Here is a question I think that was asked before but I really don't remember the answer. If I put up product links and a visitor clicks on them and then browses the store and buys something else will I get credit? Or is it only for the product that I have on my site. This question is about all the programs out there CJ, Performics, Linksnare and the rest. Thanks All.

[EDIT]
    well done to the person that worked out my url's

your a genius and i'm an idiot, well done
    [/EDIT]

[ 11-07-2001: Message edited by: austin powers ]

austin powers:

what period do those stats cover & what types & prices of products? I use predominantly product links and those product link stats of yours look scary.

From experience, CJ do record any sales that come from a click through on a product link, so if your site shows a blue widget and your visitor clicks on this but buys two yellow half-widgets, you do get credited with the commission for the two yellow half-widgets.

futuresky,

i am sorry that i cant answer your questions, i hope you understand [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

i have another site that uses mostly text links but has about 30 pages with the only adds being product links, in the same time frame the pages with text links earned me about $70 and the pages with the product links generated a little over $6, those 30 pages get *alot* of targeted traffic too

for the record i wasnt offering a definitive answer, just *my* experience

i would love to hear about the experiences of fellow groovers who use both product and text links

quote:
    i am sorry that i cant answer your questions, i hope you understand

No problem - was just thinking that if your "product link" products were highly expensive things like sales of holidays on MIR (errr, bad example I guess seeing as MIR fell into the ocean a whole back!) then that may explain the lack of sales , but if the "product link" products are similar to those you promote through text links then the explanation disappears.

the prices of products i promote range from $20 - $100

do you do ok with product links? have you tried comparing with text links?

i have been promoting a "brand name" product through one particular merchant that i was doing well with through a text link and i took a look at their site today... i was shocked to find that they only had just one product with that brand name, i have text links to several merchants on the same page that offer lots of products with the same brand name so i took their link down and logged into cj to find a merchant to replace them with, once i logged on i ran a report only to find that i had good sales from this merchant overnight so i immediately put their text links back up, i took the moral of the story to be "let the user decide what they want"

you can tell them that your merchant is the best, you can tell them to click your link but you cant tell them they want bacon if they know they want ice cream

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Loved that comment about the bacon and ice cream!!

Since you asked about others' experience with product links, here's mine:

As long as the thing stays in stock, they work fine, with an average-above to average CR.

The main thing for me has been to cruise down the merchant site at least every couple of weeks and make sure the stuff is really in stock!

Also I avoid using the one with the Buy button and just use the picture and text link part. I actually do that so I can write my own spin if I want to...but maybe people also like the fact that the Buy (or whatever you change it to say) button isn't part of the setup then.

On average I've been getting 1 sale per 130 hits (click-thrus), mainly using product links, with a few banners at other places on my site where product links just wouldn't fit right with the content. Don't think I've used exclusively text links anywhere, although I do use link code from some text links in some places. Basically I think I use a mixture of everything. Some of my links were put up in a rush in March when I joined CJ as a certain flower shop stopped their own afiliate program (they still owe me an unspecified amount for about 9 months traffic, which despite emailing and trying to phone, i've gotten nowhere with. Anyhows, despite that I'm still with them thru CJ now and they seem to have been converting OK with a decent epc up to now), and some of those initial ones haven't got the 1x1 pixel, but that should only affect impression counts, nothing else.

Regarding the "buy" button on the product links, yes, I get rid of that and replace it with a "click for price" image. Who in their right mind clicks "buy" without knowing what the price is???? :rolleyes:

[edited to correct "1 sale per 143 hits" to "1 sale per 130 hits"....memory fade when originally posted]

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: futuresky ]

Thanks for the feedback all.

Futuresky, I agree that buy button has to go. Imagine a first time shopper on the internet see's that button and thinks should I or shouldn't I click it. Hmmm, will it get my credit card number and then I have to buy it. I would never use the links with BUY. Another idea might be to have it say More Info.

Great. Time to go over some stats with a fine tooth comb. I just increased traffic to one merchant who I was having at least a 2-3% CR with (and nice commissions), but my CR has dropped under 1%! CTR is still high, so folks are getting to their site.

The thing is that I got the extra traffic by making pages much more specific to their various products and sent visitors directly to the department with the ?url=http... redirect. If these pages aren't tracking sales for some bizarre reason (and why would they track the clicks and not the sales? Cookie not set properly on a redirect??), that could explain the drop.

The plot thickens, and I will have to look at some stats.

If you put that together with what Austin says about redirected product links, you might have an answer.

I haven't got any page redirects because I just didn't understand the instructions. If I can't understand them neither will the average merchant - they seem to know even less than me about technical issues. The only recourse most of them have seems to be to ring CJ and demand it gets sorted.

f

Personally, I'm not convinced yet. I need to look over what's going on with my pages. I know that when I tested the links at the time of page design, the AID and PID showed up on the internal landing page. The pages are getting a relatively larger amount of traffic than previously due to google. I may just have to get used to a lower CR with google traffic than ppc traffic. As I said, I need some time to go over the pages, and see which links are paying.

Also, there are merchants who have disabled the deep linking. I wrote to one recently to ask why.

The redirects are really quite simple. All you need is Hex codes to redirect the link.

It has absolutely nothing to do with whether the merchant understands how they work or how they're set up.

It does have something to do with whether the webmaster understands how to set them up. But if you get the code wrong, they just go to the default landing page. Done that one, too. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Too premliminary to say, but a brief spreadsheet setup of the links, their data from cj and which pages I've got them on (whether they are redirects or not), seems to indicate that my redirects track just fine. Yesterday had a sale that landed a nice $22.76 commish from a page where the link is redirected to an internal page of the merchant.

This reminds me of one Leader's posts on the ancient CJU boards. She said something like as long as the merchant site is set up well for navigation, you can land your visitor on the front page and who knows if they'll add some other goodies to their shopping basket.

I seldom link to a page which is only information about the one product whose picture was the link(depends on the merchant site and the product, though). I usually try to link to a department index page if the merchant has several departments, and if navigating between the departments is easily done. Just saves them clicks to get to the appropriate department.

I'll try to do this again at the end of the month when I should have a more reasonable amount of data to make some conclusions.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    I may just have to get used to a lower CR with google traffic than ppc traffic.

This matches my experience. I track my PPC promotional pages separately from my main shopping directory pages (which get over half their traffic from Google) It's quite common for the same merchant to have an EPC that's two or three or even more times higher from PPC promotions.

The pages are quite different so it's to be expected that people behave differently, but I also think that part of the difference is that in PPC search engines you can bid on a ton of relevant phrases even if they don't actually appear on the page. This gets your listing in front of well-targeted visitors who might not have found the page in a regular search engine.

Any other theories?

Elisabeth Archambault

Missing merchant cookies on landing pages? I can't say I understand tracking anyway, but someone sets a cookie somewhere, or they should do and it can be commented out if I've got this right.

Perhaps some of your new links track and some do not. It might be worth checking to see what days and times your sales come in, in case there are any unexplained gaps esoecially at weekends.

Thanks for the help on the redirects, but its like the soccer offside rule - I'm never going to understand it no matter how long I try [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

f

sitting on my hands trying so hard to be nice. :eek:

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread