Hello everyone and Happy New Year - this is my first post on this site and I'm fairly new to affiliate marketing so don't shoot me down if I'm talking rubbish!

I notice many people mention that they get a high percentage of reversals on Zappos - I do too but isn't that to be expected given that the free shipping and returns policy? I assumed that people may buy the same shoe in say two sizes and then send a pair back. I guess what I would like to know is that if someone does send one pair back, does the whole sale get reversed or do we still get credited with commission for the one pair that may be kept?

They are supposed to give credit for the shoes kept.

SandraR

I have had quite a few partial reversals.

For me, they seem to reverse about 35% of sales. It usually falls approximately on the 10th of the month. It is always a sad day.

I started getting Zappos sale in mid October and my first reversals came through in December, they were at about 16% (value) of 106 sales, which gave me an effective commission of 12.5%.

Expecting a higher level in January with Christmas presents being returned, but even a 35% return level gives an effective rate of 9.75%.

It's a case of monitor it carefully and keep an eye on what the competitors are doing.

There's been quite a few exceptional reversal rates published here for Zappos, 100%, 50% etc. but without any indication of the numbers involved. I hoping that my 106 sales has some (lasting!) statistical significance for my particular site and sales.

ABW Ambassador
    Paul - having only 16% returned is virtually unheard of with Zappos. Don't count on that happening ever again. Zappos is usually in the 30% ish return area and some have reported (in some months) up to 40% here at Abest.

Thanks for the comments Survey Man, I'm not looking forwards to the 10th (ish). I feel though that with the 15% commish and number of sales I get, compared to what's available elsewhere that it's a worthwhile programme for me. Definitely keeping a VERY tight handle on it though!

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Survey Man:
    Paul - having only 16% returned is virtually unheard of with Zappos. Don't count on that happening ever again. Zappos is usually in the 30% ish return area and some have reported (in some months) up to 40% here at Abest.

I had 50% returned a couple of months ago (any prizes for breaking the record? )

---
    Enlightened Affiliate looking for merchants with datafeeds/low reversals/great CR/no parasites.

ABW Ambassador
    I quit promoting Zappos some time ago because I can't deal with their massive reversals.

When I book a sale, I want to take it to the bank. You can't do that with Zappos.

There's plenty of other merchants that perform well, so why fool around with one that causes so much disruption in your stats and accounting?

I still get an occasional sale but discount it as a likely reversal.

Can anyone recommend another Shoe affiliate?

. . . I think the problems with shoes leading to reversals is that people buy the shoes on impulse knowing that they can just send them back ... SO THEY DO. . .

Hi Heather,
    (I notice many people mention that they get a high percentage of reversals on Zappos - I do too but isn't that to be expected given that the free shipping and returns policy? )

Yes it's to be expected. I factor in a 20% reversal rate every month and have been doing so for 12 months.

We are supposed to get credit if they return and get another pair but this hasn't been cleared up as yet...(put on to do list)

Reversals aren't nice but to be expected,
    and you get them with 99% of programs.

It's a great program and I have nothing but praise for Zappos even though I do have a monthly whinge on reversal day

ABW Ambassador
    I'm really not looking forward to hearing people complain about Zappos, Ebay, etc all during 2004, but it's amusing non-the-less.

Make a resolution to can the crooks once and for all ...and start making the money you deserve pushing honest merchants.

How do you find an honest merchant? One that converts and makes you wealthy? Ironically, many times they're the ones not so talked about on message boards. They're well kept secrets ...affiliates banking thousands every month while finding it amusing listening to whiners complaining about crook merchants year after year.

If the shoe don't fit, send it back.

OK they came, 18.5% of a *significant* number of sales. That gives me an effective commision rate of 12.2% - that'll do me

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread