I have a radio show where I give an e-comm tip each week at the end of an hour long program dealing with Iternet issues.
    The next show is tomorrow 6/29/02 1pm MST.

At the last minute I have been informed that my tip needs to deal with e-mail marketing and privacy. I need 6 minutes of content.

The guest is John Levine author of "Internet for Dummies" and "Internet Privacy for Dummies"
    The topic he will be talking about is SPAM!

My tip has to be an honest approach of asking for a browser's e-mail address and what will be done with it once I have it!

Any suggestions?
    :eek:

I'm a great fan of Spamcop which is a subscription-based filtering and reporting system. I think McAfee are going to be doing the same, and other companies already are doing this. It's a sort of flipside to the Spam industry now that's there's a growing ANTI-spam industry, springing up like Anti-Virus software vendors did.

A couple of the worst offenders for Spam-related stuff are Microsoft (Hotmail) and Yahoo who both recently changed the privacy agreements on their mail services without telling you.. and now they share your personal information with whoever they see fit, even if you explicitly said that you DIDN'T want them to do this. For example, because of this change in policy I was somewhat upset to be invited to join a Neo-Fascist political party because they were trying to recruit people from my home town.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shop Boise:
    My tip has to be an honest approach of asking for a browser's e-mail address and what will be done with it once I have it!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Simple enough, do exactly what you say you will do with it - and NO more.

And if you're considering using the phrase "carefully selected marketing partners" anywhere, you're only going to get the email addresses of children, people who've been on the internet less than a week, and very stupid people (or a combination of the three).

Admittedly, this country has a limitless supply of stupid people.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Admittedly, this country has a limitless supply of stupid people.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

@ Scott....greetings from another radio guy over here on the East Coast

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread