A reputable company has approached me to find webmasters willing to sell their website(s).

They are interested in finding websites that meet the following criteria;
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>7,000 or greater unique visitors daily (~200k+ /month)
    <LI>Related to one of the following areas;
    Female audience specific - eg. Lifestyle, cooking & women's interest websites.
    Website services - eg. Established free website hosting, hosted forums & hosted polls.
    Technology, and
    Entertainment
    <LI>Quality content
    <LI>Low maintenance (in terms of hours)
    <LI>Reasonably consistent income[/list]

Preference will be given to websites with unique content and established user bases. Ideally, individual websites will be not worth greater than $50,000 each. All serious enquiries are welcome, and your correspondence will be treated with confidentiality.

You can reach me directly at offers@djcl.com.

If a site has that much quality traffic (200,000 unique visitors per month), it should be generating AT LEAST $50,000 per year in profit (2 cents per unique visitor) and possibly as much as that per month (25 cents per unique visitor). To buy a site like that for less than $50,000 would be quite a steal.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

What he said.

I would make about 25k per month with that or 300k per year. To sell it for 50k I'd be taking a quarter million dollar loss.

The key word as Michael said is, quality traffic. I do have an entertainment site that generates quite a bit more traffic than that. However, much of the traffic is people checking out photos of their favorite celebrity. However, for $100K, I might consider taking the year off!

I would never sell a site for 1x annual earnings. If I were making $300,000 per year from a site, I would probably want more like $3,000,000 from it, or 10x annual earnings. That would be equivalent to a public company being traded with a P/E ratio of 10, which is quite low. I think a multiple of 10 may be a bit high for private online companies, but it certainly isn't unreasonable.

But if the company you're talking to can find people who will sell for $50,000 or less, more power to them.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Michael,

Thank you for your concern. I think Spencer put it quite nicely to describe what we're after – entertainment websites. Along with women's interest websites, web services websites and technology websites. I fully understand that most webmasters on a forum like ABestWeb will run highly efficient, monetized websites designed to sell products. On these kinds of websites it would be ludicrous to suggest that the traffic is only worth 2c per visitor, when a market price would be much higher. I myself run some websites designed to sell products, and I wouldn't dream of selling these at 2c per visitor! That's why we're not trying to buy those websites.

If you look at my first post – we're after specific areas which are typically not worth the same amount (per visitor) as the "shopping portals" many members here run (myself included). We're looking for quality content websites, which will most likely rely solely on incomes generated from CPM and CPC programs such as Advertising.com, Google AdSense and TribalFusion to name a few. These are not websites designed to specifically sell products, and we believe we are offering suitable remuneration for these specific types of websites. I also run a few websites like these – a celebrity website where the visitors are much more interested in free pictures than products – and I would sell most likely sell instantly at the opportunity of around 1c per visitor for yearly traffic statistics.

Although to be honest, it's really up to the webmasters who own these types of websites – if they like our offer, they will hopefully continue to contact us and we can reach prices suitable for both parties.

(BTW, if you're worried about all those "we"'s above, I'm referring to both myself and the company I'm doing this for - I wouldn't consider an offer like this unless I thought it would be ethical and fair.)

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread