I'm sure many of you won't like this, and will find some reason to complain - However - I would just like to say that I got this email from Toshiba today, and I think it's a major step in the right direction.

-------------
    Toshiba launched its affiliate program with Commission Junction the first week of November 2003. The program has been successful since its launch due to the dedicated publishers who have been accepted to the Toshiba program. Thank you for your willingness to work with Toshiba in light of no historic EPC in the CJ network.

Many of you have noticed that all transactions from November have been extended. The reason for this action is that after some analysis it was discovered that a significant % of the recorded orders were cancelled for a number of reasons, including fraud. This discovery prompted a complete evaluation of the compensation structure.

We are also aware that the current Commission Junction technology cannot track phone revenue that may be attributed to an individual publisher. However, we have been tracking the phone calls and incremental revenue attributed to the Commission Junction program in aggregate. To remedy this situation we have come up with the following compensation structure and rules.

1) The standard commission structure will remain the same.
    2) All transactions will be extended for 30 days. After the 30 day period, all cancelled online order commissions will be reversed.
    3) An online contribution percentage (OCP) of sales will be calculated for each publisher based on net online revenue. (online revenue less cancellations)
    4) The OCP for each publisher will then be applied toward the aggregate telephone revenue for that given month. Therefore each publisher will be entitled to net online revenues as well as net offline revenues based on their OCP. All revenues will be paid commissions at the standard rate. Since phone revenue can be significant in some months, you may actually receive higher commissions than the system currently indicates.

It is our goal to create the best possible win-win situation for all Publishers and Toshiba. We believe this is the best possible solution given the circumstances and we welcome any input you may have. We look forward to a long and healthy business relationship with you through the CJ network and all of the successes it may bring.

Brandon Portnoff
    Toshiba

-------------------------

Yes some people will be "I want full commissions on phone orders" however, this rarely happens with other merchants. This one is at least admitting there's a problem, and trying a solution, and communicating with affiliates. That, above all else, grants them alot of respect in my books.

quote:
    This one is at least admitting there's a problem, and trying a solution, and communicating with affiliates. That, above all else, grants them alot of respect in my books.

Agreed!

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

Awesome

SandraR

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Dang I didn't even know Toshiba had a program!

I suppose it would be too good to be true that they would have product links too?

Jack Mitchell

How refreshing for a big company like Toshiba to step up to the plate, and admit there's a problem. I admire that from a big company, and I view them with a newfound respect because of this. Instead of running from a problem, or denying there is one, they make an admirable and gutsy gesture.

quote:
    We are also aware that the current Commission Junction technology cannot track phone revenue that may be attributed to an individual publisher. However, we have been tracking the phone calls and incremental revenue attributed to the Commission Junction program in aggregate.
    This sounds like a wake up call for CJ!

Andy

quote:
    We are also aware that the current Commission Junction technology cannot track phone revenue that may be attributed to an individual publisher.
    It is not necessarily the case that we cannot track phone orders. We can, however, depending on the phone system, it can be difficult to integrate. In the end, the advertiser decides how they will integrate and track both online, phone and other types of sales. We prefer them to track online and phone (or minimize their phone numbers) orders but it is not always the decision of the program manager or VP marketing to do these things.

BTW, I too congratulate Toshiba on implementing this policy and communicating it to their affiliates.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

The reason I stopped promoting Toshiba is they have the 800 number plastered everywhere on the site. In general I have made a new rule for myself that if a company plasters their 800 all over the website I am not going to waist my time.

PS... I agree that it is a good step forward but a very small one.

My largest merchant has large 800 posted and also 'sign up as our affiliates and earn $$' posted.

For 800, it is safe because they told me they can only take order online, so they didn't take it on phone.

Why the sign up affiliates, there are always people sign up as affiliate from me and then buy the stuffs. So they take the commission, not me. And I guess these guys must be another 'affiliate' like me, who know what is affiliate program. haha

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread