I have traced the Burst Media eBay popups to PID 1341239. I have no idea who they are but since they are using QKSRV they must be an affiliate and not eBay direct.

They are paying to dollar on Burst. I wonder if they can survice this 30% cut. Probably. I'm not sure we will though.

My question is, does the contract with CJ allow someone to place advertisements on a website without their knowledge?

This has hurt me in two ways since I not only have someone popping up oodles of inderict cookie setters, but I had to instruct Burst not to turn on any campaings automatically. So now I have to take time to manage those myself for the little money they bring in.

Now for the contract:

Section 1(c):

(c) engage in spamming, indiscriminate advertising or unsolicited commercial email.

How can this not be indiscriminate?

Section 2.2:

2.2 Use of Links to Advertisers. You may not place Links to an Advertiser's Web site or Web site content in newsgroups, message boards, unsolicited email and other types of spam, banner networks

This affiliate is posing links in banner networks.

"it is reasonably likely that the Links will deliver bona fide Transactions by the Visitor to Advertiser from the Link"

Buying a bazzilion untargetted ads is really using a shotgun approach hoping. Indirectly setting a cookie on an unsuspected browser is more like lie and wait.

Is this affiliate in violation?

I traced them to this URL:

Could they be running these under multiple CJ/BeFree accounts?

Is this from Burst?

I didn't check all of them but they are using three levels of redirection to pull this off.

That's the one I checked a couple of weeks ago. They may have switched over to CJ because of the merger, so the new links may be pointing to the PID you mention. I haven't tried tracking it yet.

Yes, when I tracked them, there were 3 layers of redirects.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread