ABW Ambassador
    Is this correct: If a user has cookie set to disable no qksrv and cj.com cookies are set and therefore I do not get credited if this user buys anything from my merchant.

carneol

Most sites operate using cookies so if they have cookies disabled, they would most likely not be shopping online. But yes, if cookies are disabled, cookies cannot be set.

Akiva Bergstrom, Affiliate Partner Manager
    Email: akiva@affsolutions.com | AIM: akivabergs | ICQ: 240820068

M A N A G E D P R O G R A M S

> EssentialApparel.com - CJ/7.5% to 8.5%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free > Join now! <
    > SportsFanfare.com - CJ/10%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free - > Join now! <
    > FunToCollect.com - CJ/11%/120 days Datafeed/Parasite free - > Join now! <
    > FragranceWholesale.com - CJ/10%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free - > Join now! <
    > PetCareCentral.com - CJ/10%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free - > Join now! <

no cookie = no commiss

Web_Novice
    "Should I encounter a moment of clarity, I hope to have it recorded in these journals."

ABW Ambassador
    Yes Akiva, but what about some cookie crasher, which allow cookies, and then when the PC is shut down the cookies are deleted? Or what about Opera users, where cookies are also deleted after shut the browser down?
    Any opinion how much users have this?

carneol

ABW Ambassador
    Cookie washers play a big role in reducing commissions paid to affiliates and I personally don't ever expect merchants to take positions to fight the loss (not that they can do much about it anyway).

The loss of commissions from default settings on new computers agressively blocking cookies, firewalls and anti virus software blocking images and cookie sets, parasites and bho's all actively overwriting cookies, auto cookie setting schemes from affiliates as well as affiliates targeting other affiliate sites via programs like 180 solutions, and then throw in cookie washers and you take a huge toll on the amount of commissions that are paid to legitimate affiliate marketers from their marketing efforts.

Long duration cookies are simply smoke and mirrors in today's world with all the crap going on and this trend will only get worse. Throw in search engine changes designed to push affiliates further and further back in results to increase ppc usage, merchants handing out ppc keyword lists to their affiliates to use (which by the way overwrite cookies just like a parasite does) and well, you have some serious issues to consider going forward.

I recently did some major testing in regards to cookies being overwritten and one of the anti parasitic merchants "right here on ABW" had around 50 percent of the links I tested being interfered with "with no click on a merchant link". The abuse across most of the programs I checked "even with anti parasite merchants" was simply astonishing and would only show that Ecomcity has been hitting the nail squarely on the head.

Will you be a sheep or just be slautered meat? I'll go so far as to suggest you're already getting slaughtered! The networks and the wondering of if the COC would be a meaningful addendum to protect affiliate interest has plainly unfolded and the networks partnering and pushing parasites have clearly showed how enforcement is being handled. Add in that even many of the AM's have to many responsibilities, to little time and to little knowledge in fully understanding what the tricks are and how to monitor and protect themselves and their affiliates and you have some serious concerns. It's open season on cookies and a bunch of affiliates are loaded up with buckshot blasting away at every chance they get.

It is truely a sad and digusting state of affairs that so many of the legitimate affiliate marketers efforts are so easily and so frequently voided and nullified.

My positions and the work I'm doing currently are changing drastically due to these issues. Relying on reliable tracking with cookies is already a joke and in the near future it will be competely laughable.

This is not just an issue that affiliates need to consider. AM's who have their pay dependent on affiliate sales will be just as impacted by these issues and the end result will likely be just as drastic. I've stated for quite some time that the networks openly partner with, turn their heads at interference and push parasites onto merchants for finacial gain. How many AM's are corrupted for these very same reasons?

Ununified affiliates and the small band of anti parasite merchants have done very little to cause effective changes at any broadscale level in this industry. This won't likely change any time soon.

** Have you asked for change? **

ABW Ambassador
    If that small band of anti parasite merchant grows larger and their influence increases as their programs do far better than the less affiliate friendly merchants, eventually, their voices may be heard.

I'm counting on that, trying my very best to promote the programs of the some of the most anti parasite, affiliate friendly merchants and AMs I can find.

If collectively, we put as much support as we can behind the AMs that champion our cause, maybe they can get our collective voices heard.

Parasites are thieves. What are you going to do about it?

ABW Ambassador
    I executed the following test with a cj.com merchant and a inhouse program:
    click 10 times on a link of both:
    result:
    cj.com displays cookies on my machine in 4 cases and in 6 cases not

inhouse: displays cookies in 5 cases in 5 cases not.
    This perhaps gives me a clue what I am losing.

carneol

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread