Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi,
    Does anyone know of a GOOD place where I can find some GOOD, high-traffic domains for sale with great link popularity?
    I already know about buydomains.com
    I want some good cell-phone or webmaster domains.
    But every time I find a site that sells domains... they are crappy. i.e. they have no link pop/traffic
    [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    If you need help finding them, you'll NEVER beat the professionals to them anyway.

You might try Afternic, but it's full of shill bidders cranking each other's bids up, and word is that it's going to disappear soon - most of the site has been removed - forums/chat/appraisals, and I know a number of people that are owed in the order of thousands of dollars from months back from Afternic's DNEscrow ("the only safe way to buy domains" - what a stupid - and incorrect statement).

GreatDomains.com is owned by Network Solutions/Verisign so it's got pretty good backing. The trouble is that most of the domains for sale are crap names at over-inflated prices.

Just occassionally decent names come up for developed sites at auction such as eBay, Yahoo! etc but rarely.

However, you can easily check traffic levels using Alexa and inbound links with Google (e.g. "abestweb.+com" -site:abestweb.com)

There's a magic guesstimate formula for converting Alexa rankings into traffic, but my guess is that anything ranked about 500,000 is going to get you several hundred page views a day.

OK this is a sort of spammy post, but I've got some information about my experiences with domain recycling here and here. There might be some stuff of use to you here.

ABW Ambassador
    I'll be happy to sell you high traffic domains. I have one with 5000/month alone for cell phones.

Just so you know, I'm very experienced at this, having started in 1999 and sold over 500 "high traffic" and recycled domains. I'm the pioneer of this system of gaining traffic.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>anything ranked about 500,000 is going to get you several hundred page views a day.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have sites with Alexa ratings in the 70,000 range and those sites don't get uniques even close to that number. The visits (uniques) number on one for example is 72 per day and the Alexa rating is 79,565. The "hits" number is 2,892 per day but that counts any file moving or not moving so that number doesnt reflect actual visits.

So, in a nutshell the Alexa number, imho should be under 200k or the site really needs to be very tightly targeted.

Anyone else?

ABW Ambassador
    [on soapbox]I've said this before and I'll say it again... DON'T USE ALEXA as the basis for ANY financial decisions, don't use it to guesstimate how many visits a site gets, DON'T USE IT for ANYTHING other than parlor game stats.

I have one site that has fluctuated between Alexa's top 20,000 and top 40,000... near as I can tell, the only difference in the fluctuations are the times that *I* have had Alexa installed for three months running. LOL. My site traffic did not change during those fluctuations.

And I've got a site that was in the 400,000 top when I used Alexa, but now that I don't, it's dropped to the over 1.3 million group, lol! Still getting about 100 visitors per day -- same as when it was 400,000+.

DO NOT USE ALEXA AS THE BASIS FOR ANY FINANCIAL DECISIONS. Please.[off soapbox]

ABW Ambassador
    I recently said in a post where I mentioned Alexa that "it misses a lot" and should be used with caution.

I think I'll dig out that post and put a link to Cedric's comments. It seems my assessment of Alexa was much too generous!

Elisabeth Archambault

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Thanks, Cedric.

When I saw this thread yesterday I was too tired to write a post saying what a TOTAL POS Alexa is, and now I don't have to.

I'll just "ditto" your assertions of their unreliability!

ABW Ambassador
    Alexa's information is completely irrelevent for the topic being discussed. Would you rather buy a domain that has good traffic, or buy a domain with a good Alexa rating?

Decide, because one has almost nothing to do with the other.

Yeah, I could fiddle my Alexa stats the same way, but they do give you a feel for the traffic. Clearly a site ranked 10 million or so is a zero-traffic site, and a site ranked 10,000 or above is pretty good. My experience is that about 600 daily page views is good for a ranking of 500,000 (and I don't run Alexa). It's PART of the equation to consider, because it will tell you at a glance if it's zero-traffic, anything else is Caveat Emptor.

OK, if we establish that Alexa stats are not too accurate but kinda fun, how then would you certify a site's traffic? Is the only option to get hold of site logs or is there a better way of certification?

ABW Ambassador
    >>Is the only option to get hold of site logs

Yes.

>>or is there a better way of certification?

No. Unless it falls into the range of being tracked by one of the major nielsen-type organizations and then you can find out some info, but if you're going to be plonking down bucks that big, my guess is one of your numbercrunchers will be asking for the log files, too. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I guess another basic check is to have a look at archive.org to see how long the site has been around and developed.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >Just so you know, I'm very experienced
    >at this, having started in 1999 and sold
    >over 500 "high traffic" and recycled
    >domains. I'm the pioneer of this system
    >of gaining traffic.

"I am the pioneer". There's always someone claiming it. Care to provide any proof? I think you're FOS.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>"I am the pioneer". There's always someone claiming it. Care to provide any proof? I think you're FOS. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought Al Gore was the pioneer, no I'm wrong he just invented the Internet, but he is FOS too. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

You may find what you are looking for at www.NamesNetwork.com.

Hi Webstud (and welcome!)

There are quite a few domain brokerages, but to be honest they're full of people who are trying to offload crappy no-traffic domains for silly sums of money.

It occurred to me that what we're really talking about is NOT buying a domain name, but actually buying a business, so I looked at it differently and came up with the Businesses for Sale category at Google. The first listing (BizBuySell) lists a number of developed domains with estimated traffic etc.

It's not a quick answer to the problem, but I guess it's a good place to look if you're serious about buying a good online business.

AFFJUS

I just read your post about your cell domain you might sell me?
    5000 hits a month...
    Could you email me about this domain at daweller@hotmail.com
    Or give me a contact?
    Thank you
    -Dave [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I have:

LoanDealer.net - $1000
    LoanRepayments.com - $1000
    VitalBeats.com - $500
    Sharestocks.com - $300
    Marketsurvival.com - $5000
    ComVital.com - $200

If your interested in any of these names email me

mitchellholze@hotmail.com

Hello,

Guys seriously I better way to guestimate the popularity of a site is link popularity. Sites with high link popularity obviously are getting there name out. Go here to check out link popularity of sites http://www.marketleap.com/publinkpop/ http://www.widexl.com/remote/link-popularity/

5K a month in traffic isnt really high traffic!!

i have good SEs, ok link pop at google and 200-300 a day uniques and revenue. im looking to sell!

ABW Ambassador
    Instead of just using google to see link popularity, I use http://www.marketleap.com/publinkpop/

But some of our sites can really skewer this ranking since we offer free email with those domains and that will help the domain appear in the href.

But that does seem to help in being ranked in the search engines so I am not complaining.

I keep trying to become a player but right now am just a contender - 3,000 short right now. (If you go to the site it will make sense).

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Drewbert:
    >Just so you know, I'm very experienced
    >at this, having started in 1999 and sold
    >over 500 "high traffic" and recycled
    >domains. I'm the pioneer of this system
    >of gaining traffic.

"I am the pioneer". There's always someone claiming it. Care to provide any proof? I think you're FOS.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What do you want as "proof?"

When I started this system, (1999) I could process the data for weeks and still pick up every domain I wanted. There wasn't a single person out there doing it. People were buying the "expired domain lists" to look for pc.net [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] But that wasn't what I was doing with them. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] It wasn't till July 2000 that I noticed some of my "prime" prospects were getting taken before I could register them. Humm, "lucky guess" I figured the first few times, but by the end of the week, I realized someone was beating me to them. I'd been doing it for well over a year, so I realized now for the first time, I had competition.

So I redid my software, changed the way I evaluated the data and was on top of the world again for about 1 month. Then someone started picking my cherries again. By December 2000, I had to really start taking chances, just to beat them to the registration. Pretty soon after that, I realized the competition was getting fierce and decided to lay back for awhile. One time for 4 lists in a row, someone bought every domain on the list. We are talking 7000 domains per list. As soon as the list came out, they just registered every one. That's when I stepped back and decided to watch what was going to happen.

I can still find them fast, but I don't have access to the pipeline for the registrations, and that's where I'd loose them. But I already had half a million page views a month and so figured I'd let the system "shake out."

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but back in 2000 I decided I was going to go "public" with my system. I created http://Domain-O-Meter.com and parked them all at http://WebWormHole.com. I offered (and still do) the tracking for free.

I registered phoenixdomains.com, recovereddomains.com & reneweddomains.com to resell the traffic. However, when I tried to originally sell the traffic, no one was buying. They didn't understand the system at all, and w/o giving all the details of the system, they were not trusting. That was frustrating, but understandable. So then I just asked for the url they wanted the traffic on. Give them a weeks worth of traffic and that was the end of the skeptism.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Not sure if that will satisfy you, but it is the truth.

[ 07-04-2002: Message edited by: AffJus ]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by daweller1:
    AFFJUS

I just read your post about your cell domain you might sell me?
    5000 hits a month...
    Could you email me about this domain at daweller@hotmail.com
    Or give me a contact?
    Thank you
    -Dave [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Dave, just wanted to say, sorry, I didn't get back to this thread for a long time, and I had already found a good use for those visitors. Otherwise, I'd sell.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by foreverjason:
    Hello,

Guys seriously I better way to guestimate the popularity of a site is link popularity. Sites with high link popularity obviously are getting there name out.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi foreverjason,

Send me via private email your list of 10 domains you are interested in and I can give you a good estimate for the traffic, no charge. If you find my service of value to you, we can do more.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast