ABW Ambassador
    is it alright to register names such as www.ilovenfl.com or www.nhlstore.com As far as copyright or trademark issues.

Errrrrrrrrm Haiko is the expert, but many trademark holders are very aggressive in protecting their trademarks, which will usually include any domain name that contains that trademark. So, those names would probably have trademark problems.

The *content* is where you might get into trouble with copyright (and trademarks again). Especially if you copy logos or other material.

We've had quite a few cases here at ABW where members have been clobbered for trademark infringment, rightly or wrongly.

ABW Ambassador
    I can't speak for the NHL, but I know the NFL is very, very protective of the use of their name. The only time I could see using it is if you are perhaps an affiliate of somebody selling officially licensed products, but even then I'd say it was very risky.

johnniebry,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>NFL and the NFL shield design are registered trademarks of the National Football League. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup, and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. (c) 2000 NHL. All Rights Reserved.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Write them ... legal@nhl.com and legal@nfl.com and ask, without permission it would be an obvious TM infringement case.

Haiko

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread