Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Let's keep that discussion alive! My revenue is increasing, and I am becoming more concerned with the well being of all publishers. let's get our stuff together and organize.

BTW, good news to report! I am ranked no. 3 on the first page results at aol.com for the keyword coupons! Yippee - now if Google would just start it's new index [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[ 10-27-2001: Message edited by: Big Chuck ]

Great news Big Chuck!!

I have some good Union organizing links if you are interested. There are people who will help.

I think the first thing is to see what big Union you would want to be affiliated with. Then contact them and they will help you to set it up and get orgainzed.

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    I am talking about a union for web publishers (affiliates), Vicki.

hehe [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

an affiliate union would be a great idea if affiliates could agree on anything

That means us, the affiliates, the ones who place the links on their sites, right?
    That is what I am talking about.

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Yeah I don't think picketing in front of our houses with signs saying I'm getting screwed would be very effective. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

seriously,

what can we agree on?

are we going to all simultaneously dump all merchants with a cookie duration of less than 30 days?

are we going to all simultaneously dump all merchants that have affiliate links on their sites?

are we going to all simultaneously dump all merchants that have a high chargeback?

i cant see it, what can we agree on?

cyber-punk, you are unknowingly on to something. I don't believe so much that a union would be effective but as you were making those points on what we can or can't agree on, I was thinking it's the education that is really needed.

Yes drop merchants with less then a weeks cookie duration, drop em if they have a high chargeback and drop em if they a have site leaks.

Tis a fine idea if someone could make it work... It's kind of like the guy that keeps trying to circle the world in a baloon. No one is with you until you succeed. :rolleyes:

quote:
    Originally posted by cyber-punk:
    seriously,

what can we agree on?

are we going to all simultaneously dump all merchants with a cookie duration of less than 30 days?

are we going to all simultaneously dump all merchants that have affiliate links on their sites?

are we going to all simultaneously dump all merchants that have a high chargeback?

i cant see it, what can we agree on?

As Heyder basically said ... yes!

We'll make a list of all the suspicious merchants and then drop them on the same day .... the merchant will not last long, if they do not amend their programs so that we aren't ripped off any more!

----------------------------
    Heyder,

When is Tina Due?

Haiko

ABW Ambassador
    In theory it works well, but in practise, I don't think it will work all that well.
    Sure I'm all for advancing affiliates, but boycotting merchants will prove nothing.

My *best* merchant has a zero-day cookie. There is not a hope in hell I would give up all that income for a union.
    The problem is that this is a business, and every savvy businessperson should be looking for ways to get an edge over competitors.

eg. If you guys stopped promoting ink cartridges because all the merchants day 3 day cookies, you can be guaranteed that I (and a lot of other publishers) will be rolling out our own ink sites.

Theory fine, Practise - probably not going to be all that effective.

Pete

Like some people are saying, it might work in theory but in practice who knows. For example : I would probably join but being the lazy bastard that I am I would most likely end up doing $hit all.

I say someone should give it a go and see what would happen, it could work if you get a good group to start it off.

ABW Ambassador
    IMO
    It's not all about weeding out the bad merchants.

If any union is to be taken seriously the membership must be respected.
    So...
    It's also a chance to weed out the problem affiliates that run banner farm pages, use materials from other sites without the owners consent, and sending the merchant untargeted traffic as in francis post here. http://www.abestweb.com/cgi-bin/ubb/...c;f=9;t=000005

@Haiko
    That Bug is still infesting some links by adding space [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

[ 10-28-2001: Message edited by: Guffy ]

Haiko, Oct 23rd but still no baby. That's nothing unusual for her, she's always late. Should be within the next couple of days.

There is a problem with unions - and thats the element of compulsion. I come from a part of the world that was heavily unionised and I saw a lot of people who had a choice - get bullied by the Bosses or get bullied by the Unions.

'Course you could always be Management and get bullied by *both* sides. Haiko [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I just had a long talk about this with my flatmate, and he suggests an 'association' instead - 'a bunch of like minded individuals getting together'. Which is what we have here anyway, only without the name.

My thinking is this - I hate one day cookies yet I'm putting up Amazon links because they seem the least worst option. Its insurance against the day CJ goes belly up. I'm not about to remove these.

I'm going to keep choosing the least worst option until there is an entirely satisfactory one. What I would like to do is rate merchants. You get a star for paying up, another for paying up fast, another for a 30 day cookie, another for a 45 day cookie, another for having no leaks etc...

Any merchant with less than than a specified number of stars does not get Certified. The thought of losing your certification should give naughty merchants sleepless nights.

A merchant would have the right to post their affiliate certification rating, which when clicked on should lead back here to their stats and to a list of similarly certified merchants.

I think anything with a more traditional union type structure is going to cause more arguments among ourselves. We are all in this because we value our independence not because we want to be told what to do.

The star rating would give more flexibility, I think, than a set of dictats and give merchants a carrot as well as a stick.

f

[ 10-28-2001: Message edited by: francis ]

[ 10-28-2001: Message edited by: francis ]

The affilate union is a forum for spam. I was associated with for a while and was flooded with spam promoting the pages of a few of the associates. These people have absuletly no concept of how set up and run an organization.

I don't think a union would work.. this industry just isn't suited to it. Most CJ affiliates probably never even saw the CJU boards.
    Chuck - I said last month I was going to try for 'grocery coupons' on Google, I got in the top 20.. that should earn me about 50c.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by freesurf:
    The affilate union is a forum for spam. I was associated with for a while and was flooded with spam promoting the pages of a few of the associates. These people have absuletly no concept of how set up and run an organization.

In actuality, the Affiliate Union (www.affiliateunion.com) is run by some extremely successful business folks. Most of them run more than one firm, and I know for a fact that there are some serious players on the board.

Obstinatedon

ABW Ambassador
    Maybe the affiliate union idea is not the right approach, but I would like to see web publishers/affiliates form some type of group that carries some weight to it. I realize this is free enterprise, and we are business people. However, we are also ending up on the short end of the stick on some issues. One of the reasons an advertiser can drop their cookie duration to a day, is because they can. One of the reasons advertisers can drop their commission to 5 cents a lead, and 1-3%, is because they can. I feel that a group of web publishers/affiliates that are organized would have some influence/impact in these areas. I just don't know, at this time, what the viable solution would be. My idea of the affiliate union was an attempt to draw some feedback to bring about solutions. I realize some web publishers are playing the role of the bottom partner (the one taking it in the rear, and enjoying it) with advertisers and third parties, like snare, and cj, do not have the balls to say, or do anything.

[ 10-29-2001: Message edited by: Big Chuck ]

Big Chuck,

I think I know what you have in mind. Check out this URL... http://www.auctionusers.org/

It is a group of auction users that banded together so they could have a clear voice when dealing with eBay. ( I am not a member, so don't get me for spaming [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] )

They are very respected and eBay does listen to them, although they don't always get their way.

I can tell you they worked very hard to get this thing going and it hasn't been easy, but they have been around for a couple of years now and are major player in the auction industry. It can be done!

Ps This time of the year would be a great time to visit you and watch the sunset over Mobile Bay [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

John (Tribune),

Welcome!

----------

The crux of the problem has always been with the "Trusted" Third Party Solution Provider and the merchant sign up!

If the solution provider has to bend over (batching, cookies etc) then we do also!

Once, we as affiliates, join together (in serious numbers) and call some shots and change the way business is offered / conducted and they [CJ etc] will have to listen!

Until then .... we got shoot!

Haiko

Hey Haiko,

Thanks for the welcome. My newshat is off to you for your efforts. I know what you are doing isn't easy. Taking care of business and running these boards can burn some people out.

quote:
    Until then .... we got shoot!

WTF, can you say shoot on these boards?

Take Care

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks John. I'll check out the link. Heyder is right; until we have the numbers, we aint squat (shoot? lol).

I want to encourage everyone to keep this discussion alive, and don't let the tail kissers discourage you. There is a way for our voices to be heard. The direction we take, in order to be effective, will to have an impact on the money third party solutions and advertisers make. Now, if we can think of a way of doing this without putting a dent in our pockets it'll be all good. Remember; our business, and their business is all about money. If you are going to put 'em on their knees, you gotta get 'em where it counts - by what's in their pockets. Money talks.

If you have the ability to destroy something, you have the ability to control it

[ 10-30-2001: Message edited by: Big Chuck ]

unions suck!

an affiliate union just isnt going to work, ever! because of the reasons already mentioned

what we really need is an affiliate vigilante movement

we could make famous the the strategy that telocity used, we should make sure that every affiliate knows, we should take it upon ourselves to make sure that these advertisers that use such underhand tactics do not ever make a success of their buisness on the web after pulling the stunts that they do

it wouldnt be to hard to do, what i am proposing is searching for sites that promote merchants that have let us down in the past and then several of us email these webmasters and let our stories be told, the affiliates that we email would have broader information which will help them choose whether they really want to promote that merchant and if so they can go ahead and do so, much better than a "down tools" approach

i suppose that you could call it "negative viral marketing"

each affiliate who receives one of our emails could be invited to join us in our pro-active approach to fraudulent merchants

what do all of you fellow groovers think?

one things for sure, if this where to take off it would put the willies up the fraudsters :eek:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast