaying your campaign whenever a user visits one of your competitors web sites. Of course you know your competitors better than we do! Therefore if you could please supply us with a list of the domains of your competitors we can add this into our system immediately."

Kill this Gator/WhenU wannabee before they get a head start on the Christmas season. All Surf to earn web sites in my book should be banned from the internet as a ponzi scheme.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Linda,

I got the same e-mail. I sent a PM to Haiko (with the url) to see if he knew anything about them. Like you, I hesitate to *out* a site until they are proven guilty.

Of course, they are booted if they are parasitic

Scott Marino
    WebUndies.com

CJ ~ 12% commission / 60 day cookies / unlimited actions / parasite free

Terminated this relationship this morning.
    Rick

Rick McGrath
    Partner Development
    JC Whitney & Co.
    affiliatehelp@JCWhitney.com
    800-863-4227 ext. 5681
    AIM: RickJCWhitney

I did too. Plus I reported them to CJ with this message:

----------------------
    Several CJ merchants got the following email. This is Gator like software. Would you really like Irvs Luggage to try to steal sales from Ebags another CJ merchant? I assume their download software is also overwriting other affiliate links. Here is the email we all got. Please investigate.

5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit ABW Forum
    EveryTicket Sports/Concert Tickets :: Irv's Luggage Warehouse :: Executive Essentials Office & Gifts:
    DentalPlans :: HealthPlans :: Avid Hosting :: IntelliContactPro :: zZounds Music :: Roadloans :: MORE!

15 years and counting
    Thanks Rick

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Nice work honest AM's. You guys & gals all need to get together and organize the ABW affiliate manager forum into a powerful force to combat these theftware practices. PS; please divulge the URL of this BHO perp before they have a drive-by install network.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

FYI, I got a VERY fast response from CJ on my complaint. They are investigating, seemed to take it very seriously and will download the app to test it for compliance.
    I will keep you posted.

Linda

I hate to be a party pooper but CJ's past record regarding parasites does not hold much water here on ABW. I would recomend that if they say anything to you regarding parasites like your posted reply, "They are investigating, seemed to take it very seriously and will download the app to test it for compliance." take it with a pinch of salt as it is all a load of hogwash. We have given them proof of overwriting/affid swapping in the form of images and videos yet they still try to give us a load of cr*p about the parasites being in "compliance".

I got my parasiteware t-shirt
    All parasites are scumbags and should be treated as such....STAMP EM OUT!!!
    Take care
    YouTrek.com

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Good work all.

Linda, it's not against ABW's policy to post the URL if the offender is parasitic.

Mike is also right. The AM forum is an excellent place for AM's to be able to discuss such issues more freely than the open boards.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

Moved to the New PointsPassport forum HERE

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    quote:
    FYI, I got a VERY fast response from CJ on my complaint. They are investigating, seemed to take it very seriously and will download the app to test it for compliance.
    I will keep you posted.

The mad hysterics is only from thier response.
    I am glad you don't tolerate this.
    The parasites are multiplying likes flies on sh*t.
    Until the people at all the networks back up their so called non tolerance of this issue they will continue to be more and more prevelant.
    There is no one to stop the parasite developers from being allowed to divert commissions so why would these peole stop developing new ways to beat the system.
    This is like leaving the crook a free key and all the time they want inside a bank vault to help themselves to whatever they want.
    Wake up networks!!!!! Why is it everyone else has the crooked games figured out except you guys????????

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

Just expired them from our program too.

Scott Marino
    WebUndies.com

CJ ~ 12% commission / 60 day cookies / unlimited actions / parasite free

Cyberbounty is paying $1.00 payout to all joiners for this pyle of Gomer ....

Allen

Today is a national day of parasite free shopping.

[This message was edited by Gearshopper on September 04, 2003 at 09:30 PM.]

quote:
    Originally posted by Catalyst:
    I will keep you posted.

I don’t doubt that CJ is taking this seriously. After all, this is a new parasite that isn’t generating any income for our trusted third party. They can afford to take it seriously and terminate them from the network. I can see the day coming when CJ has a big banner on their front page saying that they have terminated 95% of known parasites. Yep, it will be right next to the Ebates Success Story.

Jason
    “I get on my knees and pray, we don’t get fooled again!” – Who said that? I said that!

In case you didn't read the post in the merchant thread in this forum, I canned them from Irvs/Ee and alerted the AM's from RoadLoans and DentalPlans and they did too!
    None of knew this publisher was doing anything shady and we were all more than glad to can them once we discovered what was going on!

I wish CJ would help us police problems like this, because I don't have time to play cop OR detective - that should be the networks responsibility!

It takes away from the time all honest merchants try to devote to helping their honest affiliates.

Linda,
    I hope you didn’t think my comments were aimed at you. Your actions speak for themselves. I was aiming at Commission Junction itself. And it seems that their actions also speak for themselves. A new parasite can emerge and employ certain tactics and be deactivated from the network, while established parasites can employ the same tactics and be hailed as the model for the affiliate world. Seems to be a little bit of a double standard on their part.

Jason
    “I get on my knees and pray, we don’t get fooled again!” – Who said that? I said that!

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    They haven't popped in to Linkshare yet from what I have seen, very CJ focused.

Cheers

Chris

Web Studio-1 Solutions.
    http://www.webstudio-1.com

All Programs :- Low Threshold : High Return Days : Excellent Support : 100% Parasite Free
    Mondera.com : Netmagazines.com : Pierced Body : Irish Photo Shop : DateCam.com : Vegas Experts

A little learning is a dangerous thing; drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, and drinking largely sobers us again. Alexander Pope

quote:
    In case you didn't read the post in the merchant thread in this forum, I canned them from Irvs/Ee and alerted the AM's from RoadLoans and DentalPlans and they did too!

Linda, although you removed them and their coupon does not appear on their site, they are stil showing a pop-up as of this day on EA and Irv's. You should demand they update the users software to remove your stores. Or is updating their BHO product remotely a little over their parasite heads?

Allen

I look for the day, when every affiliate from every nation can climb to the mountain top and yell,
    'Free again, Free Again."

Today is a national day of parasite free shopping.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread