I know this is a judgement call but what 3 month EPC do people consider worth promoting?

Is there a cut off below which you don't go, or will you promote any merchant who has higher EPC than you do?

f

ABW Ambassador
    A merchant's EPC across the network is not always a good predictor of how they will perform for you. If a merchant appeals to you but their network EPC is on the low side, don't be too quick to write them off. Do some testing and see how it goes.

The most important thing is how the products/services fit YOUR mix. A merchant with a low network EPC could well be one of your personal stars if it's a good match for the traffic you can send.

Example: I have one merchant which reports a 3-month EPC of 3.25 and a 7-day EPC of 1.09. I joined them long before the EPC data was available, but if that 7-day EPC was all I knew about them I wouldn't have bothered joining. However, I knew I could send them some good traffic. My own EPC with that merchant for this year is 17.60. That's over several hundred sales, so the difference is statistically significant (and it shows the benefits of careful targeting). I define "good traffic" as well-targeted visitors, not necessarily massive numbers.

In the end, the most important number to watch is your own EPC with the merchant.

Elisabeth Archambault

ABW Ambassador
    I should also point out that the same principle holds true in the other direction. There are some merchants with a very competitive network EPC but I can't get my own EPC anywhere near that. It all depends on the nature of your traffic.

Elisabeth Archambault

Yeah, thanks for that. I have some pretty good EPC's on average merchants and vice versa [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

What I'm doing at the moment isn't directly related to economic activity on my site. I'm gobbling up statistics, as it were - studying the different EQ's, like on a graphic thingy on a stereo and classifying merchants.

Some I call 'crooks' have a chargeback that is minimal last summer then goes through the roof, 'reformed characters' go the other way. 'Smiley EQ's' are up then down then up again when no ones looking.

Some are constant regardless and I regard these as 'honest but unfortunate'.

I started my studies at the high EPC end and am working my way downwards and I'm interested in the cuttoff point - at which EPC is a merchant beneath your notice, because I'd rather not have to wade through 1400 merchants.

I will stop when I become bored with it all but right now I'm down to $18 EPC. I thought I'd do this now because I don't know if the EPC will be around as a meaningful statistic much longer - if its true that 'credit card fraud' is going to be factored out of the calculation.

f

Don't worry too much about EPC, I've found that the more traffic I get the lower the EPC goes.. probably because a high listing gets lots of people who are 'just looking'.. traffic and sales count more than EPC, so long as you can keep the cost-side (hosting etc) under control

ABW Ambassador
    Regarding credit card fraud being taken out of the calculations, I thought that was for the reversal rate.

Fraud is already taken out of the 3-month EPC. After that long, all the product returns and fraudulent orders will be accounted for and what's left after that what matters. I hope you're doing your graphing with 3-month EPCs!

Elisabeth Archambault

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread